Should college athletes that get paid forgo their scholarships?

theguru

3 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Absolutely not. 

If universities want to forfeit all the money that the athletes generate for the schools to the athletes, then sure. 

I hear a lot of talk about equity these days, is it equitable if someone is getting a free ride and getting paid when others get nothing?

Just now, theguru said:

I hear a lot of talk about equity these days, is it equitable if someone is getting a free ride and getting paid when others get nothing?

Equity is not equality. 

What are the people who are getting nothing providing to the institutions?

Just now, TheDeuce said:

Equity is not equality. 

What are the people who are getting nothing providing to the institutions?

I am not the expert but I thought equity was about equal outcomes but again I really don't understand it all. 

And to answer your question, nothing, dead weight. 

Just now, theguru said:

I am not the expert but I thought equity was about equal outcomes but again I really don't understand it all. 

And to answer your question, nothing, dead weight. 

Maybe equity vs. equality isn't the way to look at it. 

Athletes earned their scholarships through skills or talents. Their institutions benefit from those skills and talents by gaining revenue from said athletes. Those athletes also should also be able to earn money on their own from those skills. 

The average student does none of that. The average student could always have a job and make their own money while athletes couldn't. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

Athletes earned their scholarships through skills or talents. Their institutions benefit from those skills and talents by gaining revenue from said athletes. Those athletes also should also be able to earn money on their own from those skills. 

The average student does none of that. The average student could always have a job and make their own money while athletes couldn't. 

We agree Deuce and I think this line of thinking applies to a lot more than college athletics. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

This is well stated. Anyone else on scholarship can earn, but if you play sports you can't? I think long into the future we will look back as a society on this notion and laugh at how silly it is. There is a reason in America it is commonplace, but athletic scholarships and the system of amateurism we've created is practically non-existent.

• Like 4

I have been thinking about this a little more.  What about the walk on players that make a given roster?  They definitely contribute and I assume they can't work either but I don't know the rules.

5 hours ago, theguru said:

Asking for a friend.

If the actual school was paying them to play, then possibly. However, players won’t be getting paid from the schools to play, so no they shouldn’t have to give up their scholarship. Players will be getting paid for their own image and likeness from outside of school. Which is no different than if a person is on an academic scholarship. People wouldn’t ask students to give back their academic scholarship if they were able to make money on themselves on the side. So this is legit no different than a student on an academic scholarship making money on their own. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I have been thinking about this a little more.  What about the walk on players that make a given roster?  They definitely contribute and I assume they can't work either but I don't know the rules.

Walk on players I’m sure are allowed to make money off their own name, likeness, image too. 

Just now, futurecoach said:

Walk on players I’m sure are allowed to make money off their own name, likeness, image too. 

I don't doubt that but one they are paying to go to school/play and two I would have to think they would be last in the pecking order to get paid for their name, likeness, image, etc.

1 hour ago, theguru said:

What's your question about walk-ons?

Just now, theguru said:

They could use a little help and they get none while others are "double dipping" between their scholarships and their likeness money.

Tough spot to be in as a walk on, but that's a choice they have to make. Walk on or have a job making money.