Bengals offseason needs

How much rope do you give a guy to hang himself with? And so I'm clear, Odell misses(not fails) a drug test, has another issue regarding reporting on time, and the drinking issue. Chris Henry waves guns, pukes out of cars, buys alcohol for teenage girls.........and you want to excuse one and not the other? Please explain........

IMO BOTH are immature acts by two very immature players. Either excuse both players or reprimand both in the same manner.

I am on record as both should be gone. Just pointing out a possible thought process that they may have. Not that I agree with it at all.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go on the record with this about who will stay and who will go.

I think Henry stays, because, well he's already screwed up this much, and he's still here. At this point, you'd think, it can only get better.

I think Odell is gone. If you've listened to or watched any of Marvin's press conferences about Odell you'll hear that he's obviously touched a personal nerve with Marvin. Whatever happened, I don't think Marv wants him back, and that usually means your gone.

I believe:

1. That Odell will never be the same and will flame out somewhere else.

2. That if David Fulcher says that if there is one player the Bengals need to re-sign it is Justin Smith then maybe I should change my mind about how good Smith is.

3. That letting Steinbach walk is a big mistake.

4. That the biggest need in the draft is a cornerback.

5. That the second biggest need is linebacker.

6. That the third biggest need is wide receiver (think about how much time the WRs have missed this year).

7. That Palmer is still an offseason away from being totally ready.

8. That Chris Perry is facing a make or break year.

9. That Sam Adams is done.

10. That the schedule rotation (Home = NE, Jets, Cardinals, Rams, TBA and Away = Bills, Dolphins, San Fran, Seattle, TBA) helps a lot next year.

I'll go on the record with this about who will stay and who will go.

I think Henry stays, because, well he's already screwed up this much, and he's still here. At this point, you'd think, it can only get better.

I think Odell is gone. If you've listened to or watched any of Marvin's press conferences about Odell you'll hear that he's obviously touched a personal nerve with Marvin. Whatever happened, I don't think Marv wants him back, and that usually means your gone.

I agree it sure seems that way. I don't recall Marvin ever having such strong and negative comments about Henry (who has done more) than Odell.

Again, I wonder if Marvin sees Henry's as stupid acts of immaturity that he is growing out of and will not be a problem anymore where Odell's is a physical addiction to some sort of bad drug that can bring others down.

As far as the physical addiction being a lesser problem, I disagree. Stupid immaturity would have led to Odell trying a drug just like Henry's stupid immaturity led him to do his stupid things. The only difference is that Henry seemed to have a standard of not doing the drugs that Odell seems to have done.

As far as the failed drug test, GT didn't you point out once that there has to be either multiple missed drug tests or a missed drug test AFTER a failed one to warrant a suspension? It is NOT just ONE MISSED drug test and then a suspension.

I believe:

1. That Odell will never be the same and will flame out somewhere else.

2. That if David Fulcher says that if there is one player the Bengals need to re-sign it is Justin Smith then maybe I should change my mind about how good Smith is.

3. That letting Steinbach walk is a big mistake.

4. That the biggest need in the draft is a cornerback.

5. That the second biggest need is linebacker.

6. That the third biggest need is wide receiver (think about how much time the WRs have missed this year).

7. That Palmer is still an offseason away from being totally ready.

8. That Chris Perry is facing a make or break year.

9. That Sam Adams is done.

10. That the schedule rotation (Home = NE, Jets, Cardinals, Rams, TBA and Away = Bills, Dolphins, San Fran, Seattle, TBA) helps a lot next year.

1. That would be the easy call. If he lands with a stable situation, he could very well turn in to the mega star we saw developing last year.

2. I wouldn't mind keeping Smith, but if he tests the waters he is going to get a lot more than what he's worth.

3. I disagree 100%. You can't put all the money on O, and with 4 starters next year signed and two high quality guys in the wings, you have to let Eric go. Take a look at Hutchinson's contract in Minnesota and ask if he's worth that with two guys ready to step in.

4. I'd rather the CB situation is taken care of in free agency. O'Neal and J. Joe make a solid 1-2 combo, so the need isn't that great. If we draft a DB, I'd rather see a hard hitting SS to go next to Madieu.

5. I agree, but I do so with DT or DE as need #1.

6. You get a quality draft pick in Brazell, and McNiel will be even more ready if he doesn't end up in jail.

7. I agree.

8. I agree.

9. Sam has had a very good year doing his job. I have no clue why people expected statistical production from a guy that has never provided numbers.

10. No doubt about that one.

GT, #4 I agree. I would like to have a safety roaming back there and making WR's alligator arm throws as safeties have done to Henry/Johnson this year. I have been disappointed in Williams this year. Thought he would have a HUGE year and it just hasn't happened.

It seems all top defenses have a player that MAKES plays. Steelers had Palomou (sp?) last year, San Diego Merriman, Broncos Lynch, Ravens Reed/Lewis, etc, etc. Bengals don't have that game changing defensive player. Somebody that you come across the middle and you are going to pay.

GT, #4 I agree. I would like to have a safety roaming back there and making WR's alligator arm throws as safeties have done to Henry/Johnson this year. I have been disappointed in Williams this year. Thought he would have a HUGE year and it just hasn't happened.

It seems all top defenses have a player that MAKES plays. Steelers had Palomou (sp?) last year, San Diego Merriman, Broncos Lynch, Ravens Reed/Lewis, etc, etc. Bengals don't have that game changing defensive player. Somebody that you come across the middle and you are going to pay.

Madieu makes a ton of plays, and he flies all over the field. But you are right in that he isn't a big hitting game changer. He's a FS in the truest sense of the word, and he's very good at it. He needs a Batman to his Robin...

Madieu makes a ton of plays, and he flies all over the field. But you are right in that he isn't a big hitting game changer. He's a FS in the truest sense of the word, and he's very good at it. He needs a Batman to his Robin...

Hasn't Lewis repeatedly said that there is no difference in the safeties? You have to be able to play both. I would love to see a player like a Fulcher back there with him.

As far as the failed drug test, GT didn't you point out once that there has to be either multiple missed drug tests or a missed drug test AFTER a failed one to warrant a suspension? It is NOT just ONE MISSED drug test and then a suspension.

4 games is mistake #2. I had VERY reliable sources tell me about serious problems with Odell in the off season. He has to go...

Hasn't Lewis repeatedly said that there is no difference in the safeties? You have to be able to play both. I would love to see a player like a Fulcher back there with him.

He has and can play both sides because that's the system. When he switches, he becomes a FS playing SS...

KK is the only one I have seen make any big plays or lay some people out.