Mayfield vs. Beechwood Predictions/Updates (2A State Championship)

Mayfield vs Beechwood for another title  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

On 11/26/2022 at 1:04 AM, Purple88 said:

Great Writeup @Voice of Reason!

Beechwood is a great team and program.  But I have to support my Western Kentucky guys!

Go Cardinals!

3 hours ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

So far, not one person has publicly picked Mayfield in this contest. Hmmm. 

Purple88 is rooting for Mayfield. 

• Like 2

I’m taking the Cardinals. This team has taken everything that has been thrown at them this year and overcome time and time again. People keep mentioning Beechwood and that we may not have faced such a well oiled machine. I feel like we heard the same about the offensive game of LCA. We found a way! I believe we will find a way this Friday. I believe the coaches will have a plan and adjust as needed. This isn’t the same team as last year. I hate to keep using this as a crutch, although it’s valid, but after the year we have had I know that this team is putting the whole town on their backs and because of that they are playing MUCH harder!! 

Mayfield hasn’t won a title in about 7 years, we are definitely due!! This may be our year! 

Mayfield 31-28

• Like 4

Beechwood vs Mayfield 

Rash vs Morris 

What more could you ask for? Two powerhouses throwing punches at each other for all the marbles. I think mayfield has that revenge factor in them but it’s hard to pick against my tigers. Mayfield has historically owned beechwood, so does history repeat itself? I think not…

Beechwood 27 Mayfield 21

• Like 1

Friday night was my first trip to War Memorial Stadium since 1965 or '66.  There are a handful of stadiums around Kentucky that are truly iconic.  WMS is one special place.  Full stadium, the fence around the field with fans standing or sitting in the bed of a Crew Cab Pickup, a bar-b-cued pig available with a donation, fireworks.  LCA had a large crowd and they were as jazzed as the Mayfield crowd.  Great HS football.

JuJu and Cutter were the highlight players.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, WarMemorialVet said:

I’m taking the Cardinals. This team has taken everything that has been thrown at them this year and overcome time and time again. People keep mentioning Beechwood and that we may not have faced such a well oiled machine. I feel like we heard the same about the offensive game of LCA. We found a way! I believe we will find a way this Friday. I believe the coaches will have a plan and adjust as needed. This isn’t the same team as last year. I hate to keep using this as a crutch, although it’s valid, but after the year we have had I know that this team is putting the whole town on their backs and because of that they are playing MUCH harder!! 

Mayfield hasn’t won a title in about 7 years, we are definitely due!! This may be our year! 

Mayfield 31-28

40 minutes ago, WarMemorialVet said:

Mayfield 31-28

Very good point but Beechwood is also due to end that streak in the finals as well so we will see what happens. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zoneblitz2 said:

Not looking to start a separate debate but genuinely curious about this: I noticed both QB and RB for Mayfield took extra Covid year. I know people made a big deal out of “Super Seniors” a few years ago but how many players on both of these teams took the extra year?

Its Mayfield. All those eligible took the year basically.

I have a rule. don't pick against Mayfield. I'm sticking with that rule. Mayfield finds ways to win. Score 100% should have been 21-14 at half last Friday. LCA made a mistake and when you do that Mayfield makes you pay. Game changer.

Mayfield 35

Beechwood 28

• Like 3

I don’t think this game will be as close as some feel. I feel like Beechwood will dominate the line of scrimmage and keep the Mayfield offense in check. 
Beechwood is as good as Metcalfe up front and they stuffed the Mayfield running game, which I expect Beechwood to do the same.

The difference is Beechwood is elite at the corner position and Mayfield won’t be able to take advantage of the quick screens and passing game like they did with Metcalfe and LCA. I don’t think Mayfield will have a ton of success on offense. 

With that said, Mayfield is very good on defense, as good as anyone I’ve seen, so I don’t think Beechwood will score a ton, but I could see a 21-7 or 28-14 type game with Beechwood winning. that's Just one man’s opinion. 
Good luck to both teams, they have been the best two teams all year, so this only seems right to see them meet here and battle it out. 

What I am getting a sense of here is that people are making Mayfield the underdog which is never a good idea.  I think both of these teams are extremely similar in the fact that they are well coached and the kids play as hard as they can on every play.  I believe this game comes down to who makes the mistake with a turnover.  If Beechwood still had their starting RB I would give them the nod to win the game no doubt.  This will be a low scoring game 21-14 or 17-14 but I just have this feeling that Mayfield pulls this one out.

• Like 2