Frederick Douglass Football Program

theguru

18 minutes ago, Spartandad said:

Actually, I do think that. D1 coaches have told me that. Recruiters have told me that.. If a kid is too small, he won't get an offer, regardless of his talent. Often a coach will extend an offer because of a kid's size as long as he's decently talented. I've seen players that have done nothing during a season, but performed amazing at camps and been offered based solely on that. 

Agree to disagree I guess. 

Rule 2 reads in part:

2. No disparaging, taunting, or boastful comments--especially between opponents trying to intimidate each other. This includes, name calling or personal attacks toward any member, username, team, or school. 

• Like 1

What happened to FD? Uhh, guys and gals, outside of maybe 5-7 programs in the WHOLE state, I’m taking FD. Still very early on in their program’s history and they have competed for a title pretty much every single year. A lot of posters on here critical of FD would kill to have their program. 

• Like 3

My two cents for what it is worth. I watched the game on NFHS, I went back and watched a few more to see if I could figure it out.  I am aware of the amount of talent they have and have had. 

One thing that jumps out at me almost immediately is the amount of pageantry surrounding them.  Did I read that ran through a banner in a scrimmage?  The social media that you guys mention in previous posts.  Those things do not lose football games or win them. They do fuel fires that may burn in opponents.  Those are little things.  They add up. 

Watching things from the NFHS broadcast I noticed some things. One there seems to be a lot of kids walking on and off the field. Program type stuff.  Next I would point out that there is a level of physicality that is lacking. Program type stuff. Schemes seem very basic. Not a lot of things that would be difficult to prepare for. This iwould not be a problem if you are truly more athletic than everyone else, but when you play teams that are battled tested as well as having athletes too and you run basic stuff, just hoping to have better kids it does not always work out.  Especially against a well coached teams.  

Here is the last part.  When you make posters  about owning the city and shutting out this poor team or that poor team then you line up and get smoked when the whole state is watching, you need to reevaluate your priorities. Are you more interested in talking to college coaches and telling everyone about it or hoisting trophies. It seems to be hard for them to do both. 

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, laketime85 said:

Here is the last part.  When you make posters  about owning the city and shutting out this poor team or that poor team then you line up and get smoked when the whole state is watching, you need to reevaluate your priorities. Are you more interested in talking to college coaches and telling everyone about it or hoisting trophies. It seems to be hard for them to do both. 

Bingo.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, laketime85 said:

Didn't they hold a big college signing press conference for Key to commit to UK the week of the Boyle County game? That seems like terrible timing to put effort into something like the week of the biggest game of the year. 

I think all of your comments have validity. 

On 10/30/2021 at 2:51 PM, theguru said:

What is going on at Douglass?  

Last night was a horrendous display of football by the Broncos and generally speaking over the years the Frederick Douglass football program seems to underachieve.

So I will ask again, what is going on at Frederick Douglass?

Their core values are:

Accountability, Be Honest, Character and Discipline.. HUH? Those were lacking A LOT on Friday night. And again and again and again as we have all stated, Douglass is and always be a victim of weak schedule. 

• Thanks 1

Great thread.  

I like Freddy D and I hope to see them get over the hump one day.  They always have loads of talent and for a Lexington public school they seem to at the very least be able to get kids into D1 colleges and get their education paid for.   To some folks that is more important than hoisting a trophy and there is nothing wrong with that.   

At the same time when the trash talking starts you better be able to back it up.   

• Like 4

You're right @PurplePride92this is a good thread!

Couple things:

1.  I don't think the comparison above to South Warren is that close.  Because South is in a district with Bowling Green.  I believe if they weren't then South Warren wins the 2020 5A title last year.  

I know Scott County is there and all, but I think FD has cleared them for a time now.

2.  I think @Kanaka Kahakaiis right that their schedule does them no favors.  Look at the teams that win state championships and look at their schedules.  Far and away, the teams with tougher schedules win championships.

3.  I think @laketime85 is spot on with his assessment of such pageantry maybe running the show a bit, which plays into the weaker schedule.  You don't have to show up when you are playing lesser teams and still win.

4.  I think Freddie is terrific program.  They have great players, good coaches, great facilities and a good fanbase.  But it just seems that certain tweaks are needed to get to the next level.  Things like:

A. Go to Dalton, GA or Charlotte, NC in the summer for a big 7v7 tournament (i.e. change it up);

B. Improve your schedule (easy to say, harder to do, but could be done).

C. Tweak your culture; start with your seniors, run off the field, little things like above.

And as @Kenny Powerssaid, most people would trade to be FD everyday of the week.  Only 6 teams win the State Championship each year.  It's hard to do.  

Boyle County has given FD a gift IMO (its a tough gift, but no less a gift).  That is the level of effort it takes to compete in championship games.  Now it is FD's chance to rise to that level.  They have a great chance this year.  Outside of South Warren (and maybe Owensboro) all the normal 5A bluebloods (BG, CovCath, etc.) are down.

If not now, when FD?

• Like 4

I would have loved to see FD take that Male game a few weeks back. If you want to complain about having to play all of the Lexington public schools I get it, but when you get an opportunity to take on Goliath you have to take it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Tones said:

I would have loved to see FD take that Male game a few weeks back. If you want to complain about having to play all of the Lexington public schools I get it, but when you get an opportunity to take on Goliath you have to take it.

I wouldn’t take on Male with less than 2 days notice.  Especially this year.  That’s just asinine.