Rose Hill 58 Boyd 55

One thing I forgot to mention...why only two refs..........

The answer to this question can only be answered by the Athletic Director of the school hosting the game.

Remember this, when you have a player with the ball being closely gaurded, one official will officiate this match-up...which means that the other official has to watch the other eight players.

It would be nice to have two officials sharing the duties of watching these eight players, especially with the movement that takes place such as picks being set, posting up, cuts through the paint, etc...

With the athletes in the high school game today, there is more movement, more screening, more skip passing and more three point shots taken then ever before, not to mention the number of deflections that has become a popular statistic.

With all of the full-court pressing, reaching, hacking, etc...it is very difficult for two officials to watch 10 players on a consistant basis and call everything that needs to be called in a high school basketball game.

Some high school games are played as well as some NAIA and Division II and Division III games. This is why you see 3-Officials on all of these games at these levels as well as the Division I level.

With all of this said, the KHSAA has mandated that all Post Season Games are to be officiated by 3-Officials. The cost for 2 officials in the 16th Region is $130.00, that's $65.00 each. The cost of 3-officials for a game is $55.00 per official which is $165.00. The total cost for 3-Officials is just $35.00 more. ALSO: The 16th Region Officials are paid less then any other region in Kentucky.

So for thirty more dollars, you get an additional set of eyes to help clean up the game. That's a pretty good investment.

If you have 10 home games in a season, that is just $350.00 per year to have 3-officials on everyone of your games. Ashland and Fleming County are the only two schools in the 16th Region that do this. All other schools use 3 officials on a minimum of 4-home games which is a rule set by the 16th Region Athletic Counsel/Policy Board.

The sad thing about 3-Officials is that someone is still going to complain about how the game was officiated but that is o.k., because that is part of it and officials must have thick skin to officiate and to read some of the things that are said about them on BGP's. How many times have we heard the losing fans at the game, out in public or on BGP's say how well the game was officiated. My guess is ZERO.:p

It took 35 post on this thread before the refs were mentioned by a member of this post.

NOW THAT MIGHT BE THE BIGGEST RECORD ON HERE.;)

Hope this answers a bunch of questions.

P.S. GORADIO has applications for any one that wants to get out and join the officials association and find out how tough it really is at floor level with all the movement. Seats in the stands and the living room are great views:thumb:

Like my grandpa says, "If you can't say something nice, then don't say it".:flame:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer to this question can only be answered by the Athletic Director of the school hosting the game.

Remember this, when you have a player with the ball being closely gaurded, one official will officiate this match-up...which means that the other official has to watch the other eight players.

It would be nice to have two officials sharing the duties of watching these eight players, especially with the movement that takes place such as picks being set, posting up, cuts through the paint, etc...

With the athletes in the high school game today, there is more movement, more screening, more skip passing and more three point shots taken then ever before, not to mention the number of deflections that has become a popular statistic.

With all of the full-court pressing, reaching, hacking, etc...it is very difficult for two officials to watch 10 players on a consistant basis and call everything that needs to be called in a high school basketball game.

Some high school games are played as well as some NAIA and Division II and Division III games. This is why you see 3-Officials on all of these games at these levels as well as the Division I level.

With all of this said, the KHSAA has mandated that all Post Season Games are to be officiated by 3-Officials. The cost for 2 officials in the 16th Region is $130.00, that's $65.00 each. The cost of 3-officials for a game is $55.00 per official which is $165.00. The total cost for 3-Officials is just $35.00 more. ALSO: The 16th Region Officials are paid less then any other region in Kentucky.

So for thirty more dollars, you get an additional set of eyes to help clean up the game. That's a pretty good investment.

If you have 10 home games in a season, that is just $350.00 per year to have 3-officials on everyone of your games. Ashland and Fleming County are the only two schools in the 16th Region that do this. All other schools use 3 officials on a minimum of 4-home games which is a rule set by the 16th Region Athletic Counsel/Policy Board.

