Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should college athletes that get paid forgo their scholarships?

Featured Replies

  • Author
Just now, TheDeuce said:

Tough spot to be in as a walk on, but that's a choice they have to make. Walk on or have a job making money.

Pretty much makes them a throw away but it is what it is and they have a choice. 

  • Replies 32
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, futurecoach said:

 

If the actual school was paying them to play, then possibly. However, players won’t be getting paid from the schools to play, so no they shouldn’t have to give up their scholarship. Players will be getting paid for their own image and likeness from outside of school. Which is no different than if a person is on an academic scholarship. People wouldn’t ask students to give back their academic scholarship if they were able to make money on themselves on the side. So this is legit no different than a student on an academic scholarship making money on their own. 

Agreed.  The comment that generated this thread was a skewed perspective in my opinion.  Might as well not give out scholarship to students from wealthy or well off families, since they don't need it.  ?‍♂️

The student athlete jumps through a lot of hoops to obtain their scholarship.  The money they earn from their likeness while a student athlete, is an opportunity that is earned based off their talents and likeness, sorry but that's capitalism and in my opinion the way it should be. 

3 hours ago, theguru said:

They could use a little help and they get none while others are "double dipping" between their scholarships and their likeness money.

If you're a walk on at most power 5 programs, it's because you want to be a part of the program.  Whether that's for the experience as an athlete, aspirations of coaching later, etc.  Whatever those reasons are, the coaches and universities usually reward walk ons that rise above that role as end of the bench/practice team player.  Walk ons can and do earn scholarships,  when and if they do, they also likely increase their ability to earn money from their name and likeness.  

If they choose to forego, good for them.  If they choose to keep it, good for them. 

The point is, it's up to the athlete who worked tirelessly in an area where good money can be made.

Is there an even bigger advantage to the big name schools now in recruiting? If I am a top recruit, will I make more in NIL at UK or Florida?

  • Author
1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Is there an even bigger advantage to the big name schools now in recruiting? If I am a top recruit, will I make more in NIL at UK or Florida?

One could argue that the corporations offering endorsements and the recruits will have a large say in what schools are most successful but generally speaking I agree with you for now VoR.

My immediate though was “of course they should.”   After reading this thread though, I was swayed.  They earned it, they should have it.

My sister is a teacher in a poor school district.  She said that people celebrate when a poor kid gets an athletic scholarship, but many of those kids don’t make it.  It’s one thing to get a full ride.  Free housing, tuition, and food are great.  It’s another to buy clothes, and other incidentals that scholarships don’t cover.  Also, academically many start way behind and struggle there too.

Do the kids on academic scholarships have to pay back their tuition if they find an additional source of revenue?

The more I think about this, the more I think it becomes a non issue. No, kids should not forgo their scholarships. Despite the post above about the player from Tennessee St., I believe the money players are going to make under this new rule is going to be shockingly underwhelming. I may be proven wrong, but I believe the number of athletes that pocket more than $10,000 in their college career is going to be very small. 

I also believe as this evolves we will see more and more colleges partnering with their athletes and their representatives to leverage the money for them.

4 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

The more I think about this, the more I think it becomes a non issue. No, kids should not forgo their scholarships. Despite the post above about the player from Tennessee St., I believe the money players are going to make under this new rule is going to be shockingly underwhelming. I may be proven wrong, but I believe the number of athletes that pocket more than $10,000 in their college career is going to be very small. 

I also believe as this evolves we will see more and more colleges partnering with their athletes and their representatives to leverage the money for them.

Agreed.

The new rules don’t affect everyone proportionally.

This honestly moves the needle more for college basketball than anyone else.

A Fab Five type group can make a decent amount of money….as a group.

The center for Alabama, Clemson or OSU isn’t going to bring in nearly as much as the QB. 

To the original question...the answer is no.  The whole reason we are here is because the athletes have long been subject to different rules than any other student on a scholarship.  That's finally changing.  If TikTok wants to pay a girl for having 600,000 followers, why in the heck does it matter how her schooling is being paid for?  We've never come back and said "Hey, college kid...you schlep pizzas 20 hours a week during the school year...you need to pay back part of the academic scholarship you're on!" have we?  Didn't think so.

 

Athletic scholarships are not tied to a kid/family's income level. It is tied to their athletic abilities. It's not that complicated.

No, the schools still make a fortune off them and a lot of kids couldn’t even cover tuition cost with their likeness pay.

I would like to see some kids give up their scholarships so that those monies could be given to a walk-on instead.  For example the QB at Ohio St. or Alabama will earn more than enough to pay their tuition plus profit substantially.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.