"Consolation"

I get so tired of the use of this word w/re to the various holiday tournaments going on. It's called the "loser's bracket." The team lost to get there. They didn't "console" to get there.

Please stop treating kids like fragile little eggs. They can take it. I swear that if your kid's team loses in a tournament, he won't think of himself as a loser in life.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could just say losers bracket and take away the possessive and make it an adjective.

I think losers' bracket works OK because it's for all the losers of the tournament, who you could argue possess the bracket because it's for them.

Loser's bracket would mean it's for only one loser, instead of several, which couldn't be correct.

Maybe that's why someone invented the consolation bracket.

I get so tired of the use of this word w/re to the various holiday tournaments going on. It's called the "loser's bracket." The team lost to get there. They didn't "console" to get there.

Please stop treating kids like fragile little eggs. They can take it. I swear that if your kid's team loses in a tournament, he won't think of himself as a loser in life.

Makes me think of Kys dist championships. Lose and go to the regional. Are there any other states where a team loses in end of the year playoffs and moves on? Has to be the most screwed up system out there. Oh yeah its Ky. Blind draws, losers move on, no classification, and so on.

Makes me think of Kys dist championships. Lose and go to the regional. Are there any other states where a team loses in end of the year playoffs and moves on? Has to be the most screwed up system out there. Oh yeah its Ky. Blind draws, losers move on, no classification, and so on.

Probably no HS's but a little thing called NCAA March Madness. Lose your conference tournament or not win your conference season and it is irrelevant as you still get invited to the big dance.

It would be interesting to see how many national champions DID NOT win their conference season or tournament.

Probably no HS's but a little thing called NCAA March Madness. Lose your conference tournament or not win your conference season and it is irrelevant as you still get invited to the big dance.

It would be interesting to see how many national champions DID NOT win their conference season or tournament.

So you are comparing the NCAA to the KHSAA? Give me a break. BTW that March madness thing you speak of is seeded. Instead of putting on a blind fold and drawing names out of a hat. Might as well take 16 darts and throw them over your shoulder. Honestly do you think Kys playoff system is good.

So you are comparing the NCAA to the KHSAA? Give me a break. BTW that March madness thing you speak of is seeded. Instead of putting on a blind fold and drawing names out of a hat. Might as well take 16 darts and throw them over your shoulder. Honestly do you think Kys playoff system is good.

Comparing the setup of the tournament that allows losers of the regular season of conference tournament in.

I like the KY playoff system.

If you want to seed, what method are you going to use to seed? A system that rewards Louisville and Lexington because simply they are in Louisville and Lexington? Record when no way that can be equitable. Plus, if you are going to seed, than you are not going to know till Sunday, who you might potentially play, which game/time you are playing, etc.

If you have never been in the process, tickets, hotel rooms all of that information is worked on for many, many hours on Sunday to get everything done. Now you have to wait on seeding to know which session you are going to sell tickets to your fans.

The system works fine as is.

The high school basketball should do away with post season tournaments and adopt the college football BCS system. We can take the best team in the state and let them play the 3rd or 4th best team in the state for the State championship. I think that is the most screwed up system out there.

I think the losers bracket is associated with double elimination tournaments. When a team can lose a game throughout the tournament, come out of the losers bracket and still have a chance to win the tournament.

Consolation Bracket means you still get to play but you can't win the tournament.