Mayfield vs. Beechwood Predictions/Updates (2A State Championship)

Mayfield vs Beechwood for another title  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

They're baaack. The Beechwood Tigers and Mayfield Cardinals are no strangers to state title games and they are no strangers to each other. BUT, it has been a while since the Tigers and Cardinals faced each other in a state title game. In fact it has been 20 years since these two met in a championship game. In 2002 the Cardinals and Tigers had a defensive face off with the Cardinals winning 14-7. It would not shock me to see a score like that in this one. These two teams are at the top of class 2A in team defense with the Tigers allowing 8 points per game and the Cardinals allowing 9 points per game. They are also #1 and #2 in scoring margin with the Tigers outscoring opponents by 34.2 per game and the Cardinals at 34.1. This game looks like another classic matchup. Despite the emotion and playoff rivalry between these two teams, there is mutual respect for each other. So much respect that the Beechwood community was one of the first to send support to Mayfield after the tragic tornado they suffered. The storylines in this game are epic. It is going to be a fun week leading up to the Friday December 2 kickoff at 4 pm in Lexington at Kroger Field.

Mayfield certainly earned their way to this title game. Despite being undefeated, the opponents on their schedule let them down and that dropped Mayfield to #3 in the KHSAA RPI. That forced a round 3 game against an undefeated Metcalfe County team and then a semifinal against the very dangerous Lexington Christian Eagles. Mayfield's record did enable them to host that semifinal game against LCA and the Cardinals used their vaunted War Memorial home field advantage to get a 38-28 win and a trip to the title game for the first time in three years. Experienced Jr QB Zane Cartwright has completed 65% of his passes for over 1,800 yards, 21 TD passes and only 3 interceptions. Jr RB Jutarious "JuJu" Starks is over 1,000 yards rushing and averages 10.7 yards per carry, which is #2 in 2A. The top WR is Sr. Isaac Stevenson averaging 23.4 yards per catch. Michael Hughes is a defensive standout with 7 interceptions.

Beechwood is traveling to the state title game for the third year in a row and they won titles in the previous two trips. The Tigers have running clocked their way to this title game including a very impressive 48-0 win over a strong Lloyd Memorial team. As mentioned above, the Tigers defense is the key to this team so we will start on that side of the ball. Jr DE Xavier Campbell leads 2A with 11 sacks on the season. Campbell is explosive from his DE position and has the speed to run down most QB's he has faced this year. CB Antonio Robinson Jr. is a D1 commit who teams have not been able to pass against. That has pushed passes toward the other CB and Carson Craycraft has racked up 7 interceptions, 3rd in 2A. This Tigers defense is all about discipline and team tackling. Offensively, So. QB Clay Hayden missed the first half of the season but now has enough games and passes to be ranked in the state stats. Hayden is #7 in 2A with 188 yards passing per game. He is #2 in completion percent at 70.2% and has 17 TD passes against only 2 interceptions. So. RB Chase Flaherty has impressed following in the footsteps of Mr. Football candidate Mitchell Berger, who injured his knee in game 8. Sr. Liam McCormack is a big, fast WR averaging 22.1 yards per catch. Robinson adds over 500 yards at the other WR position and is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. 

Beechwood got their first win ever over Mayfield last year with a 38-7 victory in the semifinals in Ft. Mitchell. This year the Tigers look to put the Mayfield history further into their past by beating the Cardinals in the title game. 

Will the Cardinals get back on track by once again beating Beechwood and earning their first title in 7 years? Can Beechwood win their third straight title and also show Mayfield that the past is the past? It doesn't get much better than this with two storied programs going at it for a title. How do you see this one playing out?

1770240368_BeechwoodvsMayfieldBanner.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• theguru changed the title to Mayfield vs. Beechwood Predictions/Updates (2A State Championship)

If this were a Hollywood story, we'd get Mayfield winning the championship after all that the Mayfield community has been through in the last year.  But this isn't Hollywood, and I think Beechwood has more experience on the big stage, and has just a little bit too much for the Cardinals.  I'll take the Tigers 28-17.  

• Like 3

I would agree that a Mayfield win would be a great Hollywood story, and I imagine that most non Beechwood people are pulling for them.  I know I would be if Beechwood was out of contention.  Still, I think this is the year that Beechwood breaks the Mayfield curse.  Tigers 21-14.

• Like 1

This game means a lot  more than it normally would after all the pain and suffering the community has been thru.  This team the entire season has provided the community with a ray of sunshine in the darkest days with something to believe in.  It is ironic the Cards opponent is Beechwood who was the first of many to come to our aid in those dark days.  On top of all that, the game being against the Tigers has a ton of other storylines for both. I could not imagine a better opponent for both the Cards and Tigers.  

• Like 10

Well this is the game all Beechwood fans fear as Mayfield almost always has the Tigers number when it comes to this matchup. The only bad thing about that is these kids that will be on the field next Friday only know about last years results. Mayfield will have vengeance on their mind for last years results. 
This Mayfield team is not last years team so Beechwood will need to come out and play its best game of the year. Defense will need to continue to do what it has all year and stifle the run game and get pressure on the opposing QB. I fully expect this to be a slugfest with lots of hard hitting and limited points being scored as both defenses are really good. I am biased when it comes to Beechwood of course but I fully expect this team to bring home the hardware and that’s saying something when you lose a Mr. Football Candidate in the 8th game of the year and this team has done nothing but come together and play at the same level as we would expect with Mitchell Berger still on the field.  
Beechwood 21

Mayfield 14

Go Tigers bring home State Championship #15!!!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BWTigers said:

Well this is the game all Beechwood fans fear as Mayfield almost always has the Tigers number when it comes to this matchup. The only bad thing about that is these kids that will be on the field next Friday only know about last years results. Mayfield will have vengeance on their mind for last years results. 
This Mayfield team is not last years team so Beechwood will need to come out and play its best game of the year. Defense will need to continue to do what it has all year and stifle the run game and get pressure on the opposing QB. I fully expect this to be a slugfest with lots of hard hitting and limited points being scored as both defenses are really good. I am biased when it comes to Beechwood of course but I fully expect this team to bring home the hardware and that’s saying something when you lose a Mr. Football Candidate in the 8th game of the year and this team has done nothing but come together and play at the same level as we would expect with Mitchell Berger still on the field.  
Beechwood 21

Mayfield 14

Go Tigers bring home State Championship #15!!!!!

Your post reminds me of our version of the Berger story, we lost our Berger, Jax Rodgers, the all state LB who blew out both knee and never got to finish.  Without Jax's we worried about how we could go forward yet here we are.  

• Like 5