Nick Saban Addresses NIL

Walter

A lot of good points made in the above interview... while also calling out A&M for buying their 2022 recruiting class.

Saban does a good job of explaining how these boosters are funneling money to outside marketing agencies to give to the players with the head coach knowing how much is in that collective to guarantee to those players. 

I would agree with him that this model isn't sustainable long term because eventually they will get tired of paying kids that don't pan out and end up transferring. Also really bad for managing a locker room. (Looking at you Tennessee and the $8mil you spent to land a QB)

Also takes a dive in to what the NCAA can do to try to help get things in check. Not being able to enforce their rules and having no protection from litigation when they rule a kid ineligible puts them in a spot where the transfer Portal is now "free agency" to the highest bidder. 

Most of the stuff mentioned, we already knew and have discussed. But still interesting to get his take on how the college game is changing because of NIL.

• Thanks 1

No Politics Policy

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, lawmaker, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, White House, Capitol, General Assembly, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, bill, House Bill (HBxxx), Senate Bill (SBxxx), legislative process, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

There is an aspect of “Jimbo doth protest too much” but it’s hard to side with Saban here, who has gamed the system for years and has gotten almost every player he wants. His stance reeks of someone who finally isn’t getting 100% of his way, and is having difficulty accepting it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

To be fair...this isn't unique to just Saban and Bama.

Kids at pretty much every major program in the country are getting "loaner" vehicles from boosters and alumni.

8 hours ago, Walter said:

To be fair...this isn't unique to just Saban and Bama.

Kids at pretty much every major program in the country are getting "loaner" vehicles from boosters and alumni.

Of course. 

But Saban saying they don't buy players is a bold-face lie. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DragonFire said:

There is an aspect of “Jimbo doth protest too much” but it’s hard to side with Saban here, who has gamed the system for years and has gotten almost every player he wants. His stance reeks of someone who finally isn’t getting 100% of his way, and is having difficulty accepting it. 

I agree.

The whole thing was bizarre, though I didn't fully watch the entire interview, just the headline portions where Saban called out A&M and Jackson State. Saban has apparently tried to reach out to Deion to apologize, but has not made contact. Deion has asked for their conversation be public, not private. I would not hold my breath.

31 minutes ago, bugatti said:

I agree.

The whole thing was bizarre, though I didn't fully watch the entire interview, just the headline portions where Saban called out A&M and Jackson State. Saban has apparently tried to reach out to Deion to apologize, but has not made contact. Deion has asked for their conversation be public, not private. I would not hold my breath.

I think I would pay the PPV cost to see that conversation.

• Like 1