TheDeuce

Predict Highlands 2021 Record

2 minutes ago, Sportsguy10 said:

Dude, how can you say that Senior class was not strong? They beat your team a 40-0! Then again in the playoffs! Here’s some advice worry about getting better. Don’t talk about CCH. Worry about beating Conner. 

Hey take another look at the post!  I wasn’t talking about your Seniors; however just can’t wait for the coming years!  Folks like you are going to make it fun!

9 and 1 is possible and I trust Coach Sphire will have Highlands ready to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back to Benke I do think the best will rise to the top.  He certainly has the size and body to be relevant.  I know this, a group is already working hard on the playbook.  With Sphire program you miss a day you miss a week.  A few are gifted enough to catch up and has the skill set.  Exciting times!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bird Bath said:

Benke is another big kid who might provide options.  Again both Noon and Benke played basketball and better be front and center when the season ends.   The current SK QB said during routes man I wish I had the Birds skill talent around me. Again I am on repeat need Spring ball and have a Qb know reads and have a grasp of an air offense.  Noon is the athlete and can run needs to develop in passing game.  Benke wasn’t JV ready last year.  I see the potential but has to be a leader and he needs a lot growth in leadership.  He certainly passes the look test!!

I do not think it is fair to say that any player was/is not JV ready; JV football, especially in NKY is a total crapshoot on a week to week basis based on who is playing and who isn't playing; this has especially been true at HHS when they have had RBs having to play OL and a lot of guys out of position just to field the team in the last couple of years. In my opinion, and I would love to hear what @ChiefSmoke thinks about this topic, I think freshman football is a far better indication than JV football because you have players consistently working with the same guys and team like you would on the varsity level. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I do not think it is fair to say that any player was/is not JV ready; JV football, especially in NKY is a total crapshoot on a week to week basis based on who is playing and who isn't playing; this has especially been true at HHS when they have had RBs having to play OL and a lot of guys out of position just to field the team in the last couple of years. In my opinion, and I would love to hear what @ChiefSmoke thinks about this topic, I think freshman football is a far better indication than JV football because you have players consistently working with the same guys and team like you would on the varsity level. 

QB position is different.  You are not going to lead the kids if you come off the field and shrug shoulders.  I don’t blame the kid he never even practiced with the older boys but the end of the day they had to turn to Surrey just to move the ball.  Defense was light years ahead of the offense in JV.  If you watched a game you knew that.  The offense needs to move the chains not go 3 and out and have the defense on the field most of the game.  I just want to see improvement.  I agree JV played the entire season without a true RB last year.   So you can’t judge JV ball but you can see kids that will be your players moving forward.  Coach Sphire will assess this as well.

11 minutes ago, Bird Bath said:

Back to Benke I do think the best will rise to the top.  He certainly has the size and body to be relevant.  I know this, a group is already working hard on the playbook.  With Sphire program you miss a day you miss a week.  A few are gifted enough to catch up and has the skill set.  Exciting times!

I think this is going to be the fun 2 year long debate (maybe not).....I think Noon is a "playmaker" that will make defenses stay on their toes with RPO type of offense play calling.  In my watching the games last year I would put a lot of ownership of guilt on his passing numbers on the receivers.  I saw WAY TO MANY dropped balls hitting hands.  What's the old cliche, you touch it, you catch it!  A lot of balls that were touched were dropped.  Obviously, a lot of that comes with the receiver core being young and probably not experienced in Varsity level speed yet.....will be fun to watch having a year under all these kids under their belt.

Benke is going to be good, and Sphire will find a way to get him on the field.  I loved the pic on social media of him catching what I think was a 2pt conversion in the end zone.  The ball was tossed up in the air and he had a good foot and a half size advantage on his stretched up arms.  

Also, a little tidbit is I think Benke LOVES baseball so that puts him again 3 months behind tossing a football with anyone on the team.  Does Noon play baseball?

So with all that said, I think this is obviously Noon's team this fall.....but is awesome to have 2 up and coming stars that can sling the ball.....would rather have this issue than not.

GO BIRDS!!!

