Pikeville at Campbellsville Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Campbellsville (11-1)
    • Pikeville (10-2)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/25/2023 at 12:00 AM

The last time these two programs played, in the 2002 season opener, their football programs both were in significantly different states than they are now. Pikeville hadn't had a trip to the state finals in over a decade and they were still 13 years away from their next trip to the finals, and Campbellsville was at the beginning of the final season of a 3 year skid triggered largely due to the departure of head coach Perry Thomas, who left to take over the Paducah Tilghman program, before returning to Campbellsville as head coach of the Tigers program at Campbellsville University.

21 seasons later, these two teams will finally have a rematch.

Campbellsville (11-1) comes into the semifinals with one of the top 10 rushers in 1A, Daniel Forbis, with his 990 yards and 15 rushing touchdowns in 10 games played, for an average of 9.9 yards per carry. They also have one of the top 10 passers in QB Kace Eastridge, who has gone 75 for 133 (56.4%) passing for 1493 yards and 16 touchdowns, and a top 10 scorer in Forbis, who has 15 touchdowns rushing and 2 receiving. The Eagles' offense have tallied 1882 yards passing and 2287 yards rushing in their 12 games this season, with an average of 350 yards of offense per game.  Linebacker Deondre Weathers is tied for 9th place, statewide, for sacks with 11, and Daniel Forbis also tallies 5 sacks of his own at linebacker.

Pikeville (10-2) comes into the semifinals with a QB Isaac Duty behind center. Duty has averaged just over 100 yards passing per game, going 92 for 136 passing for 1088 yards and 12 touchdowns. Their offense is somewhat run-oriented, with 1816 yards gained on the ground this season to 1290 yards gained by air, and RB Brenden Anthony has done the largest share of the work on the ground, with 637 yards rushing for 10 touchdowns in 9 games played. Jeb Wilkerson is the top receiver this season for the Panthers, with 354 yards and 3 touchdowns receiving, while utility man Tayvian Boykins has over 200 receiving yards and 450 rushing yards for 6 touchdowns this year. On defense, freshman Jeremiah Anderson leads the team and is the top tackler among the remaining four 1A teams with his 9.4 tackles per game and 94 total tackles. Deonte Stevens and Brendan Anthony are second and third in tackles for Pikeville, with 78 and 76 tackles, respectively.

Pikeville has a 4-1/2 hour trip by bus to take on Campbellsville this Friday.

Will Campbellsville keep things rolling for a first-ever trip to the state finals, or will Pikeville be heading home from Campbellsville to prepare for an eleventh appearance in the championship game?

We’ve done met the first two teams. Now for this matchup we have the 11-1 Campbellsville Eagles and The 10-2 Pikeville Panthers. 

Campbellsville averages about just over 34 points per game, and they are giving up close to 11 points per game. 
Pikeville is averaging close to 31 point per game, and giving up 11 points a game as well.

These teams are very close to being mirror images of one another just like it’s other Class 1A Foes in the other matchup.

Who wins this matchup for a shot at a state championship appearance? Does Campbellsville spoil Pikevilles chance at a 3 peat? Does Pikeville come to flex it’s muscle in Campbellsville?

I believe this is the more interesting game of the 1A semifinals. Almost everyone has said Pikeville or Raceland, myself included. As the season has went on, Campbellsville made more of a believer out of me. I believe Pikeville probably wins, but I think this is going to be much closer than I thought longer ago. I’m pulling for Campbellsville though.

Preseason Rankings to Start.

1. Pikeville vs. 5A Pulaski County (at Corbin)

2. Raceland at 4A Ashland 

3. Campbellsville vs. 2A Owen County (8/19)

4. Kentucky Country Day at 5A Atherton

5. Middlesboro vs. 4A Harlan County (8/19)

6. Newport Central Catholic at 3A #6 Lloyd Memorial (8/17)

7. Sayre at #10 Covington Holy Cross

8. Hazard at 2A Martin County

9. Louisville Holy Cross vs. 5A North Bullitt

10. Covington Holy Cross vs. #7 Sayre

End of Regular Season.

1. Pikeville vs. Harlan

2. Raceland vs. Berea

3. Campbellsville - - BYE

4. Paris vs. Eminence 

5. Sayre vs. Fairview

6. Kentucky Country Day vs. Fulton County

7. Newport Central Catholic vs. Trimble County (11/2)

8. Middlesboro vs. Lynn Camp (11/2)

9. Louisville Holy Cross at Russellville

10. Newport vs. Covington Holy Cross (11/4)

Happy to see Campbellsville get past NewCath. We've been eyeing the Eagles against either Pikeville or Raceland for a while now.

I'm expecting this one to be defined by defense and Pikeville's offensive line. They don't have the size of the last few years, but that unit has exceeded expectations. The tide turned last week against Middlesboro when Pikeville got behind its pads and turned the attitude and physicality up a notch or two.

The best thing Campbellsville has going for it is home field. Having Pikeville come to them instead of making that 4+ hour trip through the mountains is huge.

Should be a good one. I'll take the 1A standard bearer by 10-14 points. 

3 minutes ago, Bac2369 said:

What’s the weather forecast for this matchup?

According to weather.com:

Fri 24 | Day
52°
6%
NNE
10 mph
Intervals of clouds and sunshine. High 52F. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph.

Fri 24 | Night
30°
3%
NE
8 mph
Mostly cloudy skies early, then partly cloudy after midnight. Low near 30F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

Pikeville wants the rematch. I think all of EKY wants to see the rematch. Campbellsville has the talent and size along with the speed to pull this one out but I am taking the honest will and drive that Pikeville wants another shot at Raceland and that's what gets them through this game. 

Pikeville - 32

Campbellsville - 28