All NKY Teams including Player and Coach of the Year

In order to break up two rather large threads, we are going to release the All NKY Teams (and POY and COY) today and then the District Previews tomorrow morning.  

A few things to know about these lists.  Number 1:  you have to have averaged 10 points per game to be considered.  I know this rules out really important players like Miyah Wimzie, Maya Lawrie, and Maleah Alexander, but the rationale here is simple:  high-motor, high-intangible, high-basketball IQ, "glue players" on teams that we all watch a lot get plenty of love (like the three I mentioned), but those same types of players from lower profile teams don't get seen as often by neutrals, so it is unfair to include those attributes from some but not others.  No one loves those types of players more than I do, I've sung Maya Lawrie's praises for years, but those that were included in selecting these just don't see the bottom half of teams often enough to have a good feel for those important types of players from those teams.  

Number 2:  you have to have played 20 games to be included, so that excludes, among others, Riley Boyd at Beechwood.  Lastly, only the stats that are tracked on KHSAA are considered, so assists, steals, blocks, etc aren't factored in.  First of all, I think most schools that track those do just an okay job of it, but most don't track them at all, and in almost no instances is there access to them.  So when one coach says he'd include XYZ player on a higher team because she averages 5 assists and 4 steals, it isn't factored in.

A number of people looked these over and provided input, some involved in coaching who know who I am, a couple of officials, and then some folks that are around GBB in NKY a great deal.  That doesn't mean that many on here will disagree, but just so do respectfully please, not towards me, I'm fine, but towards the young ladies that are positioned above those that you think were too low.  Thanks in advance. Also, note that ALL of the teams are listed ALPHABETICALLY by first name.  I know someone would have asked why the order on each team...that seemed the fairest way.

First of all:  The Northern Kentucky Player of the year is Quinn Eubank, Senior, from Ryle High School.  You could have made a great case for any of our First Team players for this award, but we landed on Quinn and we feel great about it.

Secondly, our Northern Kentucky Coach of the Year is Ted Arlinghaus, head coach of Holy Cross.  Holy Cross repeating as All A State Champs, and climbing into the Top 4 or 5 in the entire state, is too impressive to overlook.  Certainly Coach Holthaus would have been a deserved winner as well, but we went with Coach Arlinghaus.

NKY 1st Team:

Anna Hamilton, senior, Conner

Caroline Eaglin, junior, NewCath

Julia Hunt, senior, Holy Cross

Logan Luebbers Palmer, senior, Cooper

Quinn Eubank, senior, Ryle

NKY 2nd Team:
Brynli Pernell, freshman, Simon Kenton
Jada Cummins, junior, Grant County
Liz Freihofer, senior, Cooper
Marissa Green, junior, Highlands
Sarah Baker, senior, Ryle

NKY 3rd Team:
Braylin Terrell, junior, Walton Verona
Catherine Buddenberg, junior, Dixie
Haylie Webb, sophomore, Simon Kenton
Isabella Jayasuriya, sophomore, Campbell County
Kayla Unkraut, senior, St. Henry
Sophia Gibson, junior, Notre Dame

Honorable Mention:
Addy Garrett, sophomore, Ludlow
Aumani Nelson, junior, Holy Cross
Caroline Barnes, junior, Grant County
DeAyjah White, senior, Newport
Elin Logue, freshman, Walton Verona
Jaelyn Jones, sophomore, Ryle
Kaia Peterson, junior, Scott
Rachel Shewmaker, sophomore, Brossart
Sierra McCoin, senior, Lloyd
Sydni Massey, junior, Bellevue
Zoee Meyers, junior, Brossart
  • Thanks 4

If defense and assists aren’t considered I quite frankly have lost faith in the methodology of this  particular list.  I absolutely agree Quinn is player of the year.  I don’t disagree with the girls on the list, but to exclude so many really good players and only include shooters is not really making a true all star list.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjal said:

If defense and assists aren’t considered I quite frankly have lost faith in the methodology of this  particular list.  I absolutely agree Quinn is player of the year.  I don’t disagree with the girls on the list, but to exclude so many really good players and only include shooters is not really making a true all star list.  

I am not taking a position on any of these players, I am sure they are all fine players.  However, that is why BGP got out of the all star business.  It is so, so much work and at the end of the day no one is ever satisfied with the product. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I am not taking a position on any of these players, I am sure they are all fine players.  However, that is why BGP got out of the all star business.  It is so, so much work and at the end of the day no one is ever satisfied with the product. 

I am not commenting one way, or another on the players on the list. It’s the methodology of the list if only offense is included on the list, just say offense of players of the year. Whoever makes the most points is very objective.  List whoever has the highest percentage per game and call that the list.

2 minutes ago, rjal said:

I am not commenting one way, or another on the players on the list. It’s the methodology of the list if only offense is included on the list, just say offense of players of the year. Whoever makes the most points is very objective.  List whoever has the highest percentage per game and call that the list.

I understand but there is always a but when it comes to these type of lists. 

5 hours ago, rjal said:

Facts👆👆

Awesome job @The Double Deuce!

There is NO ONE that does more on girls basketball than you!

Quality reporting week in and week out!

What you do showcasing these great women student athletes is second to none!

The effort you put into every week is probably not applauded enough.

can't wait for Post Season breakdowns and commentary…..

#Go Birds, get ready for the Cinderella slipper!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1