Power Outage Map

nWo

16 minutes ago, theguru said:

I know it is a first world problem but being without power is horrible.  Fortunately for me I live in a quasi old folks home with great infrastructure and fast service anytime there is an issue. 

In 2009 our feed was above ground coming down US68.  After widening its now underground.  Hopefully that helps this time.  But made sure to have gas and extra extension cords yesterday if the generator needs to come out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

In 2009 our feed was above ground coming down US68.  After widening its now underground.  Hopefully that helps this time.  But made sure to have gas and extra extension cords yesterday if the generator needs to come out. 

The above/under ground thing is a big deal, especially when it comes to ice.

A couple of times in the past I was assigned to traffic control for telephone pole replacement.  Talk about long and boring...

I don't have a generator. I was listening to the state weather report yesterday and it mentioned the correct procedure for using one. Apparently sometimes people have it located too close to their home and the carbon monoxide can get into the house. I'm glad I watched the report, if I had one, I never would have thought of that.

1 hour ago, PP1 said:

I don't have a generator. I was listening to the state weather report yesterday and it mentioned the correct procedure for using one. Apparently sometimes people have it located too close to their home and the carbon monoxide can get into the house. I'm glad I watched the report, if I had one, I never would have thought of that.

Some run in an open garage in order to try to keep the ice off of it.  But that is similar to having a running car in the garage.  A patio with a roof that is part of the house or enclosed patio can also leak CO2 into the house.  So it needs to be in a place to vent only into open air.  The freezing rain may build up on the generator but should not hurt it. 

You also need long extension cords.  I keep 3 100' medium duty cords and some shorter ones to reach the areas to feed if needed. 

• Thanks 1