Campbell County 62 Bishop Brossart 43

The Campbell County Camels evened the Alexandria Crosstown Boys Classic Series at 12-12 with a 62-43 win over Bishop Brossart at the Campbell County Middle School Saturday night.

Neither team was able to score in the first five minutes of competition, with the Mustangs holding a 7-5 advantage at the end of the period.

The Camels used four 3-pointers in the second period to put 21 points on the board, with the Mustangs only able to counter with 9, giving the visitors (Brossart was the home team) a 26-16 lead at halftime, and then salted it away with another 22 points in the third quarter, stretching their advantage to 48-31 after three.  Both teams liberally exercised their benches in the final stanza, as the Camels went on to win 62-43,'

Camel Junior Aydan Hamilton scored his 1,000th point early in the contest and finished with 17 points on the night.   Brossart's David Govan led all scorers with 18 on the night.  Both players were named their respective team's Players of the Game.  Mason Sepate contributed 12 for the Mustangs, and Keegan Hill and Eric Davie netted 11 each for the Camels.

The Camels swept the three game series with a 30-19 win over our Freshmen, and ran away from the Brossart JVs by a 60-27 score.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• theguru changed the title to Campbell County 62 Bishop Brossart 43
9 hours ago, Mustang said:

The Campbell County Camels evened the Alexandria Crosstown Boys Classic Series at 12-12 with a 62-43 win over Bishop Brossart at the Campbell County Middle School Saturday night.

Neither team was able to score in the first five minutes of competition, with the Mustangs holding a 7-5 advantage at the end of the period.

The Camels used four 3-pointers in the second period to put 21 points on the board, with the Mustangs only able to counter with 9, giving the visitors (Brossart was the home team) a 26-16 lead at halftime, and then salted it away with another 22 points in the third quarter, stretching their advantage to 48-31 after three.  Both teams liberally exercised their benches in the final stanza, as the Camels went on to win 62-43,'

Camel Junior Aydan Hamilton scored his 1,000th point early in the contest and finished with 17 points on the night.   Brossart's David Govan led all scorers with 18 on the night.  Both players were named their respective team's Players of the Game.  Mason Sepate contributed 12 for the Mustangs, and Keegan Hill and Eric Davie netted 11 each for the Camels.

The Camels swept the three game series with a 30-19 win over our Freshmen, and ran away from the Brossart JVs by a 60-27 score.    

12-12?  I know they have been playing for many years before that.  I can vaguely remember the first time Brossart had ever beat Campbell.  If memory serves me correctly Dan Sullivan was at CC at that time.  

10 hours ago, Mustang said:

I was going to ask about that too. What is with the 24 games? Seems like it would be 54 games by now.

The Brossart-Campbell County regular season game officially became the Alexandria Businessmen's Crosstown Classic during the 1998-99 season, played at the Campbell County Middle School on an annual basis until last year when it was moved to the CCHS campus in Claryville, due to the Covid pandemic.

Brossart won 7 of the first 9.  Campbell County has now won 6 of the last 10.

The entire history of the Boys Crosstown Classic can be viewed at:

https://bmustangs.com/mustangs-camels-renew-crosstown-classic-rivalry-saturday-at-the-campbell-county-middle-school/ 

7 hours ago, Mustang said:

The Brossart-Campbell County regular season game officially became the Alexandria Businessmen's Crosstown Classic during the 1998-99 season, played at the Campbell County Middle School on an annual basis until last year when it was moved to the CCHS campus in Claryville, due to the Covid pandemic.

Brossart won 7 of the first 9.  Campbell County has now won 6 of the last 10.

The entire history of the Boys Crosstown Classic can be viewed at:

https://bmustangs.com/mustangs-camels-renew-crosstown-classic-rivalry-saturday-at-the-campbell-county-middle-school/ 

So what about all the games played prior to that?  Now I have a curiosity.  

2 hours ago, cincyswords said:

I'm sure that Campbell County won the vast majority of the games played between the two teams prior to the formal creation of the "Crosstown Classic."

While we were members of the NKIAC (prior to in 1990-91) and from 1990 through 1996-97 before we upgraded from NKAC DivIII to DivII, I'm not even sure that we played each other in the regular season, but only in the district tournament..  I'm thinking the first time we beat Campbell County was in the district tournament, where we have always shared membership in the same district.

9 hours ago, cincyswords said:

Utilizing a new tool available on Riherds (KHSAA) scoreboard, it shows Campbell County leading Brossart 24-16 in all games played, including the former Mason County Invitational Tournament as well as District tournament competition.  These records go back to December 6, 1997.

I sincerely doubt that Brossart owned many wins over the Camels previous to that, which would have all come in district play.  Prior to Willie Schlarman's arrival at Brossart, I can only remember us playing in two regional tournaments - these would have occured when Brossart drew Silver Grove in the first round of the district and went as District runners-up.  Prior to Willie arriving at Brossart, we had never won a regional tournament game.'

Perhaps Mel Webster might know the overall all-time record between our schools, but I kind of doubt it.

The overall record is probably in Campbell's favor.....as it probably would in 6A/1A matchups. No matter what the records, the games are an electric atmosphere and are memory makers for the players, coaches, and fans.

I've been notified by a player involved in the game, that the Mustangs first defeated Campbell County in 1977, when LeRoy Randall was the coach at Campbell County.

Steve Ripberger, Steve Havlin, Jim Walerius, and Joe Ritter played on the Brossart team.