• Like 2

I a

15 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I think this is going to be the fun 2 year long debate (maybe not).....I think Noon is a "playmaker" that will make defenses stay on their toes with RPO type of offense play calling.  In my watching the games last year I would put a lot of ownership of guilt on his passing numbers on the receivers.  I saw WAY TO MANY dropped balls hitting hands.  What's the old cliche, you touch it, you catch it!  A lot of balls that were touched were dropped.  Obviously, a lot of that comes with the receiver core being young and probably not experienced in Varsity level speed yet.....will be fun to watch having a year under all these kids under their belt.

Benke is going to be good, and Sphire will find a way to get him on the field.  I loved the pic on social media of him catching what I think was a 2pt conversion in the end zone.  The ball was tossed up in the air and he had a good foot and a half size advantage on his stretched up arms.  

Also, a little tidbit is I think Benke LOVES baseball so that puts him again 3 months behind tossing a football with anyone on the team.  Does Noon play baseball?

So with all that said, I think this is obviously Noon's team this fall.....but is awesome to have 2 up and coming stars that can sling the ball.....would rather have this issue than not.

GO BIRDS!!!

Noon doesn’t play baseball I think.  I agree100% that receivers dropped way too many balls.  I think that is why you are seeing a few jumping at the opportunity to play both ways.  The good a few of those same receivers are working hard. I expect that the wide receiver/TE position will be some great competition!  I think Noon will win the QB position and lead.  I just want him to think pass some.  I think quick slants and screens should help.  I am concerned about RB.  Richter has to stay away from injury and you have Hosea who shows plenty of promise.  Anybody else?

This thread is getting me excited about Highlands football again. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bird Bath said:

I a

Noon doesn’t play baseball I think.  I agree100% that receivers dropped way too many balls.  I think that is why you are seeing a few jumping at the opportunity to play both ways.  The good a few of those same receivers are working hard. I expect that the wide receiver/TE position will be some great competition!  I think Noon will win that position and lead.  I just want him to think pass some.  I think quick slants and screens should help.  I am concerned about RB.  Richter has to stay away from injury and you have Hosea who shows plenty of promise.  Anybody else?

I agree, the jury is still out on Hosea, he was just off the field I guess with injuries last year to understand what we have with him.  If healthy I think he could provide the "thunder" if not what would be an interesting (but I realize a longshot) but like a Sam Robinson back there.  We need a bruiser type back to go a long with lightning Richter.  

I agree with you though that we will hear/see probably a good amount of reshuffling of talent on where they were this past year and where they end up being this fall.  So hard to speculate until we hear from the insiders on what is going on in practices with people changing positions....

I agree @theguru I can't wait....these next 6 months are going to be so much fun to hear how things are going/changing!

Hotel is booked for the Rafferty Bowl!!!  168 DAYS TO GO!

GO BIRDS!!!!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I agree @theguru I can't wait....these next 6 months are going to be so much fun to hear how things are going/changing!

Yes, what @FrankNicodemus said!

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

I agree. JV just shows how much depth you have. Freshman better indicator.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, theguru said:

This thread is getting me excited about Highlands football again. 

I'm going to go out on a stout limb and say any discussion of moving to 4A in the next cycle is now a moot point.

5 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

I'm going to go out on a stout limb and say any discussion of moving to 4A in the next cycle is now a moot point.

Not so fast.....we in Bird Nation are still in the "Honeymoon phase" enjoying every day right now.....let's play some football and we will cross that bridge when those discussions need to be considered.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

11 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Not so fast.....we in Bird Nation are still in the "Honeymoon phase" enjoying every day right now.....let's play some football and we will cross that bridge when those discussions need to be considered.

Ambivalence...

1 hour ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I agree, the jury is still out on Hosea, he was just off the field I guess with injuries last year to understand what we have with him.  If healthy I think he could provide the "thunder" if not what would be an interesting (but I realize a longshot) but like a Sam Robinson back there.  We need a bruiser type back to go a long with lightning Richter.  

I agree with you though that we will hear/see probably a good amount of reshuffling of talent on where they were this past year and where they end up being this fall.  So hard to speculate until we hear from the insiders on what is going on in practices with people changing positions....

Hotel is booked for the Rafferty Bowl!!!  168 DAYS TO GO!

GO BIRDS!!!!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dalton Roller get some carries as well. I think HHS is in a rotation type situation at RB. No clear cut number number right now IMO. If healthy, I think Hosea is your number one but he just cannot seem to stay healthy; I hope that changes! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1