Frederick Douglass Football Program

theguru

What is going on at Douglass?  

Last night was a horrendous display of football by the Broncos and generally speaking over the years the Frederick Douglass football program seems to underachieve.

So I will ask again, what is going on at Frederick Douglass?

21 minutes ago, theguru said:

What is going on at Douglass?  

Last night was a horrendous display of football by the Broncos and generally speaking over the years the Frederick Douglass football program seems to underachieve.

So I will ask again, what is going on at Frederick Douglass?

Seems like a reasonable question... 

Whats going on?  A fifth year team lost to a team that's been successful since at least the year 2000.  Our inaugural year we got blasted by an undefeated state champion in Danville, and lost to the region football bully TTUN twice. 2nd year,  beat em regular season, then we lost by 1 to them in the playoffs, haven't lost to them since.  

Lost in the state finals by a touchdown to CovCath. 

Lost by 2 to in the season opener to a North Hardin team that went 3rd round of playoffs, then lost in the 4th round by one to Owensboro.  

Where is the underachievement? Someone please explain. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

Where is the underachievement? Someone please explain. 

Underachievement probably isn’t the right word but you don’t typically see tweets like this from schools without state titles. I think a lot of folks are curious when the on-field high school success is coming instead of where the next player is committing to college. 

F3F1B6CE-A066-4C56-B7AD-0D33A9DD62E9.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sure seem to have some outstanding talent. Maybe this is their year. It is very difficult to hoist that big trophy especially in 5A. Boyle County is an outstanding program and team and it sounds like that might have been one of those games where FD had nothing go right.

I think the underachieving label comes from the numerous 4 star players they have had, dominating other lex schools, dropping down a class and still not winning a championship. They are arguably the most talented team in the state outside of Male. They just don’t seem to win the big games. 

• Like 3

The hype train is hard on Douglas. Then, there is the fact that college football coaches recruit the best  athletes and not necessarily the best football players… I think Douglas probably has a lot of athletes on  their team, but maybe is missing some good old blue collar football players.. this is my guess.. 

40 minutes ago, Bud_Kilmer said:

I think the underachieving label comes from the numerous 4 star players they have had, dominating other lex schools, dropping down a class and still not winning a championship. They are arguably the most talented team in the state outside of Male. They just don’t seem to win the big games. 

Get out of here.  At least 3 wins from cancelations, and play teams on the short side of the win column.  Not doubting talent, just doubting competition.  They were put in their place last night.  Playoffs will definitely tell the story.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RunForest said:

Get out of here.  At least 3 wins from cancelations, and play teams on the short side of the win column.  Not doubting talent, just doubting competition.  They were put in their place last night.  Playoffs will definitely tell the story.  

Agree!

Last night is probably the best thing that could have happened to Freddie D this year. 

• Like 3

Okay I am as many know on here I am huge fans of several teams from HS to the pros. High schools my Alma Mater East Carter High School Frederick Douglass who was very nice to me as I knew several people who my wife and I moved here in 2015. Then also any other schools not playing East Carter that are from the 16th Region (even West Carter lol). In college Kentucky all the way! In the pros the Cincinnati Reds, Cincinnati Bengals, and the Los Angles Lakers. I feel I am really no different that other people are on here for their teams.

That being said I of course have some things to say about the program at Douglass. I feel we are treated by people like Coach Cal and Kentucky basketball you have very good players when you do what you are supposed to do and blow teams out no praise because you are supposed to, but lose to a really good team and it’s they can’t win big games or some other reason. Also, when we win no one says anything, but lose and people come out of the wood work to criticize.

Now I think the Douglass school as yes especially the coaches just like Coach Cal really promote their players and want them to continue their education and football at the next level and as Cal does that is very important as well as winning at their current level. The Douglass coaches also take an interest and spend extra time watching and helping the cities middle schools as much or more than any other city school just ask the middle school coaches.

Now to the numbers, yes first and foremost they do not yet currently finishing up their 5th season since their inception. The coaches and administration will be their first to tell you they are disappointed in that they don't have at least 1 or as many as 3 titles so far and I am sure they are working to try to get one this year. 

So here are the numbers:

2017- 10-3 They lost their first ever game 36-0 at Danville (still their worst loss in program history)who went on to finish 15-0 and win the 2A State Championship. The other two losses was to Scott County who lost in the 6A state semifinals by 7 to St. X.

