Seeded District Tournaments or Blind Draw?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a one class system, I think it gives the little guy a chance where other times they would not have that chance.

For example, many moons ago Deming's boys' team made it to the regional tournament. In the 10th, that is about a $5,000 boom to your athletic budget. From my understanding they used those funds to purchase a PA system for the gym that the school had been wanting/needing but no funds to purchase it with.

In a seeded tournament, about 99% of the time it is going to be big school/private school as #1 seed playing the small public school as a #4 seed. Not because one school's program is so much better than the other but because we are looking at a school with a possibility of 1600 students compared to a school with 60 students.

If we had classes, I would be more willing to consider seeding but in a one class system, I think seeding is the wrong choice.

Seeding is always best. Those "small schools" who vote for the blind draw deserve to, when they have that 1-2 years per decade where the small school is "up," draw the traditional district power in the first round.

In fairness to small schools, that is just usually one of 4 votes. For a blind draw, you would need one of the midrange schools to also vote blind draw.

But on the other side, let's not think that it is some noble reasongin to vote for seeding. It makes strategic sense for schools #2 and #3 to also vote FOR SEEDING. Not for any other reason but for their selfish sake.

Let's take the Mason County region.

Mason is obviously going to be the #1 seed 99% of the time. So, if Bracken, Augusta and St. Patrick feel they have a better chance to beat out one of the other 3, get on the #2 and #3 seeded side, they will vote that way.

Not for any noble reason of sending the best teams to the regional tournament but for the selfish reason of knowing that they will not have to face Mason County in the first round if all they have to do is beat ONE OF THE OTHER TWO. And I am sure that one of those 3 will tell you that they expect to ALWAYS be either the #2 or #3 team and get away from Mason County.

The bigger schools wouldn't vote for seeding if they were like the smaller schools(like Deming) if they were in our situation.

It seems to me some wish the smaller schools out and no chance to play in the region, if seeding happens a bigger school might be "upset" by a smaller school and so the same result may occur. You have to play the game to win so I don't see why you have to seed, drawing is just as good.

Last year Harrison County was out by Pendleton County and the seeding discussion came up again, and it just seems to me some are sayng the smaller schools don't deserve a chance to play in the region. What makes the top schools better? Is it a Personel Preference, Their win/loss record, their athletes, or just the school name in general. Or is it you don't want to see a small school go ahead and try to win a few games into the region. Are you saying schools like Deming, Augusta, Nicholas County, St. Pat don't deserve to go just because of their name or no known players that didn't make the sporting news had any recongition from a from the media or BGP shouldn't have a chance in the region.

By letting the blind draw occur you may see a small school upset a bigger school say in the championship, that's the stuff I like to see in a tournament district or otherwise.

The bigger schools wouldn't vote for seeding if they were like the smaller schools(like Deming) if they were in our situation.

It seems to me some wish the smaller schools out and no chance to play in the region, if seeding happens a bigger school might be "upset" by a smaller school and so the same result may occur. You have to play the game to win so I don't see why you have to seed, drawing is just as good.

Last year Harrison County was out by Pendleton County and the seeding discussion came up again, and it just seems to me some are sayng the smaller schools don't deserve a chance to play in the region. What makes the top schools better? Is it a Personel Preference, Their win/loss record, their athletes, or just the school name in general. Or is it you don't want to see a small school go ahead and try to win a few games into the region. Are you saying schools like Deming, Augusta, Nicholas County, St. Pat don't deserve to go just because of their name or no known players that didn't make the sporting news had any recongition from a from the media or BGP shouldn't have a chance in the region.

By letting the blind draw occur you may see a small school upset a bigger school say in the championship, that's the stuff I like to see in a tournament district or otherwise.

