Interpretation of Scripture

Oldbird

Have you ever sat through a sermon and then thought, is that really what God was trying to tell us or could he have really have only meant the words at face value and there was no real interpretation needed?

I can't think of an example, but there have certainly been times where I have wondered if the "teacher" might have been looking a little too deeply at the words of a particular text.

Have you ever sat through a sermon and then thought, is that really what God was trying to tell us or could he have really have only meant the words at face value and there was no real interpretation needed?

I can't think of an example, but there have certainly been times where I have wondered if the "teacher" might have been looking a little too deeply at the words of a particular text.

. . . or supplying their own interpretation to fit the facts of a particular church or community issue happening at the time.

. . . or supplying their own interpretation to fit the facts of a particular church or community issue happening at the time.

I was attending a church soon after the wet-dry vote in Ashland. There was a restaurant across the street from the church that applied for a liquor license. The city ordinance required that, for the restaurant to get a license, the church had to approve it or, at least, state that it did not oppose it.

The church did so through a vote of the congregation. The preacher, from the pulpit, stated that this was a moral issue and that only those who were members of the church could vote. I don't recall that preacher ever calling anything that came before the congregation a "moral issue" other than this liquor license vote.

The rest of the story:

1. Three members of the congregation spoke on behalf of the restaurant.

2. One "older" lady spoke against it (experiencing some hostility from her brethren).

3. The church voted overwhelmingly to support the restaurant.

4. Most of those in the choir jumped with joy and high-fived when the vote was announced.

5. The preacher did not greet attendees at the door after the service but, instead, ran across the street to give the owner of the restaurant the gospel (ie: good news).

6. I have never returned to that church concluding that I would be better off at the BPOE which appeared to me to be a far more honest and principled organization.

Thus, I put very little "faith" in what our friends in and around the pulpit may say on subjects of "morality", etc. "Truth" is often manipulated to fit the situation and the agenda. It was not a reassuring lesson to learn.

There is a major difference between interpretation of scripture and some preachers opinion. The major flaw today is that preachers tend to preach what they think and not what the Word says. Biblical interpretation is always backed up by two or three other scriptures found in the Word of God. Application of the interpretation is what is lacking in most pulpits today. Too much feel good preaching and not preaching the whole Word from Genesis to Maps. People would rather be told how good they are (Jesus said no one was good) and not have a preacher preach on sin or Hell. We are having a great falling away from the truth. About the issue Scooter Bob was referring to, how can a Pastor justify that? Drinking is a sin just as Drunkeness is. Some will say the Bible doesnt say anything about "Drinking", oh yes it does.

Interpret these Scriptures on Drinking, not drunkeness, just Drinking...

Proverbs 23:31-32

Proverbs 20:1

Remember that these scriptures references in the Hebrew langauge is reffering to fermented wine, not wine as grapejuice, nor is it referring to water mixed with fermented wine (This mix purified their polluted water)

There is a major difference between interpretation of scripture and some preachers opinion. The major flaw today is that preachers tend to preach what they think and not what the Word says. Biblical interpretation is always backed up by two or three other scriptures found in the Word of God. Application of the interpretation is what is lacking in most pulpits today. Too much feel good preaching and not preaching the whole Word from Genesis to Maps. People would rather be told how good they are (Jesus said no one was good) and not have a preacher preach on sin or Hell. We are having a great falling away from the truth. About the issue Scooter Bob was referring to, how can a Pastor justify that? Drinking is a sin just as Drunkeness is. Some will say the Bible doesnt say anything about "Drinking", oh yes it does.

Remember that these scriptures references in the Hebrew langauge is reffering to fermented wine, not wine as grapejuice, nor is it referring to water mixed with fermented wine (This mix purified their polluted water)

The drinking issue is another tread, so lets no go there here.

Not to say there is not preachers and teachers who impose their opinions in their teachings, but, a lot of the responsibility of interpreting scripture is up to the congregation. To many people sit in church and take what they are told as Gospel. It is our duty to study the Bible and know what is said, not to listen and believe what others tell us. It is also our responsibility to correct a preacher/teacher when they give false teachings.

That does not mean, calling them liars, but question them about their lesson. Perhaps we misunderstood, or missed something. If you ask for clarification and are not satisfied, then you should take it to the elders, and Timothy spells out what the elders should do.