2018-11-1 This years team was undefeated in the regular season their only loss was to was by 1 point to Scott County (who they had beaten by 18 in the regular season) Scott County went on to lose in the 6A State Championship game vs. Male. They beat a good Paintsville team by 50 and beat 6A Conner 20-0 who lost in the 6A quarterfinals in double OT.

2019- 14-1 This was the best season to date for the young Bronco program. They lost by 1 score (14-7) to a great Covington Cath. other than the 1 point win for Catholic over Lexington Cath. this was their 2nd closest game that year. This Douglass team only allowed two teams to score on them the entire regular season on of those was the above mentiond Lex. Catholic lead by Beau Allen who Doulglass actually beat by 11 points and also put a rare running clock and shut out Scott County 36-0.

2020-7-2 Last the Douglass teams two losses was by a combined 3 points. A two point loss to a very good 6A North Hardin team who only lost one game in the 6A state quarterfinals against St. X. Their other loss was 1 point loss on the road at Owensboro who was the 5A runner-up. The also last year beat Lexington Christian Academy with a running clock 40-6 and their score was the last play of the game. This LCA team went on to lose in the 2A state championship game by 1 point in OT to Beechwood.

2021-9-1 This years team did get a thumping last night and as I have said several times on here already and got outplayed (especially in the first half) in all aspects of the game. This 27 point loss is the worst home loss in the Broncos short history and their 4th worst in program history. Unfortunately, for Boyle Co. Danville currently is the program with the largest margin of victory over the Broncos. So going into this years playoff Douglass even with the 34 points allowed last night they have still outscored their opponents 320-74 and that;s with two Covid 1-0 scores.

So to finally conclude this post (lol) while still playing in only their 5th season the Broncos are currently 54-8. Now besides those 3 lop sided losses in their first season their other 5 losses all-time have only been by a combined total of 11 points. Yes, Douglass should have at least 1 state title or maybe more and trust me the coaches , administration, and players would be the first to agree to that. However, they are also very proud of what they have been able to accomplish and both them and I will continue to promote the success their program and especially their players have accomplished by playing at the next level and as it is to Coach Cal and Kentucky that is just as important as well.

As to the rest of the season with the playoffs starting this Thursday for Douglass I can already tell you how it will play out as I have stated above. If the Broncos turn it on and would go on and beat some very good teams and win the state the same people that come on here and are quick to criticize (when they lose) will say the following "Well they should have won they have the most talent", but if they lose after the first two rounds it will be to a very good team it will be "they just can't win the big game". The team with the most talent does not always win just ask the 2010 and 2015 Kentucky Basketball teams.

For those of you that have took 5 to 10 minutes to read my post. I know the people who are fans of Douglass and like what they are doing and doing for their kids I hope will appreciate it. Those who do not like or are really jealous of what the young Broncos program have done will not change and just say I am a Douglass homer. I am sure through if they are honest with themselves a lot of people would like to have their team at 54-8 after only less than 5 years. Best of luck to all teams and I hope your team has a great post season. They are several state title games I am looking forward to seeing: Beechwood/LCA, Boyle/Johnson Cent., Male/St. X or Trinity, and I hope Douglass vs? Good evening.

• Like 4

Let things play out, season is still going. If we don't succeed in the playoffs, none of our players will have their commitments rescinded, and the college recruiters will continue to visit campus. 

I get it, in Kentucky you have to win state championships to say "hey our athletes are being recruited by colleges". Lol 

4. No recruiting comments or allegations of KHSAA rules violations by any school, coach, player or booster are allowed. No comments about where any player lives, has lived, or where they are from in a recruiting context. This is not the place to report KHSAA violations. Feel free to contact Kentucky High School Athletic Association | KHSAA – Student-athletes of Today, Leaders of Tomorrow to report such violations, but do not discuss violations here.

10. No gambling, bookmaking or point spread comments are allowed in any of the high school forums. Figures of speech that use gambling terms may not be used in any of the high school forums. All gambling comments are permitted in the non-high school forums as long as they do not involve any high school sports, students, or student-athletes.

12. No complaining about the web site, its members, or its management on the forums or in public. If you have a complaint (or if you have any constructive criticism) you need to send an email to theguru@fuse.net and I will get back with you as soon as possible to address the issue. When a moderator warns of possible rule violation or makes a request in a thread, do not ignore the warning/request and do not argue. Ignoring a violation warning, ignoring a moderator request or arguing with a moderator over their enforcement of forum rules may result in your suspension.

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.