"Consolation"

Comparing the setup of the tournament that allows losers of the regular season of conference tournament in.

I like the KY playoff system.

If you want to seed, what method are you going to use to seed? A system that rewards Louisville and Lexington because simply they are in Louisville and Lexington? Record when no way that can be equitable. Plus, if you are going to seed, than you are not going to know till Sunday, who you might potentially play, which game/time you are playing, etc.

If you have never been in the process, tickets, hotel rooms all of that information is worked on for many, many hours on Sunday to get everything done. Now you have to wait on seeding to know which session you are going to sell tickets to your fans.

The system works fine as is.

Tell the fans at Holy Cross, Cov Cath, or Holmes how good the system is. One of those top rated teams have no chance at making the Regional! To answer that this is the way we have always done it is archaic. How about taking a look at how other state run their championship playoffs. Obviously seeding can be done. Just about every state does it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell the fans at Holy Cross, Cov Cath, or Holmes how good the system is. One of those top rated teams have no chance at making the Regional! To answer that this is the way we have always done it is archaic. How about taking a look at how other state run their championship playoffs. Obviously seeding can be done. Just about every state does it.

So how would seeding at districts change what you have put above.

And to use the often stated point made by private school supporters. Would you feel better if all of the students at Holy Cross, Cov Cath and Holmes received participation ribbons.:D

I have no problem with it. One year our girls district consistent of the #2, #3 and #5 ranked team in the region. One of the best teams in the region did not make it there. We had a chance to win the game to advance and we didn't.

Show me a seeding setup from another state please because I am unfamiliar with them.

I have been involved in the process in completing paperwork and selling tickets on Sunday and I know it is a nuthouse situation and delaying it could lead to even more issues with hotels, ticket sales, etc, etc.

These things don't turn over easily and quickly and by themselves.

So how would seeding at districts change what you have put above.

And to use the often stated point made by private school supporters. Would you feel better if all of the students at Holy Cross, Cov Cath and Holmes received participation ribbons.:D

I have no problem with it. One year our girls district consistent of the #2, #3 and #5 ranked team in the region. One of the best teams in the region did not make it there. We had a chance to win the game to advance and we didn't.

We live in an ever changing world. Change is good. Those who do not embrace change and constantly looking for a better way are left behind. You will eventually see this even in the good ole commonwealth. This attitude of keeping things as is no matter how flawed is defeatist and not acceptable.

We live in an ever changing world. Change is good. Those who do not embrace change and constantly looking for a better way are left behind. You will eventually see this even in the good ole commonwealth. This attitude of keeping things as is no matter how flawed is defeatist and not acceptable.

And change for the sake of change is not good either.

If there is a better system that is feasible and would work, I could support it. I just don't know what the system is.

I would be for a open enrollment/private school vs. closed enrollment split to produce two state tournaments.:D

Wow, this is what's on the minds of basketball fans? How about the "sorry you stunk it up earlier in this tournament" bracket? Or, "at least you have a decent football program" bracket?

:D :thumb: Thanks, Spindoc. I was just getting up to get toothpicks for my eyes when I mustered the strength to hit the scroll button one more time.

I think the losers bracket is associated with double elimination tournaments. When a team can lose a game throughout the tournament, come out of the losers bracket and still have a chance to win the tournament.

Consolation Bracket means you still get to play but you can't win the tournament.

Pretty logical explanation and one that I believe could be the answer to our consolation vs loser debate.

You've "won" me over hector:thumb:

Pretty logical explanation and one that I believe could be the answer to our consolation vs loser debate.

You've "won" me over hector:thumb:

I don't buy it. I never heard "consolation" used until about 3-4 years ago. It's part of the political correctness trend.