Predict Highlands 2021 Record

12 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Because beating Cov Cath is such a ridiculous thought. Ha. Come on man. The talent is probably about even going into this year. Y’all had D1 freaks for some years there, those guys make your average players seem like studs (because of double teams and such).  You could see that some last year but this year you don’t have the QB with 3 years of experience.

Also Eddie has never coached against Sphire at Highlands. Rivalry game. The lowly highlands fans request permission to cheer for the birds vs colonels. Please oh please is it ok?

It’s also a nothing to lose game for Highlands. New coach, haven’t beat them in a while. We know we’re not supposed to win. I just think the talent gap is gone and the birds win. 

@El Diablo going strong to the hoop!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, theguru said:

@El Diablo going strong to the hoop!

Ha, I’m not trying to say Cov Cath is going to be terrible at all. Cov Cath is the example of how to run a program that size in Ky right now. I just think this year it will be a fun close game that could go either way. Cov Cath has been “Highlandsing” us for the past 7 years, it’s time for us to have our mud bowl ha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't seriously make a prediction at this point. However, from what I hear from the players  things are changing quickly. Coach Sphire's daily messages are loud and clear. One thing I will predict is, the HHS team that takes the field in August will be drastically different from what we've been seeing. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Because beating Cov Cath is such a ridiculous thought. Ha. Come on man. The talent is probably about even going into this year. Y’all had D1 freaks for some years there, those guys make your average players seem like studs (because of double teams and such).  You could see that some last year but this year you don’t have the QB with 3 years of experience.

Also Eddie has never coached against Sphire at Highlands. Rivalry game. The lowly highlands fans request permission to cheer for the birds vs colonels. Please oh please is it ok?

It’s also a nothing to lose game for Highlands. New coach, haven’t beat them in a while. We know we’re not supposed to win. I just think the talent gap is gone and the birds win. 

Look, I think HHS will be better next season, I hope they are better, just my opinion that jumping to 9-1 next year seems unrealistic, but have at it!. Just not sure where this idea that there is no longer any talent gap came from..... what would lead someone to believe that? HHS 5-6 record last year? The 42-0 loss at CCH last Oct? The 17 point playoff loss to CCH? The blowout loss to Cooper last season? I'm sure the talent level will even out at some point, but to say it's already happened is nuts. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BlueKernels said:

Look, I think HHS will be better next season, I hope they are better, just my opinion that jumping to 9-1 next year seems unrealistic, but have at it!. Just not sure where this idea that there is no longer any talent gap came from..... what would lead someone to believe that? HHS 5-6 record last year? The 42-0 loss at CCH last Oct? The 17 point playoff loss to CCH? The blowout loss to Cooper last season? I'm sure the talent level will even out at some point, but to say it's already happened is nuts. 

That class lost Hergott and Buten for starters and Vinson opted for basketball only (certainly understand that). Compound that with COVID.  A lot of kids in junior and sophomore class played.  CCH had a 3 year varsity starting QB.   

HHS played and won JV game.  Trust me the talent is close.  I hope it happens next year it may not but if you think CCH is light years ahead you are going to be sadly mistaken.

5 minutes ago, Bird Bath said:

That class lost Hergott and Buten for starters and Vinson opted for basketball only (certainly understand that). Compound that with COVID.  A lot of kids in junior and sophomore class played.  CCH had a 3 year varsity starting QB.   

HHS played and won JV game.  Trust me the talent is close.  I hope it happens next year it may not but if you think CCH is light years ahead you are going to be sadly mistaken.

So I understand your basing CCH lack of Talent on QB leaving and a JV win by a late score? Listen , put me down for praying that HHS gets back to old form. I want them to dominate!! I want 10,000 people at those CCH /HHS games BUT for all You recruiting experts CCH has talent and I can’t wait for that game. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sportsguy10 said:

So I understand your basing CCH lack of Talent on QB leaving and a JV win by a late score? Listen , put me down for praying that HHS gets back to old form. I want them to dominate!! I want 10,000 people at those CCH /HHS games BUT for all You recruiting experts CCH has talent and I can’t wait for that game. 

CCH has talent for sure!  Eddie has done a fantastic job with that program but MM is not there and last years HHS Senior class was not strong and everybody knows it.  What I am saying is the programs are going to be much closer in results.  It may not happen next year but I am certain it will be much better product on the field.  

I am saying the Birds will return to the nest and take pride and ownership in the program

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bird Bath said:

I am not much on predictions.  Walk the talk.  What I see is kids setting alarms at 5:30 getting up the school for early morning sessions and afternoon sessions running late.  I am a little upset with a few missing time, missing opportunity.  I will say this Oklahoma was said and Son came home with a twinkle in his eye.  For those underclass parents keep spouting about the young guns and wait to spring pads.  I know a few can’t wait to reset those expectations.  

No defense work yet but TE and h-back sets and drag routes oh my!  I will say a very good week!  Coach Sphire questions about the weight program dead accurate and needs to be addressed.

I think utilizing TEs and FBs/HBs is extremely valuable and creates matchup problems for the defense. I also hope to see some more under center sets; there is so much you can do out of those to create mismatches when you might not necessarily have the better athletes but can schemes to still win. Who do you see being option at TE? Going through the roster, I see a lot of younger guys who could play there. Halpin might be a guy who could play there. 

I understand basing the Bird faithful's frustration on not beating Cov Cath for a while. I think the real reason for so much unhappiness has been losses to Conner, Cooper, Ryle, SK....teams that their fanbase always viewed as automatic wins. If the fans, PARENTS, and players buy in and do what the new coaching staff asks they'll do fine. Every year a state championship gets harder to win as the balance around the state has improved. Good luck!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

I think utilizing TEs and FBs/HBs is extremely valuable and creates matchup problems for the defense. I also hope to see some more under center sets; there is so much you can do out of those to create mismatches when you might not necessarily have the better athletes but can schemes to still win. Who do you see being option at TE? Going through the roster, I see a lot of younger guys who could play there. Halpin might be a guy who could play there. 

LaFrange and Halpin are big kids.  Neither have breakaway speed but great hands and will move the chains.  6’2 or 6’3.  I see them both run over small corners.  Both worked hard in the offseason with Siple.  

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Someone mentioned the Benke kid at TE. I understand he is tall and has great hands and athletic. If Noon is QB, will we continue to see quality talented kids stand on sidelines because they are a back up to a position or get on the field? I'm guessing Coach Sphire will have all kids that can contribute immediately playing. Maybe Benke gets the QB position and Noon becomes a play maker somewhere. Who knows. A lot to sort out for new coach.

• Like 1

Benke is another big kid who might provide options.  Again both Noon and Benke played basketball and better be front and center when the season ends.   The current SK QB said during routes man I wish I had the Birds skill talent around me. Again I am on repeat need Spring ball and have a Qb know reads and have a grasp of an air offense.  Noon is the athlete and can run needs to develop in passing game.  Benke wasn’t JV ready last year.  I see the potential but has to be a leader and he needs a lot growth in leadership.  He certainly passes the look test!!

21 hours ago, Bird Bath said:

CCH has talent for sure!  Eddie has done a fantastic job with that program but MM is not there and last years HHS Senior class was not strong and everybody knows it.  What I am saying is the programs are going to be much closer in results.  It may not happen next year but I am certain it will be much better product on the field.  

I am saying the Birds will return to the nest and take pride and ownership in the program

Dude, how can you say that Senior class was not strong? They beat your team a 40-0! Then again in the playoffs! Here’s some advice worry about getting better. Don’t talk about CCH. Worry about beating Conner. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1