Should Carson be spouting off?

I think it all depends on how they react to it. If they look at is as if he is looking out for them and their best interest, I think it will be OK. If they feel like he is making an example of them and putting them down then it could be bad. I hope they see it as him taking the leadership role on the team and looking out for them.

If the arrested want to act like men they'll step up and say "yeah, Carson is right, we need to grow up and be positive members of society".

If they want to act like the punks people think they are, well then, Carson is going to have to be a bigger man and really stand behind his words.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong!

Marvin has been beating this drum for a long time and he has failed. He may fail some more and that remains to be seen but to this point "Marvin Talk" has been a failure.

What do you expect the result to be when the league has handicapped every head coach when they cannot discipline a player for these transgressions!

The only talk he has spoken was that character matters before last year's draft; what he has explained about that comment is that it is of the utmost importance that his players abide by the rules of society!

He did not mean, AS ALL THE "EXPERTS" CLAIM, that he was not going to draft a player with previous problems. He told the media his definition of character is different from theres.

Do you think Marvin didn't investigate these players?

Do you think he investigated them, found out they were thugs, and said, "It doesn't mattter; they can play; we are going to draft them any way!"

Of course not; he was satisfied by the information he received and believed they would be good citizens as well as good players.

He has not made empty threats, as you claim; in fact he has made no threats at all; he has simply deactivated players, Henry, O' Neal, and Mcneal after their incidents.

Odell is suspended; Steinbachi's was in the preseason; Askew was cut for lack of performance; Nicholson was inactive most of the season; Rucker was on IR for the entire season.(I believe Rucker and Nicholson's was more a disciplinary measure than anything else)

Like he said, cutting playing time(moreso apparently next season) affects the entire team; so does a coach punish the entire team for the mistake of one???

For a moment let's assume you are correct in his failure.

What should he have done (that he is permitted to do under the CBA)??????

Wildcat,

To answer your question, given the CBA, I think Marvin should have done nothing in public other than to say we handle discipline matters privately.

Marvin Talk has led to Carson Talk and now Willie Talk and before you know it, you are going to have "Everyone Talk." In my opinion, everyone flapping their jacks about everyone else is bad for the team.

Wildcat,

To answer your question, given the CBA, I think Marvin should have done nothing in public other than to say we handle discipline matters privately.

Marvin Talk has led to Carson Talk and now Willie Talk and before you know it, you are going to have "Everyone Talk." In my opinion, everyone flapping their jacks about everyone else is bad for the team.

I absolutely 100% agree that everyone flapping their jacks is bad for the team. But it seems it has gotten to this point and needs to be at this point because of the nature of what is going on WITH the team.

I feel comfortable in saying that the players have heard in the locker room, Carson and Willie ripping them. I feel comfortable saying they have heard Marvin talking with them. And nothing works.

So you go to the next step that you have to when they are listening to what you have been doing.

I think Carson has a right to spout, perhaps he has privately already. Now he may be thinking he needs to show the public that he is trying to make a stance. I think a football team over coming adversity can make them stronger, but when it's repetitive, and self inflicted, their needs to be changes made. Actions speak louder than words, and this team needs some change.

Wildcat,

I can agree with that.

The only time he spoke of discipline was at the end of the year press conference where he spoke of the only thing working was taking away playing time, that the fines don't work (because they make too much money).

He said it was a drastic step because it affects everyone on the team, but that it might save the entire group (from having to be a part of the constant problem).

I would add that he would never talk about ANYTHING going on behind closed doors if he could help it; he is like Belecick in that regard. That was the focus of that last press conference by the media.

I absolutely 100% agree that everyone flapping their jacks is bad for the team. But it seems it has gotten to this point and needs to be at this point because of the nature of what is going on WITH the team.

I feel comfortable in saying that the players have heard in the locker room, Carson and Willie ripping them. I feel comfortable saying they have heard Marvin talking with them. And nothing works.

So you go to the next step that you have to when they are listening to what you have been doing.

It has worked with most actually; John Thornton said in the Enquirer this week that he has changed his behavior; after having the police speak to the team about the legal limit of .08 to operate a vehicle, Thornton said he doesn't even take a chance any more. It is working with most. To this point Joseph is the only one to ignore the warnings.