Mayfield vs. Beechwood Predictions/Updates (2A State Championship)

Mayfield vs Beechwood for another title  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, Keith the old guy said:

But the Beechwood QB is only a sophmore, I believe.

Boley is also a soph., the best soph. I can recall ever seeing.  Billy Jack Haskins was at the Mayfield vs LCA game, Tim Couch's kid plays for LCA but I do not know if he was there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toothpick said:

Boley is also a soph., the best soph. I can recall ever seeing.  Billy Jack Haskins was at the Mayfield vs LCA game, Tim Couch's kid plays for LCA but I do not know if he was there.  

Boley is a reclassified sophomore so it is his second season as a sophomore. That is relevant when comparing him to other sophomores.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mr. Neutral said:

I’ll be happy once all these reclassification classes have passed though.

I have mixed feelings on it. On the one hand it has been going on for years with all the middle school kids who repeat a year. But if it helps a kid get an opportunity I am not going to knock it. 

In Boley's case, I see the possibility that he will reclassify again and go back up to his original class. He already has great offers. Why not move on to the next level? I would rather redshirt a year in college than play an extra year of high school.

• Like 3

I have no clue about either of these teams besides their history and tradition.  I’ll take mayfield in this one, I think it would be poetic if they won state nearly one year after the tragedy that happened to their town.

Mayfield 35

Beechwood 34

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I have mixed feelings on it. On the one hand it has been going on for years with all the middle school kids who repeat a year. But if it helps a kid get an opportunity I am not going to knock it. 

In Boley's case, I see the possibility that he will reclassify again and go back up to his original class. He already has great offers. Why not move on to the next level? I would rather redshirt a year in college than play an extra year of high school.

Totally agree.  If it gets an athlete a better scholarship I could see it, but what if he gets hurt during that extra year in high school?  What kid actually wants to do an extra year of high school?  I would think most kids can’t wait to get to college.

15 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

With the offers from the bigs already in his pocket, to me he is risking his future with every HS snap.

• Like 3

This is a game I expect to go either way. I believe Mayfield could win this game by two touchdowns but I also think Beechwood could win by two touchdowns. I believe Mayfield's overall speed will be an advantage plus Cartwright is really coming on, he played his best game last week. The defense has been top notch all season. It's all a guess for most folks, I'm sure the coaches know who really has the advantage.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

This is a game I expect to go either way. I believe Mayfield could win this game by two touchdowns but I also think Beechwood could win by two touchdowns. I believe Mayfield's overall speed will be an advantage plus Cartwright is really coming on, he played his best game last week. The defense has been top notch all season. It's all a guess for most folks, I'm sure the coaches know who really has the advantage.

I would say if you talked to coaches on each staff they would tell you that nobody has an advantage.  This game will come down to who has the fewest penalties and turnovers.  Who has the better kicking game?  When you have these types of teams which coaching staffs like this the team that has the ability to knock one in from 30 yards can be huge.  Also field position is key.  If you can pin somebody back and make them go 80-75 each possession then you have a massive advantage.  I fully expect this to be one of the best games of the weekend. 

• Like 1

Cards by 7, historically the Cards have BW's number in these to close to call games.  If we don't win it, I am glad it will be the Wood that does.  Morris had a clip on the local NBC channel this morning and he talked about the similarities the two school share in terms of tradition and excellence.    

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zoneblitz24 said:

I would say if you talked to coaches on each staff they would tell you that nobody has an advantage.  This game will come down to who has the fewest penalties and turnovers.  Who has the better kicking game?  When you have these types of teams which coaching staffs like this the team that has the ability to knock one in from 30 yards can be huge.  Also field position is key.  If you can pin somebody back and make them go 80-75 each possession then you have a massive advantage.  I fully expect this to be one of the best games of the weekend. 

I can't say Mayfield has been the most disciplined team in regards to penalties, but their kicker (Lincoln Suiter) has been on the money this year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BadaBing said:

I can't say Mayfield has been the most disciplined team in regards to penalties, but their kicker (Lincoln Suiter) has been on the money this year.

From what I have seen, Suiter has an accurate leg but not a big leg. Kickoffs will be returnable for Beechwood. Suiter is 5-7 on field goals and 57-60 on extra points. Mayfield has returned 1 kickoff and 1 punt for TD's.

On the Beechwood side, kicking was impacted dramatically when Berger was injured. He was a weapon punting the ball. Many punts over 50 yards and a number of punts downed inside the 5 yard line. He was putting kickoffs into the end zone. He did not miss an extra point and was 1 for 1 on field goals. His leg was strong enough to kick 45 yard field goals. Punting, the Tigers have only punted the ball 4 times in the last six games but the new punter has been solid. After the Berger injury, Beechwood players recruited a classmate who wasn't even on the team to place kick and he has done a nice job. He has enough leg to get kickoffs inside the 10 with hang time. His leg is strong enough to kick a 40 yarder. He is 26-31 on extra points. He has not attempted a field goal. Beechwood has retuned 1 kickoff for a TD and no punt returns for TD. 

• Like 2