I could not disagree more. The kids who have won the games deserve to be rewarded. The small schools have the same chance to win as the big schools. They can be seeded higher if they can win the games in the regular season. Also they can knock off the higher seeds in the first round just as they could in the finals. And as a matter of fact, no I don't want to see two teams with under 10 wins play each other while two teams with 25 wins draw each other in the first round. I want to see the best play the best. If the smaller school can knock off one of the teams with 25 wins then they deserve to be in the 2nd round and it makes for a GREAT story, but they shouldn't have that opportunity just because we feel sorry for them because they are a small school. The opportunity shouldn't be taken away from a kid who goes to a bigger school because both kids have been given the same chance. It has nothing to do with media or opinion, just head to head competition.

I could not disagree more. The kids who have won the games deserve to be rewarded. The small schools have the same chance to win as the big schools. They can be seeded higher if they can win the games in the regular season. Also they can knock off the higher seeds in the first round just as they could in the finals. And as a matter of fact, no I don't want to see two teams with under 10 wins play each other while two teams with 25 wins draw each other in the first round. I want to see the best play the best. If the smaller school can knock off one of the teams with 25 wins then they deserve to be in the 2nd round and it makes for a GREAT story, but they shouldn't have that opportunity just because we feel sorry for them because they are a small school. The opportunity shouldn't be taken away from a kid who goes to a bigger school because both kids have been given the same chance. It has nothing to do with media or opinion, just head to head competition.

No School wants anyone to feel sorry for them, especially a small school. I'm saying why is seeding so important? just because the top 2 teams should play the 2 lower teams in the first round serves to them in their mind a warm-up to the championship game and wouldn't be a story if neither of the top 2 made it championship.

Earlier Deming lost by just 10pts. to Harrison County the preceived blowout didn't happen there so who knows what would happen if we should meet a the district.

No School wants anyone to feel sorry for them, especially a small school. I'm saying why is seeding so important? just because the top 2 teams should play the 2 lower teams in the first round serves to them in their mind a warm-up to the championship game and wouldn't be a story if neither of the top 2 made it championship.

Earlier Deming lost by just 10pts. to Harrison County the preceived blowout didn't happen there so who knows what would happen if we should meet a the district.

And I think that Harrison should be rewarded for winning the game - even if it wasn't a blow out. Maybe if they are seeded against each other Deming can make the adjustments that would allow them to make up the 10 points, but to throw the game out seems to nullify the win.

What if they just seeded #1 and #2 and blind drew the rest?

Back to the Henry Clay/Bryan Station/Scott Co./Sayre example - the top team in this district should have earned the right to play the bottom team. Drawing for the bottom two spots wouldn't reward the top team in this situation.

And I think that Harrison should be rewarded for winning the game - even if it wasn't a blow out. Maybe if they are seeded against each other Deming can make the adjustments that would allow them to make up the 10 points, but to throw the game out seems to nullify the win.

Which points out to me if you lose to a team during the season it may different outcome at tournament time.

Since the district teams face each other during the season, it should be pretty easy to seed the district. Beyond that, the teams don't have common opponents or head to head records, making it more of a guess than a science. I do think it should be the same in every district.

It seems to work well in the NCAA tournament. I'm sure the 6th Region, 7th Region, and the11th Rgeion would agree. Of course,the "Teen Regions" would disagree since they depend on drawing each other if they are to have a chance to stay more than one day.

If you want to seed districts why not take the steps to avoid first round possibilities like Scott County vs. Louisville Ballard and Paintsville vs. Hazard?

It seems to work well in the NCAA tournament. I'm sure the 6th Region, 7th Region, and the11th Rgeion would agree. Of course,the "Teen Regions" would disagree since they depend on drawing each other if they are to have a chance to stay more than one day.

If you want to seed districts why not take the steps to avoid first round possibilities like Scott County vs. Louisville Ballard and Paintsville vs. Hazard?

There is a committee that is established and an entrenched system to seed the NCAA tournament. They also have the advantage of television that lets them see many or most of the schools that they are seeding. The same cannot be said for the state where parts of the state have never seen a team from another part play. Heck, the writers for the Courier-Journal and Herald Leader have probably not seen most of the teams play. So who would do the seeding?