Anderson,OH 50 Highlands 44

Rollins, which is a college somewhere in Florida. The Coach in a Cincy native and gets a lot of players from around here.

FWIW I think that's where a few of the Wolf's from St X played...good basketball school at that level

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...One final point, the 1981 and 1982 regional champ teams contained at least 5 football players on each team.

The big difference between then and now, however, is that it used to the best athletes who also played football. In other words, those kids were at the armory in the summer in addition to a little lifting; no spring football etc. you can build basketball around footballers from the more skilled spots (ie receiver, backs, qb etc.) HHS seems to get the full time tight ends, linemen, etc while some less physical, more basketball looking kids seem to quit or sit...? Just a thought..

...One final point, the 1981 and 1982 regional champ teams contained at least 5 football players on each team.

The big difference between then and now, however, is that it used to the best athletes who also played football. In other words, those kids were at the armory in the summer in addition to a little lifting; no spring football etc. you can build basketball around footballers from the more skilled spots (ie receiver, backs, qb etc.) HHS seems to get the full time tight ends, linemen, etc while some less physical, more basketball looking kids seem to quit or sit...? Just a thought..

Highlands did not win the 9th region in 1981, Simon Kenton did and went on to win the State Championship.

You are dead on............

You are dead on............

Is this the basketball coaches problem or is it the fact that these football/basketball players are pressured into concentrating on football for fear that they will never see the field in football?

You are correct, it was 1982 and 1983 not 1981 and 1982.

83 obviously you know the 83 team. I was not paying much attention to high school sports back then. Can you list the main contributors. On the 82 team I am only coming up with Kremer as a footballer Simons and Terry didn't play football. If everyone thinks HHS can win a region with a high percentage of football players so be it. You played both sports. I have to think the kids put a little more into football now than in the era you played.

And I guess that the girls program is right. The problem is that football is pumped into these kids heads from grade school on. There has been no organized basketball league in Ft. Thomas since my Dad ran it for a number of years. For all of the bashers, I ask why you do not step up and get something organized. The reason is that it is easier to complain and bash rather than stepping forward. Also, where would you like for this league to play its game? I have made inquiries and been told that there is no guarantee that a gym would be available every weekend. Another problem is that you have people coaching youth teams that have no interest in teaching the game, rather they want to self promote their own kid. Also you have too many kids on the Middle School team that have no business playing either due to lack of ability and/or discipline. The basketball program is always going to be dependent on football players. Always has been and always will be. One final point, the 1981 and 1982 regional champ teams contained at least 5 football players on each team.

:confused: Whats the girls got to do with a Bball VS Football discusion. However If you want to go there , IMO the lLadybirds will win a regional before the boys:cool:

Are we talking about the same Coach Schlarman that took over a Bishop Brossart Program and turned them into a Regional Contender? That guy can flat out coach and build a program. The schools in the 10th region are glad that he is now at HHS and in the 9th! What is it that you all feel he is or isn't doing at the youth level that is preventing Highlands from being successful? Hasn't he only been there for 2 years???

Are we talking about the same Coach Schlarman that took over a Bishop Brossart Program and turned them into a Regional Contender? That guy can flat out coach and build a program. The schools in the 10th region are glad that he is now at HHS and in the 9th! What is it that you all feel he is or isn't doing at the youth level that is preventing Highlands from being successful? Hasn't he only been there for 2 years???

Willies success at Brossart and his ties to Ken Shields had HHS fans very excited about his arrival in Ft. Thomas. He is in his 3rd year and to be fair that is not very long. His 1st year he had no seniors, a perfect situation to begin the building of a program. No senior dead weight to deal with. At Brossart was a completely different situation, no football! There is no youth structure in Ft Thomas at all. I don't really understand why that hasn't been addressed by the current staff. I'm finished with this subject. We can banter back and forth till our fingers bleed, it changes nothing.:creepy:

And I guess that the girls program is right. The problem is that football is pumped into these kids heads from grade school on. There has been no organized basketball league in Ft. Thomas since my Dad ran it for a number of years. For all of the bashers, I ask why you do not step up and get something organized. The reason is that it is easier to complain and bash rather than stepping forward. Also, where would you like for this league to play its game? I have made inquiries and been told that there is no guarantee that a gym would be available every weekend. Another problem is that you have people coaching youth teams that have no interest in teaching the game, rather they want to self promote their own kid. Also you have too many kids on the Middle School team that have no business playing either due to lack of ability and/or discipline. The basketball program is always going to be dependent on football players. Always has been and always will be. One final point, the 1981 and 1982 regional champ teams contained at least 5 football players on each team.

83bird I agree there needs to be something organized but there has to be buy in from Willie and his staff from Varsity to Middle school. They need to be the ones who get the gym time whether it be up at the "Steam Room" aka Highlands gym or at the ARmory. There are enough boys interested in basketball in the 3 grades schools that it could be done. I would be willing to help as I have a stepson in Kindergarten who looks up to my older boy and wants to play hoops. He is on a YmCA team and I am not banking on that league to develop his skills.

