Coaches Association All 10th Region Teams

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say what hurt her was having 3 teammates on the list. It would be hard pressed to vote for 4 players off of one team that is not dominating the region while excluding single players from other schools.

As I look at the list, not a single player in those first 15 names that is not deserving of the honor.

Outside of Prewitt and Kelsch, a good number of those players on the second 10 should be on the Honorable Mention list at best. Torrey Chambers belongs on that list somewhere and to exclude her totally..... is terrible.

Maggie Prewitt- Montgomery County (placed here probably means she was the 6th vote-getter)

Erin Carmack- Deming (I believe she is one of only 3 players to average a double-double for the season)

Natalie Kelsch- Pendleton County (averaged right at 17 ppg and 7 rpg)

Hillary Butsch- Bishop Brossart (13 ppg which put her right in the top 10 in the region in scoring)

Emily Hinkson- Paris (10 ppg and 8 rpg)

Third Team

Cheryl Rutherford- Saint Patrick (at 10 ppg and 10 rpg, the 3rd person to average a double-double for the season. Molly Norton on the 1st team is the first one with 13 ppg and 10 rpg)

Jewel Rogers- Clark County (10 ppg and I believe somewhere around 37% from the 3 pt line)

Nakita Jones- Paris (3 steals and 3 assists per game that puts her in the top 5 of each category)

Kaitlin Steffen- Bishop Brossart (10 ppg and 46% from the field puts her around the top 5 in FG%)

Austina McCaffery- Clark County (8 rpg puts her around 10th)

Torrey was not in the top 5 in any statistical category for the region. She was around 7th in rebounding. She did not average double digits or shoot a high percentage.

And with 3 other Mason County players on the team, I believe that hurt her.

She is a very good player that served a great role on the team. But other teams have good role players that did not make the team either.

Yet, I would take her on my team in a heartbeat.

Maggie Prewitt- Montgomery County (placed here probably means she was the 6th vote-getter)

Erin Carmack- Deming (I believe she is one of only 3 players to average a double-double for the season)

Hillary Butsch- Bishop Brossart (13 ppg which put her right in the top 10 in the region in scoring)

Third Team

Cheryl Rutherford- Saint Patrick (at 10 ppg and 10 rpg, the 3rd person to average a double-double for the season. Molly Norton on the 1st team is the first one with 13 ppg and 10 rpg)

Jewel Rogers- Clark County (10 ppg and I believe somewhere around 37% from the 3 pt line)

Nakita Jones- Paris (3 steals and 3 assists per game that puts her in the top 5 of each category)

Kaitlin Steffen- Bishop Brossart (10 ppg and 46% from the field puts her around the top 5 in FG%)

Torrey was not in the top 5 in any statistical category for the region. She was around 7th in rebounding. She did not average double digits or shoot a high percentage.

She is a very good player that served a great role on the team. But other teams have good role players that did not make the team either.

I was surprised the center for Clark Co. was not even mentioned. Whitney Montgomery seemed like a good player. Seemed like she opened it up for the rest of the team. Also averaged 9 rebounds and around 7 or 8 points.

Third Team

T. Chambers stat line reads thru 27 games

11.8 ppg

8.3 reb pg

51% fg

Pretty good stat line against a pretty tough schedule. Not for certain how that ranks amongst the other players who received recognition but your correct, I would take her on my team as well.

T. Chambers stat line reads thru 27 games

11.8 ppg

8.3 reb pg

51% fg

Pretty good stat line against a pretty tough schedule. Not for certain how that ranks amongst the other players who received recognition but your correct, I would take her on my team as well.

She must have finished strong in February because in late January, her scoring and FG % was not that high. That meant some of the coaches had already seen her when she wasn't playing her best. Mason will need these numbers from her to make a run to Bowling Green.

Each coach is only given 15 votes and I would say they hestitated on placing 4 of those votes for one team.

Once again ... if she needs to be on the list, you guys need to talk to all of the coaches in the region who didn't vote for her. And we don't even know if her name was even on the ballot. And if Prewitt needs to be moved up, then talk to the coaches who voted for the top 5. You are never going please everybody when it comes to voting ... that's the way it is and that's they way it will always be. I don't like the new 40th district but what can I do about it? You just learn to accept things and move on!

I don't agree at all with the thought of not being able to vote for players because of who they are surrounded by that is ridiculous. Yes, does Danis create opportunities for Prewitt and probably is the most valuable player for Montgomery because she gives them a lot of consistent post play but to say it's hard to vote for more than one player on a dominate team is ridiculous. I hate this voting for players on teams for the sake of recognizing players. Take for example the naming of the 10th region all tournament team. Every team gets at least one player on the all tournament team, what is that all about? So if a team that makes it to the finals but loses and they have 4 players that have an outstanding tournament they can only get 3 players on the team, while a team that loses in the 1st round who may have a player that is the leading scorer for their team with 6 pts. can be on the all tournament team. Is that fair? Heck no! We are too much in a politically correct society. The all tournament team isn't a club, you should earn your way on and not just be given a spot by default.