The sad thing about 3-Officials is that someone is still going to complain about how the game was officiated but that is o.k., because that is part of it and officials must have thick skin to officiate and to read some of the things that are said about them on BGP's. How many times have we heard the losing fans at the game, out in public or on BGP's say how well the game was officiated. My guess is ZERO.:p

It took 35 post on this thread before the refs were mentioned by a member of this post.

P.S. GORADIO has applications for any one that wants to get out and join the officials association and find out how tough it really is at floor level with all the movement. Seats in the stands and the living room are great views:thumb:

Like my grandpa says, "If you can't say something nice, then don't say it".:flame:

TOTALLY AGREE... I have done my share of reffing in the elementary and optimist games. The parents are HORRIBLE!!!!! And so was the reffing....LOL. My point was that I dont think the outcome would have been any different but three refs would have been better than two at this particular game. The refs did not blow this game, RH played to win and did so. Boyd just has no heart right now....

I hope that RickyP and the rest of Rose Hill coaches don't wear the "Blue" blazers.:thumb:

O.J. and the crew took the Blue Blazers with them when they departed.

I saw a couple of them Blue Blazers the other night on court TV at a baskeball game in Ohio, when a riot broke out. :cry:

That is the problem with this region to many fouls are called. When our teams go to Lexington or Louisville they expect the officals to call the touch fouls and they let you play through those touch fouls. That is why most of the 16th regions teams are one and out at the state tournament.

I watched the game as a neutral fan and felt the officials called a good game.I realize that there will always be complaints about officials but can anyone honestly state that officials have been the major reason for a loss this season.

As far as the game is concerned I felt the supporting cast for RH played very well-they know their roles and don't attempt to do things they aren't capable of doing.

kingofthejungle,

Why do you think the officials called so poorly?? Other than a couple of times I dont think either coach complained about the way the game was being called. If the coaches are happy and the players are happy the ref's couldnt have been that bad.

kingofthejungle,

Why do you think the officials called so poorly?? Other than a couple of times I dont think either coach complained about the way the game was being called. If the coaches are happy and the players are happy the ref's couldnt have been that bad.

BOTH COACHES somplained the entire game!!!!!!!! You must have been shooting basketball on the top level with the kids if you think this game was officiated well. It took two pages for someone to say something...I amnot saying it made a difference in the outcome. I just think a bunch of calls were missed and some were too touchy....IMO

That is the problem with this region to many fouls are called. When our teams go to Lexington or Louisville they expect the officals to call the touch fouls and they let you play through those touch fouls. That is why most of the 16th regions teams are one and out at the state tournament.

OUCH...I had no idea that the Refs were being blamed for this as well.

What's coming next?

OUCH...I had no idea that the Refs were being blamed for this as well.

What's coming next?

No one is blaming the refs for the win or loss...I said they missed several calls both ways....AND the coaches noticed it too..... NOT THE REFS FAULT on win or loss!!!!! Just poorly called both ways.

Let them play. Three refs means more whistles and probably more bad calls for the whiners to complain about. Just let the players decide the game and noone will even notice the refs. Some of the best called games I have seen this year have been from 2 man crews.

It is everyone's right to voice their opinion, whether it is nice or not. Sometimes people need to hear the truth(not refering to referee's) and sometime's the truth isn't nice. Referee's can change the flow of a game with only one bad or missed call. They can break the momentum that a team may have. Needless to say it is probably not on purpose, but it doe's happen, thus you have disgruntled fan's. They are just fan's and they do have the right

if in their own mind they think the game was called bad, to voice their opinion!

I wonder how much enjoyment the athlete would get out of the game if there wasn't any fan's in the gym or field???:dancingpa :thumb:

No one is blaming the refs for the win or loss...I said they missed several calls both ways....AND the coaches noticed it too..... NOT THE REFS FAULT on win or loss!!!!! Just poorly called both ways.

Please re-read my post. It was in response to post # 79. Gatorlover's post.:thumb:

Not your's.

Thanks