NBA to Ban Its Players From Certain Night Spots?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd find a new job before I signed a contract telling me places I can and can't visit.

Contracts already say that NBA players can't do things like skydive, snow ski or other activities. So why not limit their late-night escapades that clearly no good can come from?

Color me confused... The argument is always that NBA players are always putting themselves in stupid situations in night clubs and everything... That they're trouble-making thugs. So you do something to keep them out of the clubs and possibly save their lives and all of a sudden it's a horrible idea?

It doesn't say every club, it says certain places. If it's off-limits to you as a player go somewhere else and enjoy yourself. Obviously the death of Darrent Williams is enough to make at least some people think.

If the image of the NBA is what allows them to continue to be in business and allows them to expand overseas and the actions of the players are damaging that ability, why can they not limit it? Remember it is a PRIVILEGE to be a NBA player, not a right. They are the ones that are signing contracts that can limit their participation in dangerous activities. (we have heard of reports limiting the athlete in riding motorcycles, sky diving, etc.)

You're a teacher. What if there were new teacher rules made preventing you from going to establishments that served alcohol and the reason was the DUI case we've discussed previously. You don't drink, but now the state of KY says you can't go to Applebee's for half price appetizers. Would you agree to that?

Color me confused... The argument is always that NBA players are always putting themselves in stupid situations in night clubs and everything... That they're trouble-making thugs. So you do something to keep them out of the clubs and possibly save their lives and all of a sudden it's a horrible idea?

It doesn't say every club, it says certain places. If it's off-limits to you as a player go somewhere else and enjoy yourself. Obviously the death of Darrent Williams is enough to make at least some people think.

Although I agree with the concept, of "helping" to minimize potential problems....what these players do off the floor, in their own time and is not against the Law, falls under their constitutional protected rights.

It smacks of big brother, determining they know what is best and these adults, can make their own decisions....hopefully, it will be they don't frequent these places. I would be in favor of a "curfew", not being out after 1:00am, before something like this but I'm not the NBA commish.

In Darrent Williams' defense the murder rate in Denver is pretty low from what I understand.

I understand the NBA's concern and attempt....BUT these are grown men and they are fully capable, of making their own decisions.....albeit right or wrong. Any accident, is certainly a tragedy and I don't see this getting player union approval, if it goes that far.

Too much regulation, is a bad thing....parents often send their own children on their own, with less restrictions than the NBA is attempting.

What is next, No salad for fear of salmonella....No, entering buildings that aren't smoke free....No, staying up late night and watching cable....:confused:

Market your players, as athletes, entertainers and teams....rather than trying to micromanage their lives, NBA brash.

:thumb:

Although I agree with the concept, of "helping" to minimize potential problems....what these players do off the floor, in their own time and is not against the Law, falls under their constitutional protected rights.

It smacks of big brother, determining they know what is best and these adults, can make their own decisions....hopefully, it will be they don't frequent these places. I would be in favor of a "curfew", not being out after 1:00am, before something like this but I'm not the NBA commish.

Would the curfew have exceptions? These guys play late games and after playing I'm sure they are awake for several hours afterwards. Running to McDonalds at 3 in the morning shouldn't be against he rules.

So it's stereotyping and telling grown men since Stephen Jackson is an idiot they can't go somewhere. Never fly.

There's no stereotyping to it. It's a rule in place to for the league to protect its players. The players might not be causing trouble, but what's to stop a drunk Joe Schmo from starting something with them? No good can come from late-night strip joints. And this isn't every place, just a list of high-risk places.

Besides, your classier guys in the NBA won't have a problem with it. They'd never be there in the first place.

There's no stereotyping to it. It's a rule in place to for the league to protect its players. The players might not be causing trouble, but what's to stop a drunk Joe Schmo from starting something with them? No good can come from late-night strip joints. And this isn't every place, just a list of high-risk places.

Besides, your classier guys in the NBA won't have a problem with it. They'd never be there in the first place.

So should they not even drive or fly????? It is very dangerous on the roads.

:dancingpa :dancingpa :dancingpa :dancingpa

Really????????????????????????????? I haven't been to an establishment like that in YEARS!!!!!!!! However, someone telling I can't go to one is a joke. Also, I have heard several stories and the guys involved would argue that what happened to them was good. Your morals (mine too) are your business.

You're a teacher. What if there were new teacher rules made preventing you from going to establishments that served alcohol and the reason was the DUI case we've discussed previously. You don't drink, but now the state of KY says you can't go to Applebee's for half price appetizers. Would you agree to that?

Understand you concept in principle, so I will respond two ways. It would upset me immensely for them to determine where and when I can go somewhere.

But I am safe in that regard because it is a public institute and the government cannot do that.

But the NBA is a private insitute and in this country, we have seen over and over and over that private institutes can put restrictions on membership or employement. Just in the spring we had the discussion where a Catholic school released an unmarried yet pregnant teacher for morality issues.

I am just wondering (and would love to have someone like Hearsay's or Atticus' view on it) whether a private institute has more leeway to do this and get away with it. It is NOT their RIGHT to play in NBA. It is their privilege.

IF, and that is a BIG IF, the NBA can prove that their image and thus, their business is being hurt by these actions, it would seem that they should have a right to limit where a player can go. They can LEGALLY give them curfews can't they? Is that not similar? They are telling them that they CANNOT leave the hotel after a certain time.

I do believe that it would have to be LIMITED to BASKETBALL trips. The Celtics are in town visiting Denver, than I could more easily see them being able to limit where you go. Now it is May and you want to limit it, that is a different thing.