As for the comment about coaches scouting players to be best prepared to come up with a game plan to beat the opposition explains why only two teams from the 10th region have beaten Montgomery in the last two years, probably because they haven't paid much attention to Prewitt. We are talking about the Regional tournament player of the tournament two years ago as a Freshman and a potential all stater and doesn't even make the region all tournament team and has scored nearly 1,500 pts in her career already. I don't get it. I understand, like I said in my initial post, it's subjective and it's all a matter of opinion but it's hard to dispute the statistical facts with Prewitt. Of the 5 first teamers, only D. Chambers and C. Danis are unanimous in my opinion but it's only my opinion.

Once again ... if she needs to be on the list, you guys need to talk to all of the coaches in the region who didn't vote for her. And we don't even know if her name was even on the ballot. And if Prewitt needs to be moved up, then talk to the coaches who voted for the top 5. You are never going please everybody when it comes to voting ... that's the way it is and that's they way it will always be. I don't like the new 40th district but what can I do about it? You just learn to accept things and move on!

Name was on ballot.

I don't agree at all with the thought of not being able to vote for players because of who they are surrounded by that is ridiculous. Yes, does Danis create opportunities for Prewitt and probably is the most valuable player for Montgomery because she gives them a lot of consistent post play but to say it's hard to vote for more than one player on a dominate team is ridiculous. I hate this voting for players on teams for the sake of recognizing players. Take for example the naming of the 10th region all tournament team. Every team gets at least one player on the all tournament team, what is that all about? So if a team that makes it to the finals but loses and they have 4 players that have an outstanding tournament they can only get 3 players on the team, while a team that loses in the 1st round who may have a player that is the leading scorer for their team with 6 pts. can be on the all tournament team. Is that fair? Heck no! We are too much in a politically correct society. The all tournament team isn't a club, you should earn your way on and not just be given a spot by default.

As for the comment about coaches scouting players to be best prepared to come up with a game plan to beat the opposition explains why only two teams from the 10th region have beaten Montgomery in the last two years, probably because they haven't paid much attention to Prewitt. We are talking about the Regional tournament player of the tournament two years ago as a Freshman and a potential all stater and doesn't even make the region all tournament team and has scored nearly 1,500 pts in her career already. I don't get it. I understand, like I said in my initial post, it's subjective and it's all a matter of opinion but it's hard to dispute the statistical facts with Prewitt. Of the 5 first teamers, only D. Chambers and C. Danis are unanimous in my opinion but it's only my opinion.

First, the all TOURNAMENT team has not been named because the TOURNAMENT hasn't been played yet.

This is the All-Region team to recognize their contributions for the SEASON.

And again ... it goes back to the coaches. I wonder how well she played against the best teams in the region or region teams period?

Again, I go back to putting 4 players from one team out of the top 15 and from a team that has not dominated the other competition.

If Mason deserves 4 players out of the top 15 then they should be dominating the 10th region. And that is not occurring. Especially considering two of those players are in the top 5.

Montgomery County has only 3 (BTW, they have won the past two regional championships) and I don't hear an outcry that they are being shorted.

Montgomery is being shorted because Prewitt is a 1st teamer and that isn't even an arguement! I think it's funny is all! I think Montgomery only played 7 regular season games in region this year because frankly there wasn't enough competition. They played the 4 best teams in the region, Mason, Paris, Clark and Bourbon Co. and against those teams they are 8-1 and they played Mason at Mason without Senior starter Natasha Thomas who is critical to their defense. Not saying that Mason couldn't have beat Montgomery anyways but it is something to consider in that matchup. My point being is that a lot of the coaches voting have not seen Montgomery play this year and that could've figured in to the voting but I'm telling you if Maggie Prewitt is not a top 5 player in this region then our region is loaded with a lot of Division 1 talent. I myself have wonder if she could play D1 but from what I understand she is getting some attention from big D1 schools. Now other than D. Chambers is there anyone else on this list that make that claim? I don't even believe Danis is getting that type of attention and she may be the most important player on the Montgomery Co. team.

I'll just keep quit on this topic because it's obvious that it won't change the minds of some, especially those that haven't seen this young lady play the last 3 years, more importantly this year against the best teams in the state. This team has played Boone Co, Sacred Heart, Ohio Co., Christian Academy of Louisville, Mercy, Breathitt Co., Henderson Co. to name a few and she may have been the best player on the floor in each of those games when you look at her stat line both offensively and defensively. Now I challenge anyone to make a case for anyone else on this list a reason why Maggie Prewitt isn't a top 5 player in this region if she has done this against the best teams in the state? Nothing against Norton and Turley because I too think they are good players but they haven't played the competition Prewitt has to make a legitmate comparison. I hate that I'm having to make a claim for this young lady and making it sound as if others are not deserving but I've seen all of these young ladies play this year and if I had to start a team with the players from the 10th Region I'm going to look heavily at D. Chambers, C. Danis and Prewitt before making that decision and no one else. Those 3 are that much better than the rest in my opinion, although the Rogers sisters put on a show tonight in the 2nd half.

Also LLBC, I know the all tourney team hasn't been chosen but I know every team gets a player on the team and there are only 15 players chosen and it is predisposed as to how many each team gets on the all tourney team based upon how far they go in the tournament. If you saw the Brossart/Nicholas Co. game tonight you would get my point about why it's unfair. Someone for Nicholas Co. is going to get on the team for showing up because they didn't play well at all and Brossart didn't play that much better but have a chance to redeem themselves on Friday!:sleep:

'