Mayfield vs. Beechwood Predictions/Updates (2A State Championship)

Mayfield vs Beechwood for another title  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

31 minutes ago, zoneblitz24 said:

What I am getting a sense of here is that people are making Mayfield the underdog which is never a good idea.  I think both of these teams are extremely similar in the fact that they are well coached and the kids play as hard as they can on every play.  I believe this game comes down to who makes the mistake with a turnover.  If Beechwood still had their starting RB I would give them the nod to win the game no doubt.  This will be a low scoring game 21-14 or 17-14 but I just have this feeling that Mayfield pulls this one out.

Not sure if underdog is the way to put it. I think a lot feel both are evenly matched with Beechwood just barely getting the nod over Mayfield. As a tigers fan I know to never count out Mayfield until the clock says 0 in the 4th Quarter. We will see come Friday if the “underdog” stigma rings true. 

I feel as if Beechwood’s success over the last couple of years (vs Mayfield last year) is clouding some predictions here. I would be shocked if Beechwood won by multiple touchdowns. Joe Morris is as good as it gets, as is Noel Rash. Both teams will be well prepared. I think defense rules this game.

I need a couple more days to think on a winner but I’m thinking we get overtime. Hopefully a couple of them..😉

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ImJustHere said:

Not sure if underdog is the way to put it. I think a lot feel both are evenly matched with Beechwood just barely getting the nod over Mayfield. As a tigers fan I know to never count out Mayfield until the clock says 0 in the 4th Quarter. We will see come Friday if the “underdog” stigma rings true. 

To the fans and players of Mayfield if 1 person picks against them they take it personal lol.  Of the games this weekend I feel like this one has potential to be a great one.  Might not be what most people these days want to see which is tons of points put up on the board but you will get to see really good football being played.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zoneblitz24 said:

To the fans and players of Mayfield if 1 person picks against them they take it personal lol.  Of the games this weekend I feel like this one has potential to be a great one.  Might not be what most people these days want to see which is tons of points put up on the board but you will get to see really good football being played.

Absolutely agree. See this being one of, if not the best game to happen this weekend. 

1 hour ago, GC-Dragons said:

I don’t think this game will be as close as some feel. I feel like Beechwood will dominate the line of scrimmage and keep the Mayfield offense in check. 
Beechwood is as good as Metcalfe up front and they stuffed the Mayfield running game, which I expect Beechwood to do the same.

The difference is Beechwood is elite at the corner position and Mayfield won’t be able to take advantage of the quick screens and passing game like they did with Metcalfe and LCA. I don’t think Mayfield will have a ton of success on offense. 

With that said, Mayfield is very good on defense, as good as anyone I’ve seen, so I don’t think Beechwood will score a ton, but I could see a 21-7 or 28-14 type game with Beechwood winning. that's Just one man’s opinion. 
Good luck to both teams, they have been the best two teams all year, so this only seems right to see them meet here and battle it out. 

Good analysis. 

I will add after seeing LCA have success passing the ball I feel better about Beechwood's chances. The Beechwood passing game has picked up momentum during the playoffs and is looking very good.

38 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Good analysis. 

I will add after seeing LCA have success passing the ball I feel better about Beechwood's chances. The Beechwood passing game has picked up momentum during the playoffs and is looking very good.

I haven’t really watched beechwood this year. Is beechwood’s QB as good as Boley?

56 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Good analysis. 

Do you think that the passing success might have something to do with a 4* or 5* quarterback. Is Beechwood's quarterback a 4* or 5*?

• Like 3

Definitely beat me to it. There is no comparison for Boley to anyone right now. Idk who the Beechwood QB is but I’m sorry he’s not on the same level. That’s not saying he can’t play cause I’ve noticed his stats on here but no. We gave Boley what we wanted LCA to have. We limited the deep ball and kept everything in front of us. I’d say we did a pretty good job limiting him honestly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Neutral said:

I haven’t really watched beechwood this year. Is beechwood’s QB as good as Boley?

2 hours ago, Mayfieldsportsfan said:

Do you think that the passing success might have something to do with a 4* or 5* quarterback. Is Beechwood's quarterback a 4* or 5*?

2 hours ago, WarMemorialVet said:

Definitely beat me to it. There is no comparison for Boley to anyone right now. Idk who the Beechwood QB is but I’m sorry he’s not on the same level. That’s not saying he can’t play cause I’ve noticed his stats on here but no. We gave Boley what we wanted LCA to have. We limited the deep ball and kept everything in front of us. I’d say we did a pretty good job limiting him honestly. 

No, he is not a highly sought recruit like Boley. He is 6' tall and Boley is 6'5".

2 hours ago, WarMemorialVet said:

I know Boley is great, but watching the Mayfield vs. LCA film. He didn’t “WOW” me like I expected. He is a darn good QB and is worth the price of admission. But I wasn't blown away by him throwing the ball. Maybe I’m spoiled in getting to watch Hergott, and expect too much. But I can definitely see Hayden and the tigers having success airing it out. 

7 hours ago, ImJustHere said:

Unless you get an untimed down......

Sorry. Couldn't resist. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, ImJustHere said:

I know Boley is great, but watching the Mayfield vs. LCA film. He didn’t “WOW” me like I expected. He is a darn good QB and is worth the price of admission. But I wasn't blown away by him throwing the ball. Maybe I’m spoiled in getting to watch Hergott, and expect too much. But I can definitely see Hayden and the tigers having success airing it out. 

I think Mayfield has better pass defense than anyone is giving them credit for.  Boley had time to throw most of the night.  I can also see where he didn't impress you as much as you thought because he only has an arm.  Definitely not a run threat.  I view Hergott the opposite.  His legs killed you more than his arm.

I suspect Beechwood plays to their QB's strengths like any smart team.  Just from reading game threads this season, it seems like Beechwood is run oriented, and strategically mixes in the pass.  You guys haven't had to be flashy because you win with the basics.

• Like 2