Another Father and myself have taken it upon ourselves to organize a team of kids from my son's grade and we work with them as much as we can on man to man defense, shooting and ballhandling. We play in Spring leagues and stress man-man defense because we know that is what they will play when they get older. We coach them in the Summer leagues up at St.CAtherine and we are trying to develop more than just our sons, we are looking at about 12-14 kids in that specific grade. In fact, because our boys are on the Middle school team, we opted not to coach but helped organize the team and still stay involved because we are trying to get those other kids competetive basketball games. WE also try to learn who the kids are in the grades below and above and will often encourage our sons to call them up and go play pickup games at the ARmory. Our choice to coach was purely because we knew the boys wouldnt develop unless we stepped in and demanded more from them. The teams they played for prior were ridiculous and not competetive.

I don't have a problem with kids playing football and basketball, it builds toughness. I certainly don't think you need to clean house and find only basketball guys. But you cannot expect to win REgional championships with teams consisting mainly football guys.

AS far as the middle school teams....I wont disagree with you there but you have to get to these kids at some point and ask them....how much do you want to work on your game in the offseason and if you don't....then dont bother coming out and coaches should recognize this and not just keep kids for political reasons. The discipline issues also need to be addressed with particular kids. Those kids need basketball....Highlands Basketball doesnt need them !!! You get rid of those kids early and you set the tone.

PM me on thoughts for a feeder program because I have talked about this with other Parents who coach and they think it could work. However I do think that Willie needs to be the driving force behind logistics if he wants to see improvement in the basketball program.

83 obviously you know the 83 team. I was not paying much attention to high school sports back then. Can you list the main contributors. On the 82 team I am only coming up with Kremer as a footballer Simons and Terry didn't play football. If everyone thinks HHS can win a region with a high percentage of football players so be it. You played both sports. I have to think the kids put a little more into football now than in the era you played.

I think Maile played on that team??????

83bird I agree there needs to be something organized but there has to be buy in from Willie and his staff from Varsity to Middle school. They need to be the ones who get the gym time whether it be up at the "Steam Room" aka Highlands gym or at the ARmory. There are enough boys interested in basketball in the 3 grades schools that it could be done. I would be willing to help as I have a stepson in Kindergarten who looks up to my older boy and wants to play hoops. He is on a YmCA team and I am not banking on that league to develop his skills.

Another Father and myself have taken it upon ourselves to organize a team of kids from my son's grade and we work with them as much as we can on man to man defense, shooting and ballhandling. We play in Spring leagues and stress man-man defense because we know that is what they will play when they get older. We coach them in the Summer leagues up at St.CAtherine and we are trying to develop more than just our sons, we are looking at about 12-14 kids in that specific grade. In fact, because our boys are on the Middle school team, we opted not to coach but helped organize the team and still stay involved because we are trying to get those other kids competetive basketball games. WE also try to learn who the kids are in the grades below and above and will often encourage our sons to call them up and go play pickup games at the ARmory. Our choice to coach was purely because we knew the boys wouldnt develop unless we stepped in and demanded more from them. The teams they played for prior were ridiculous and not competetive.

I don't have a problem with kids playing football and basketball, it builds toughness. I certainly don't think you need to clean house and find only basketball guys. But you cannot expect to win REgional championships with teams consisting mainly football guys.

AS far as the middle school teams....I wont disagree with you there but you have to get to these kids at some point and ask them....how much do you want to work on your game in the offseason and if you don't....then dont bother coming out and coaches should recognize this and not just keep kids for political reasons. The discipline issues also need to be addressed with particular kids. Those kids need basketball....Highlands Basketball doesnt need them !!! You get rid of those kids early and you set the tone.

PM me on thoughts for a feeder program because I have talked about this with other Parents who coach and they think it could work. However I do think that Willie needs to be the driving force behind logistics if he wants to see improvement in the basketball program.

Why I don't you get the kids that have pretty good ability and play out at SOAS. My son is in 3rd. grade and he and a few of his friends play on an AAU team out there. Your not going to find any better competition in NKY or Cincinnati.. I highly recommend it...:thumb:

Willies success at Brossart and his ties to Ken Shields had HHS fans very excited about his arrival in Ft. Thomas. He is in his 3rd year and to be fair that is not very long. His 1st year he had no seniors, a perfect situation to begin the building of a program. No senior dead weight to deal with. At Brossart was a completely different situation, no football! There is no youth structure in Ft Thomas at all. I don't really understand why that hasn't been addressed by the current staff. I'm finished with this subject. We can banter back and forth till our fingers bleed, it changes nothing.:creepy:

I just joined the discussion, so I'm not sure where the "banter" comment came from. However, I read that you felt like the program was going in a bad direction, so I thought I'd probe to find out why? Didn't the coach that we are talking about win 20+ games last year (Which was improvement from the previous)? We are not even through the month of December and it sounds like you are writing off the season? I just get tired of hearing people make statements like "Program is not headed in a positive direction" on these threads without evidence to support their claims. I don't have a dog in this fight, but I do know you are talking about a coach with a winning reputation!