UK...what's next?

letabrotherspeak

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really want to compare the Freshman and sophomores on that UNC team and what UK has now? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you think that no matter what it's a 3 year setback? I think that's a joke. It certainly could happen but soooooooooo much has to play out to make a logical guess at the setback.

Here's what's next...

..immediately, some sever mediocrity from the Wildcats....then a chance at rebuilding, but only if everyone buys in...this is a 3 year setback, no matter which way people would like to spin it.

That's true, but when people say that they are implying that it would have been different had Tubby stayed. That's not the case...had Tubby stayed we were still looking at mediocrity, which is what we got the last two years...all you hear is Patterson and Lucas, but forgive me if I had doubts that we were going to get them anyway...I mean Tubby had been on this guys for a while and couldn't seal the deal...that says something to me.

Tubby seems to be a great person and I wish him well at Minnesota, but this is a good move for both sides, IMO. I don't question Tubby as a coach. I questioned him being a good fit at UK.

So you think that no matter what it's a 3 year setback? I think that's a joke. It certainly could happen but soooooooooo much has to play out to make a logical guess at the setback.
Did I say that? No!!! I'm simply saying you can't compare what was left in the cupboard at UNC to what is currently in the stable at UK, there not even in the same universe.

That's true, but when people say that they are implying that it would have been different had Tubby stayed. That's not the case...had Tubby stayed we were still looking at mediocrity, which is what we got the last two years...all you hear is Patterson and Lucas, but forgive me if I had doubts that we were going to get them anyway...I mean Tubby had been on this guys for a while and couldn't seal the deal...that says something to me.

Tubby seems to be a great person and I wish him well at Minnesota, but this is a good move for both sides, IMO. I don't question Tubby as a coach. I questioned him being a good fit at UK.

They were set to announce a dual signing together at the McD's game... were being the key word now.

Color me as shocked.

I was shocked at how quickly this went down. I fully thought OTS would return for another year with some new assistants.

Tubby evidently thought so as well. He was recruiting on Monday and so were his assistants and offered an in-state kid. He was at the Sweet 16 working the stands and watching Matt Walls on Wednesday.

Then today, and all the fireworks went off.

It is a downer because I had hoped Tubby could turn it around. However, it is likely the best for all parties involved. Things had gotten stale.

So how did this go down.

I was told by a friend that there was some smoke between Tubby and Minnesota two weeks ago. My friend dismissed it and I did as well when we were told this. Same source told my buddy that Alford was headed to New Mexico. Turned out to be true.

In the meantime, OTS never spoke one on one until this morning with Minnesota.

There is some dispute about whether or not OTS and Barnhart met. I was told there is a strong opinion that Barnhart and OTS met this morning and the ultimatum was laid out to get rid of some assistants. Tubby balked. Tubby was keeping status quo. Assistants were recruiting as of last night.

Upon disagreeing with Barnhart over the ultimatum, Tubby called Minnesota and spoke with them for the first time saying if they wanted him, he would be interested in coming. Then the other parties hammered out the contract and OTS was on his way to the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

A lot can be said of the UK fan base. Much of it will be negative. I think Gregg Doyel, Pat Forde, Mike DeCoursey, and Dan Wetzel have essentially vouched for UK fans.

So where does the focus turn?

For one, I don't see how Barnhart can go through the process without least making a sincere overture at Donovan. I agree. He has to at least make an overture to get Donovan. Can he get him, possibly, but he may have to wait.

Then the pecking order will include many others.

One thing I get a chuckle out of is the one name many will immediately discount...Rick Pitino. Everyone knows how Barnhart and Jurich have had their differences, it seems, a game of one-upmanship. What if Barnhart could reel in Pitino from Louisville?

I cannot even begin to even think that...but money will not be an issue here.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

A weird day but one that should be a very interesting ride.

Nice post and I totally agree with the bolded. I think Donovan has to be #1 and UK has to make a serious run at him. Despite what some think, and I could be wrong, I think UK has legit chance to pry him away from Florida. If he refuses, then we go from there. But, here's what I think, if Mitch wants Billy D bad enough, he'll be the next coach at UK.

They were set to announce a dual signing together at the McD's game... were being the key word now.

Maybe...there's no way to prove that, so it's easy to say now. In any case, I don't care...two guys aren't going to make or break our program. If they want to play for Tubby that bad, then they know where to find him...

Did I say that? No!!! I'm simply saying you can't compare what was left in the cupboard at UNC to what is currently in the stable at UK, there not even in the same universe.

:thumb:

Dougherty recruited well, he just couldn't coach....Tubby was a good coach, he just couldn't recruit...just as opposite as what the two left behind...McCants, Felton, May vs. Morris, Bradley, Crawford....hmmm....:D