C-Pap Machine

Jumper_Dad

13 hours ago, swamprat said:

I clean and disinfect mine by hand every Saturday morning. I was taking it to Mease Countryside Hospital to have a thorough cleaning once every six months. I don't know what they did with it there, but it they cleaned, tested, and repaired it, if necessary. They curtailed that during COVID and I haven't checked back with them. 

What do you use to clean it, product wise?

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

I use wet wipes designed for CPAP masks and wipe the mask down every day, and then pop it into my UV cleaner (I use the Paptizer). The water chamber gets a water/white vinegar solution (3 parts H2O/1part water) for 30 minutes every other week, and my hose gets soaked in the vinegar solution once a week. I throw those in the UV cleaner once a week as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I use wet wipes designed for CPAP masks and wipe the mask down every day, and then pop it into my UV cleaner (I use the Paptizer). The water chamber gets a water/white vinegar solution (3 parts H2O/1part water) for 30 minutes every other week, and my hose gets soaked in the vinegar solution once a week. I throw those in the UV cleaner once a week as well.

I have the CPAP wipes too. I usually just wash mine in a touch of dish detergent and warm water. 

On 4/29/2022 at 8:11 AM, TheDeuce said:

My machine is really quiet. The only time you can hear it is if it's on and I pull it away from my face. 

I too hate cleaning it @rjs4470. I've considered getting one of those sanitizer deals where you throw everything in a bag and it cleans it, but those seem to have mixed reviews. 

I've asked my Dr. about those and he advised that he thought they were a waste of money. 

On 4/29/2022 at 8:40 AM, CincySportsFan said:

My wife thinks I need to have a sleep study done.  She's never said anything about me stopping breathing, but says I snore like the proverbial freight train.  (I've already had a doctor say I've got a deviated septum, but nothing has ever been done about it.)  The main thing that's kept me away from doing an in-lab study before was the costs.  Our insurance at the time didn't cover it.  But, we've got a different provider now, so maybe?  Any of you do an at-home study?  My understanding is that they're much, much cheaper.

Also, any of you sleep on your side?  I do for probably 95% of the night, so I'd be worried about something that'd get knocked out of place when I laid on the my side.

I did an at home study, perhaps an in office overnight study would be more accurate, but I was such an obvious case I don't think it mattered.  

I sleep exclusively on my side or stomach.  I also have a full face mask.  I hasn't caused any problem for me.  When on my stomach I'll use a second pillow under my forehead to create a bit of a gap for my mask to fit.  

Sleeping with a mask might require some adjustments to how you normally would have slept, however, in my case the results made any change in my routine well worth it.   My Dr. originally suggested that I try to use the mask for 3 or 4 hours a night until I get used to it.  I kept in on all night long from day one.  That first morning when I woke up I felt like I had slept for a month straight.  The first week or so using a mask is amazing as you catch up on all that missed sleep you've had.  

I used to fall asleep watching TV, waiting in a Dr. office, or even a lot of times when I was driving (maybe  not asleep, but doing the constant head nods and fighting to stay awake)  Now it is rare that those things will occur.  

18 hours ago, swamprat said:

I will not try to go without one, I don't care whether the insurance picks it up or not. I literally cannot sleep without one.

That's how I am.  Couldn't image trying to sleep without it.  If I don't use it I get a sore throat the next day.  Not sure why.   One night while staying in a hotel I put my mask on but forgot to attach the hose to the machine.  (There may have been alcohol involved)  That next day was awful, felt like I had strep throat.  It's happened on a few other occasions as well.  Don't think I've ever not used it and didn't get a sore throat. 

7 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

I clean the mask, cushions, and tube with plain dishwashing detergent, Palmolive, scrubbing the passages with a tooth brush. I then soak them all in a 1/3 vineger, 2/3 water solution for 30 minutes or so. I also change out the cushion every night. My doctor also told me to avoid the UV cleaners. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Irish Cat said:

I've asked my Dr. about those and he advised that he thought they were a waste of money. 

Yes there are a lot of of conflicting reports. The thing is, even with frequent cleaning I’d often end up with musty smells. That stopped when I started using the SoClean. So it did something. Of course, the consensus on the ozone cleaners is that they will eventually cause damage to your machine. I’ve only been using the UV machine for about a month, but I’m not getting any weird smells with that either. So at the very least it’s not hurting anything. I understand the skepticism, but they do seem to work at least in my experience.

8 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Same. I actually have a heated hose and it auto sets the temperature and humidity. 

I have the same Resmed AirSense10 that Swampy said he has, I set heat and humidity to my preference. It will maintain those settings every day.

9 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I have the same Resmed AirSense10 that Swampy said he has, I set heat and humidity to my preference. It will maintain those settings every day.

That’s the one I have too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...