All Star Game

Is it possible that some coaches who are members of KABC will not vote for schools who are not. Also I think a lot of players would get votes from their own coaches and Queen cannot. If the Rose Hill coaches do not vote she is losing votes.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I guess I’ll throw my hat in the ring. First, I’ve said for many years (and many posts on BGP) that I don’t believe all-tourney teams, MVPs, POYs, etc… should even be awarded. This thread is exactly why I feel this way. Because of the subjective voting of these awards, there will always (and I truly mean always) someone who feels they have been slighted.

I hear people say that they miss “old school” basketball when working as a team was the most important thing. It was a compliment when a player sacrificed his/her stats for the good of the team. These individual awards are a contradiction to what the game of high school basketball should be about.

A few years ago, I witnessed a team win a district title, but a player on the winning team was not awarded the MVP trophy. She was crying hysterically because the award was given to another of her teammates. While bothering me immensely, I also realized this was a teenage girl who just wasn’t old enough to control her emotions.

Unfortunately, most of the comments about voting results of the KABC POY are from adults. I realize that all of the 16th region girls have fans and parents who love them and want to protect them. But a thread with approximately 50 posts complaining about who won the award just prolongs the disappointment for the non-winners. Many posters say “I am not criticizing the winner” but then say another girl is more worthy. Well, even with the caveat, the winner is going to feel criticized even if it is not intended. Now even the ONE girl who should feel happy is also made to feel bad. Once again, no one wins, partly due to the comments of adults.

Bottom line – Have these awards and accept the results regardless of the possible voting motives. Or don’t have the award at all. I suggest the second option

The only real problem I have with this whole discussion is that does any of it really matter? I mean as stated in a previous thread, Emily has secured her future at MTS and should have a great career there as well as receive a great education. Being selected to the All-star game or being named Miss Basketball albeit would be nice, but it won't change her situation for her future. Why must we get so caught up in the individual comparisons of teenage kids that we miss what really took place this year in our region. We had FIVE division one signees to play basketball! That to me is better than any all-star team. Emily and her supporters are only human in feeling like she is being slighted, but when the day is done my girl, you know what you are worth, and nobody can change that.

^ All well and good but it still does not take away from the fact that she was not on the team and should have been. Yes, she has her D1 signing and lots of other awards but that still does not let me and others understand why Emily, the best player in the region and one of the best in the state, was not on this team when it is very clear that she deserved to be on it. And if Rose Hill players could not be voted on, as was posted on here earlier by someone, then how did Laura get on there instead of another 16th region player who did not get to go to the state tournament? People can dance and dance around the facts all they want but this is just another example of a Rose Hill player, and there has been male and female, who have not been recognized fairly for awards over the past three or four years.

No Rose Hill players were voted to play in the all-star game because they made to to the state tournament. If they had won and ended up playing today they would have no reason to play in the all-star game but nobody knew who would win or not so couldn't put state tournament players in the game.

One and only one, very definitive post entered in this thread. If we can take this statement as FACT, then how were players selected from teams who were at the state tournament but not playing in the championship?

Was there a committee at the tournament looking for players to fill out the all-star teams?

Did the coaches of the East and West teams get to pick who they wanted to fill out the teams?

Did the coach of each team attending the state tournament get to nominate a player from their team to represent in case they were not invovled in the championship?

Try as I might, no matter what the mechanism, I can't come up with a scenario that would explain the whole question posed by this thread.

Some things happen in life that you look at and can never really make sense of. No explaination will ever be given that will justify this in the minds of those who know what would have been RIGHT!

NUF SAID!

Clarification of how all stars for this game were picked.

All votes are for seniors.

KABC Player of the Year gets an automatic bid (Fortman), then the next highest vote getter gets to play as well (Terry).

Each person that pays the $15.00 KABC membership gets to vote for player of the year. So lets say all of your coaches, Varsity, JV, Freshmen and then 8th and 7th grade pay, they are allowed to vote. If one school has at least 5 votes they are more than likely going to vote for their own player. Then you could always pay membership for your scorekeeper and statistician if you wanted as well and get a couple of more votes.

I would think Terry and Queen split some votes and Queen just ended up on the short stick.