What Louisville Returns on Defense...

02Ram54

Louisville will lose a lot of senior players that played important roles for this team. But they will also be adding more talent to the rotation in general. The secondary especially, they lose players that got a lot of interceptions, but they also lose players that got burned deep. Every unit returns young stars.

Amobi Okoye was the biggest loss on either side of the ball, but the defensive line as a unit will actually improve.

I know the players with have to deal with a new coaching staff, and new system next year. Given that, and the talent they are returning, what are your expectations for the Cards next year? Would anything less than a return to a BCS Bowl be considered a disappointing season?

I think, with Brohm back and our freshman stars looking so good this past year, 10-3 is the base expectation.

Mike Cassity is still the DC, so the system shouldn't change too much- Louisville will still be an attacking defense.

They lose Quarterman and Foster, which is sure to hurt, though Giacomini should fill in nicely, as well as Benson or Donaghue to fill the other spot...Offensively they should be every bit as good, next season, as they were the last two years....Defensively, they lose Okoye, Harris, Gay, Sharp, Brown, Smith, and Smart....They have a ton of DL weapons back, Harris will leave a whole. As a unit, the secondary should be much better as a whole.

Personally, I think LB isn't an issue. Lamar Myles will start in the middle, Malik Jackson and Preston Smith will start outside, unless we sign either Josh Bynes or Brian Ellis, in which case I think Lamar Myles moves outside.

Sounds like they've got a good base back but will be counting on some inexperienced players. Should make for at least a couple of games that light up the scoreboard in WVU and UK. 10-3 sounds like a good prediction but 11-2 or another 12-1 wouldn't shock me depending on how the defense shapes up.

I am quite confident in this squad for next year.
I am too. And I think there's going to be just the right ammount of shoulder chip. Defensively, Louisville exceeded expectations this year, and they might be better next year if they can find a corner to play opposite of Rod Council.

Offensively, they clearly have everything in place for identical run, and Anthony Allen's development could actually take them to yet another level.