Not to say there is not preachers and teachers who impose their opinions in their teachings, but, a lot of the responsibility of interpreting scripture is up to the congregation. To many people sit in church and take what they are told as Gospel. It is our duty to study the Bible and know what is said, not to listen and believe what others tell us. It is also our responsibility to correct a preacher/teacher when they give false teachings.

That does not mean, calling them liars, but question them about their lesson. Perhaps we misunderstood, or missed something. If you ask for clarification and are not satisfied, then you should take it to the elders, and Timothy spells out what the elders should do.

Nice post Ram!:thumb:

This happened at our Christmas service. I can't remember exactly what scriptures were, but I had this strong desre to stand up and say, "What are you talking about? Did you even read the scripture in context?" In this case, he wasn't digging to deep. He had a Christmas program and sermon that he was trying to fit scripture to, rather than the other way around.

I just looked up the two passages you listed. I think this is a prime example of interpretation. Do where does either of those passages say that drinking is a sin. It doesn't forbid drinking. It does say that it isn't wise to drink too much...but it doesn't specifically say it's a sin....23:30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.

In contradiction to the interpretation to the above, here's Psalm 104:15 And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart.

What a great topic. I'll set a post record. First statement. I can look at the same verse as you and we both will come away with a different understanding. Example...Acts 2:38 What is Peter saying here? This is one of the most verses used with "Interpretation of Scripture". My wife and I differ on some verses and thats OK, she has been wrong before.

Alabama Larry, just for the sake of discussion, and possible to prove your point that people may get different meanings from Acts 2:38; I believe that this passage means that all Christians should be physically Baptized in water as we have been instructed to do by Jesus. Once we are Baptized by water we are then "clothed by God", and will consequently be Baptized by the Holy Spirit. I base this belief on Acts 2:38 as well as the following verses:

Matthew 28:19

Mark 16:16

Luke 3:21-22

John 3:23

Acts 8:36-39

Acts 16:33

Acts 22:16

Galatians 3:27

1 Peter 3:21

I just looked up the two passages you listed. I think this is a prime example of interpretation. Do where does either of those passages say that drinking is a sin. It doesn't forbid drinking. It does say that it isn't wise to drink too much...but it doesn't specifically say it's a sin....23:30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.

In contradiction to the interpretation to the above, here's Psalm 104:15 And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart.

One thing that always made me wonder--read John 2:1-11. If drinking was a sin why did Jesus change the water into wine as his first miraculous sign? Over indulgence in anything isn't good for a person. Examples: eating too much, drinking too much of anything( I know a woman died recently from drinking too much water in a contest). I asked a man one time who was over 100 years old what his secret to his longevity was and his reply--"I do a little bit of everything & not much of nothing".

One thing that always made me wonder--read John 2:1-11. If drinking was a sin why did Jesus change the water into wine as his first miraculous sign? Over indulgence in anything isn't good for a person. Examples: eating too much, drinking too much of anything( I know a woman died recently from drinking too much water in a contest). I asked a man one time who was over 100 years old what his secret to his longevity was and his reply--"I do a little bit of everything & not much of nothing".

As a Catholic, we are taught the 7 deadly sins, and Gluttony is one of those. Gluttony is not only eating too much, but also indulging too much in ANYTHING. So, drinking too much is Gluttony, IMO.

Father Pank used to say..."It's not a sin to be drunk, it's a sin to get drunk."

Ram, great post. I'll wait a bit before I give a statement. Girl, maybe the wine wasn't as strong as the wine thats out there now. As a christian growing up there was a zero tollerence on alcohol, so I don't know about wine.

RockMom, some churches get mad if you use the term "Father" to address anyone besides God. Don't get mad at me again I'm just sharing what I've learned. Also the term "Reverened" makes this group mad too and we use that one.

"For those who is without sin...cast the first stone" is another verse with "interpretation differences".

Ram, great post. I'll wait a bit before I give a statement. Girl, maybe the wine wasn't as strong as the wine thats out there now. As a christian growing up there was a zero tollerence on alcohol, so I don't know about wine.

RockMom, some churches get mad if you use the term "Father" to address anyone besides God. Don't get mad at me again I'm just sharing what I've learned. Also the term "Reverened" makes this group mad too and we use that one.

"For those who is without sin...cast the first stone" is another verse with "interpretation differences".

I'd never be mad at you AL!