NBA to Ban Its Players From Certain Night Spots?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Understand you concept in principle, so I will respond two ways. It would upset me immensely for them to determine where and when I can go somewhere.

But I am safe in that regard because it is a public institute and the government cannot do that.

But the NBA is a private insitute and in this country, we have seen over and over and over that private institutes can put restrictions on membership or employement. Just in the spring we had the discussion where a Catholic school released an unmarried yet pregnant teacher for morality issues.

I am just wondering (and would love to have someone like Hearsay's or Atticus' view on it) whether a private institute has more leeway to do this and get away with it. It is NOT their RIGHT to play in NBA. It is their privilege.

IF, and that is a BIG IF, the NBA can prove that their image and thus, their business is being hurt by these actions, it would seem that they should have a right to limit where a player can go. They can LEGALLY give them curfews can't they? Is that not similar? They are telling them that they CANNOT leave the hotel after a certain time.

I do believe that it would have to be LIMITED to BASKETBALL trips. The Celtics are in town visiting Denver, than I could more easily see them being able to limit where you go. Now it is May and you want to limit it, that is a different thing.

Good post, but all the "ifs" combined with the players union and there's no chance this will fly.

Would the curfew have exceptions? These guys play late games and after playing I'm sure they are awake for several hours afterwards. Running to McDonalds at 3 in the morning shouldn't be against he rules.
The WestCoast games, would end at reasonable hours and mostly before 10:30 or 11:00am, local times.

By the time showering, press conferences and related end, 1:00am should be ample time to get home or lodging.

Understand you concept in principle, so I will respond two ways. It would upset me immensely for them to determine where and when I can go somewhere.

But I am safe in that regard because it is a public institute and the government cannot do that.

But the NBA is a private insitute and in this country, we have seen over and over and over that private institutes can put restrictions on membership or employement. Just in the spring we had the discussion where a Catholic school released an unmarried yet pregnant teacher for morality issues.

I am just wondering (and would love to have someone like Hearsay's or Atticus' view on it) whether a private institute has more leeway to do this and get away with it. It is NOT their RIGHT to play in NBA. It is their privilege.

IF, and that is a BIG IF, the NBA can prove that their image and thus, their business is being hurt by these actions, it would seem that they should have a right to limit where a player can go. They can LEGALLY give them curfews can't they? Is that not similar? They are telling them that they CANNOT leave the hotel after a certain time.

I do believe that it would have to be LIMITED to BASKETBALL trips. The Celtics are in town visiting Denver, than I could more easily see them being able to limit where you go. Now it is May and you want to limit it, that is a different thing.

I can understand that!!!

The WestCoast games, would end at reasonable hours and mostly before 10:30 or 11:00am, local times.

By the time showering, press conferences and related end, 1:00am should be ample time to get home or lodging.

But it wouldn't be time to do anything social. No dinner with wifey, times with your friends, etc. etc.

Really????????????????????????????? I haven't been to an establishment like that in YEARS!!!!!!!! However, someone telling I can't go to one is a joke. Also, I have heard several stories and the guys involved would argue that what happened to them was good. Your morals (mine too) are your business.

I'm not opposed to people going to strip clubs. However, NBA players are investments for teams. If you're going to drop $20 million on a player, then you want to insure the safety of your investment, don't you? That's why you tell them they can't go skiing, sky diving or motorcycle riding. Honestly, less is likely to happen to you skydiving than being at a strip club at 3 a.m. It's just protecting investments, and I say they have every right to do that.

But it wouldn't be time to do anything social. No dinner with wifey, times with your friends, etc. etc.
Most NBA players, eat dinner prior to the game and consume fruit, catering and liquids after, along with visiting the training room.

Social time, is the issue that I think, the NBA is attempting to correct. I stated this on another thread, as you remember...."Nothing good can happen after 1:00am".

Players don't often arrive to arenas, more than 2.5 hours prior to games and with 7:30pm starts, they can have mid-morning or early afternoon hours, for family and friends. I wouldn't want my wife and kids, out eating with me at 1:00am.

I heard a radio commentary once that said if you hear of an athlete getting arressted, 95% of the time you will hear something to the effect of....."at 3:00 AM this morning, Athlete A was arrested" or "Athlete B was pulled over this morning at 4:30 AM going 100 MPH."

You hear something about an athlete and in the middle of the night and it is not going to be a good news story.

You won't hear "Athlete C dropped off 30 sackful of toys to the orphanage at 5:00 AM this morning."

I heard a radio commentary once that said if you hear of an athlete getting arressted, 95% of the time you will hear something to the effect of....."at 3:00 AM this morning, Athlete A was arrested" or "Athlete B was pulled over this morning at 4:30 AM going 100 MPH."

You hear something about an athlete and in the middle of the night and it is not going to be a good news story.

You won't hear "Athlete C dropped off 30 sackful of toys to the orphanage at 5:00 AM this morning."

Thats because no one goes out drinking and things like that during the day. Anytime you hear of people getting in trouble its usually after Midnight, not just athletes.

Apparently someone needs to watch out for them, cause they're sure as heck not responsible/smart enough to do it themselves.

Kind of unrealistic to think that when you draft a bunch of teenagers and give them a couple of million dallars of jingle change that they could and would be able to handle themselves responsibly. How many adults could handle the urges and temptations of what you can do and get into when you become an instant millionaire?

Contracts already say that NBA players can't do things like skydive, snow ski or other activities. So why not limit their late-night escapades that clearly no good can come from?

Why not just tell them they can't own a handgun or drink alcohol? Those seem to be the root of the problem.

Not that I would agree with doing that either.

Thats because no one goes out drinking and things like that during the day. Anytime you hear of people getting in trouble its usually after Midnight, not just athletes.
Thus, my proposal of a 1:00am curfew....I'll email Commish Stern, see if his people, will talk with my people.....:thumb: