Should college athletes that get paid forgo their scholarships?

theguru

2 minutes ago, Irish Cat said:

I would like to see some kids give up their scholarships so that those monies could be given to a walk-on instead.  For example the QB at Ohio St. or Alabama will earn more than enough to pay their tuition plus profit substantially.  

I agree.

On 7/26/2021 at 2:26 PM, Irish Cat said:

I would like to see some kids give up their scholarships so that those monies could be given to a walk-on instead.  For example the QB at Ohio St. or Alabama will earn more than enough to pay their tuition plus profit substantially.  

49,000 per year out of state for OSU, but yes if the kid is good enough he can cover that at the initial offerings we’re hearing for kids.

On 7/1/2021 at 4:07 PM, futurecoach said:

If the actual school was paying them to play, then possibly. However, players won’t be getting paid from the schools to play, so no they shouldn’t have to give up their scholarship. Players will be getting paid for their own image and likeness from outside of school. Which is no different than if a person is on an academic scholarship. People wouldn’t ask students to give back their academic scholarship if they were able to make money on themselves on the side. So this is legit no different than a student on an academic scholarship making money on their own. 

This. The schools are not paying this money. Endorsement deals are like off-campus non-school related jobs. Just like any kid with an academic scholarship can get.

Also, keep in mind the vast majority of players will NOT get endorsement deals of any significance or any endorsement money at all. Should the players who have earned their endorsement deals aid those players as well? While it would be a noble thing to do, I don't see that happening. This whole thing may not turn out to be as utopian as it is being betrayed.