All Star Game

This has absolutely nothing...nothing whatsoever to do with who plays and who doesn't, winning and losing and handling adversity. One's abilities and accomplishments are not measured by another's vote. It has everything to do with using the KABC as a platform to make statements about matters other than on-court performances of the players...and naiveté reigns supreme if one denies it.

Then why are you so upset? Emily is a great bball player and has recieved a great scholarship. For her, high school is over now. Look at the future and put all this bubble gum stuff behind. There are not many athletes, male or female, that can say "I got a D1 scholarship!" It's tough being a parent of a great athlete.

Please pm me and explain why Emily would be slighted by so many coaches. Could it be that it is nothing against her but against her father for something?

Everyone is talking about all these Miss Bball votes, weren't these votes already done before this new all star thing, therefore not having any effect on Miss Bball voting? Are the same people voting for both?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why are you so upset? Emily is a great bball player and has recieved a great scholarship. For her, high school is over now. Look at the future and put all this bubble gum stuff behind. There are not many athletes, male or female, that can say "I got a D1 scholarship!" It's tough being a parent of a great athlete.

Please pm me and explain why Emily would be slighted by so many coaches. Could it be that it is nothing against her but against her father for something?

And even fewer high school students can say they were Miss Basketball. I myself don't know exactly why Queen was slighted or why Kala Faulkner was slighted the year before and why Pam was also slighted both years. But the evidence is in front of you.

And even fewer high school students can say they were Miss Basketball. I myself don't know exactly why Queen was slighted or why Kala Faulkner was slighted the year before and why Pam was also slighted both years. But the evidence is in front of you.

Are you referring to stats of all the young ladies? What I mainly get out of all the posts is that Fortman is not deserving? As I stated before, it seems to me that there were a few/several girls in the 16th very deserving of POY. Obviously, the voters felt Fortman had the best yr of the bunch. Maybe Queen had a better career but this is a yrly. award not a career award.

This argument could go on and on debating who is better than who but guess what, it's over and done and nothing anyone on BGP can do to change that. All the girls mentioned are going to college to continue their bball careers and more importantly get a FREE EDUCATION. Parents/families and friends of all the mentioned girls should be proud of these players, you all did well.

Everyone is talking about all these Miss Bball votes, weren't these votes already done before this new all star thing, therefore not having any effect on Miss Bball voting? Are the same people voting for both?

Please quote a post of mine that is unseemly or out of line. I didn't start this thread, but like others can't help but wonder about the outcome...a perfectly ordinary response. It amazes me that when one attempts to simply discuss something rationally, he is accused of being upset.

As for Emily being slighted, how could I answer that? I don't know what was in the mind of voters. That's what this entire discussion is all about...trying to understand the vote.

I've stated my support for the top vote getters. My family and I are going to the game. We will support them. What more can I do to demonstrate that I have the same mature understanding of the matter as you? I simply have the same natural curiosity as other observers.

As for something "her father" may have done...well, you've stumped me there...and I think you are the one that has stretched the discussion with that suggestion. But wouldn't that be interesting?:D

What I mainly get out of all the posts is that Fortman is not deserving?...Obviously, the voters felt Fortman had the best yr of the bunch. Maybe Queen had a better career but this is a yrly. award not a career award.

I and others have gone to great lengths to keep from criticizing Jessica Fortman. Nothing is as obvious as you suggest...by any standard of measurement, career, current year or head-to-head meetings between the teams...thus the natural reaction and questions to the outcome. No one is storming the court here; we're just kicking the matter around.

Best wishes to the East squad in this charity game. Hopefully, the game will raise a lot of money for some very worthy causes. And, as a 16th Region fan, I hope our two fine representatives, Fortman and Terry, are the two who lead the East to victory.

It appears Fortman and Queen had comparable statistics this year but Rose Hill

played a way tougher schedule. To my eyes this makes Queen the obvious number one choice. This probably lead to Russell not winning the District or Region also. Plus the great play of Rose Hill of course.

I did not say anything about anyone saying anything out of line. Unfortunately, we all interpret what we read differently. Maybe 'upset' was a poor use of the word but it does seem alot of RH fans are in disagreement(better?) w/POY/COY choices for the 16th region.

As for dad making someone or in this case a bunch of people mad about something, as you said, 'I am just kicking the matter around my friend!' Again, the main question is why the voters, in some's opinion, have slighted Emily Queen by not voting for her. On paper it seems to be a no brainer. I have never seen RH play, how do these kids carry themselves on the floor, what is their demeanor on and off the floor, does everyone in the region dislike the coach? Maybe these are some of the reasons the kids are not getting recognized by the rest of the region. Again, just kicking up the matter.

Jessica Fortman was in the top 5 in EVERY statistical category. She indeed was very worthy of this honor.

Emily won the 16th MVP and got another trip to Bowling Green with the rest of her team. I GUARANTEE Jess would trade POY and this all-star game for her final high school game in Diddle Arena with the rest of her Devil teammates!!!

That being said, of course Emily should be playing in the game, but it just didn't work out. I'm positive she will fill her all-star game quota before going to MTSU, and if the trip isn't too awful far, will be there rooting her on.

As far as top 2 vote getters getting to play in the game, I'm assuming the 15th had a tie...3 players representing 15th??

I believe that Fortman and Terry both deserved to be in this game but how in the world do they, the powers that be, justify keeping one of the at least top 10 players in the state out of the game? And if this has anything to do with dislike for a coach, a parent or anything else that does not have anything to do directly with what Emily Queen was able to accomplish on the court then shame on them. This makes two years in a row that the Lady Royals have been slighted in one postseason award or another and it is just wrong, no other way of putting it. And I am saying this as someone who has not been a fan of Rose Hill over the years but as a former official, coach and player I cannot deny obvious talent, Ms. Queen, and obvious wrong doing, her being left off of this all star team.

No Rose Hill players were voted to play in the all-star game because they made to to the state tournament. If they had won and ended up playing today they would have no reason to play in the all-star game but nobody knew who would win or not so couldn't put state tournament players in the game.

No Rose Hill players were voted to play in the all-star game because they made to to the state tournament. If they had won and ended up playing today they would have no reason to play in the all-star game but nobody knew who would win or not so couldn't put state tournament players in the game.

If that is the case how did Laura Terry get on the team? Was she a replacent for someone else? And if Rose Hill making the tournament was an issue then why did they take Laura and not another 16th region player whose team did not make the tournament? All seems very strange to me but Big Bubba and many others will be the first to agree that I am a little slow. :creepy: :sssh:

Rose Hill losing in the Sweet 16 gets 45 comments in the thread. Their best player not making some all-star team gets 41 comments. Anyone else see something wrong with this picture?

Queen is the all time rebounding and scoring champ for the 16th Region. She lead the region this year in both stats. She lead her team to two District and two Region championships. Rose Hill the team got out played in the tournament. I would think there should be quite a few more comments on her than a good team beating a good team. Not only was she the best player this year, she is in the running for best ever from the 16th region.