Brossart 63 CovCath 56

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The play in question was simply a matter of physics?? 250 lbs. vs. probably about 185 lbs. Nate was higher than Grimes trying to gain control of a loose ball, and as they came down together, the extra 65 lbs. took over. Hardly any body contact, just "hand on ball", and it looked much worse than it actually was, due to the way Grimes landed. Fortunately Michael wasn't hurt on what should have been ruled a no-call anyway IMO!! Just two kids hustling after a loose ball--Happens multiple times per game!!

I thought it should have been a no call and I'm obviously a CCH fan, but when the smaller guy hits the floor HARD the refs usually make the call that way

I can't believe no one has made a comment about the poor refereeing.

How can a game of that caliber have referee's scheduled with such incompetence. The Bald headed guy and especially the younger red headed referee. Was he bad or what? I sure hope in the tournaments they have the best rated referee's.

A fan that like to see great games

Also thought the refering was horrible on both sides of the ball. 9th region refs seem to want to control the game more and are getting rather proficient at blowing their wistles. I believe both teams were in the double bonus in both halves(I know they were in the 2nd)

There's nothing wrong saying that someone likes to foul hard. A hard foul is just another foul, as long as it's not dirty. The fact that most fans knew who the player was when a ColonelNation32 said that so-and-so "likes to foul hard" means that it's not really a secret. It's not dirty, it's a young man who plays hard. It's not being irresponsible, it's part of the game.

Also thought the refering was horrible on both sides of the ball. 9th region refs seem to want to control the game more and are getting rather proficient at blowing their wistles. I believe both teams were in the double bonus in both halves(I know they were in the 2nd)

Actually, I think Ninth Region refs have let a lot more go in recent years. 20 years ago everyone playing today would foul out almost every night with the way Ninth Region refs called the game. 10 years ago, the ninth region refs were at their peak as far as figuring a good "no call" and using "advantage/disadvantage". At this point, I don't think the association has a philosphy for how they want to call a game. It leads to a lot of physical play that gets let go, then seconds later a whistle that makes everyone wonder what was called.

This post isn't regarding the Brossart/CCH game, more about Ninth Region officials overall the past few years.

I think that back during the Ernie Liggett and Buddy Moore era there was a lot more "preventative officiating" that took place.

They establshed what was going (or not going) to be permitted early and the players pretty much knew how the game was going to be called.

Ernie would talk players out of fouls, with sharp, quick comments about watching their hands, and going straight up, etc., etc., etc..

I think that there are still a lot of good 9th Region officials that call a heck of a game, are consistent, while letting the kids play. Pouncy, Campbell, Sandlin, O'hara, Thompson, Burkhardt, and Gabbard are a few that come to mind.

The trio that called the CovCath game operated in "multiple choice officiating" mode. You didn't know if A) they were going to call it correctly B) miss the call completely C) not call it at all or D) none of the above.

The officials didn't hold Jacobs to two points in the second half and didn't go 1-6 from the free-throw line down the stretch, so in my opinion had no bearing on the outcome of the game, but unfortunately the players had to wade through 32 minutes of being plagued by whistles that had no bearing on the game, or subjected to the multiple choice officiating described above.

That was a pretty high profile game, you'd have thought that Mr. Haas (or whoever the assigning secretary is) could have done better.