Anderson,OH 50 Highlands 44

Why I don't you get the kids that have pretty good ability and play out at SOAS. My son is in 3rd. grade and he and a few of his friends play on an AAU team out there. Your not going to find any better competition in NKY or Cincinnati.. I highly recommend it...:thumb:

We already do that. We played out there for 2 yrs and do in the spring. We also play in the Southwest OH league this winter. These leagues are for competetive basketball and doesnt address the average kids who need to develop. We need a youth league played on Saturday mornings in Ft. Thomas. It needs to be from 1st grade through 6th.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just joined the discussion, so I'm not sure where the "banter" comment came from. However, I read that you felt like the program was going in a bad direction, so I thought I'd probe to find out why? Didn't the coach that we are talking about win 20+ games last year (Which was improvement from the previous)? We are not even through the month of December and it sounds like you are writing off the season? I just get tired of hearing people make statements like "Program is not headed in a positive direction" on these threads without evidence to support their claims. I don't have a dog in this fight, but I do know you are talking about a coach with a winning reputation!

You have to really know what is in the program coming up and the lack of games being played by kids in grade school. The catholic schools play 40 games a winter in tournaments, league games, etc. These kids get games and the Ft. thomas boys don'th ave this ability. If you arent picked up on a grade school team by a coach who knows you... you can get left behind. This is why there needs to be a league so kids can sign up and play.

Willie had a good year with a good group of seniors. He didnt play anybody else but Simpson and Mcgraw and it is showing. He will be fine but I dont understand why he keeps so much fodder.

I think it is way to early to begin bashing the program. Willie is a first class act, IMO. He demands alot from his players and will persist on his style of play until the team responds. So, for all that are down on the program, lighten up a little, it is still very early in the Birds season. Remember too that Anderson is much bigger school than Highlands, I thought they hung pretty tough. If Simpson could have hit some shots, it's a whole new ball game.

I think it is way to early to begin bashing the program. Willie is a first class act, IMO. He demands alot from his players and will persist on his style of play until the team responds. So, for all that are down on the program, lighten up a little, it is still very early in the Birds season. Remember too that Anderson is much bigger school than Highlands, I thought they hung pretty tough. If Simpson could have hit some shots, it's a whole new ball game.

I agree.. and will emphasize that I am personally not bashing the program or Willie. I think he does a great job and I like his style of play. It isnt easy when you have to compete wiht football, I will just say that.

Nice post and I agree completely. Way too many arm chair coaches in this town. If we need a youth basketball league in town, get one started. Willie can provide some input, but that should be about it (similar to what Dale does with the Jr. Football League). Approach the city council about getting time at the armory. They used to have such a league years ago. Has it dissolved?

Nice post and I agree completely. Way too many arm chair coaches in this town. If we need a youth basketball league in town, get one started. Willie can provide some input, but that should be about it (similar to what Dale does with the Jr. Football League). Approach the city council about getting time at the armory. They used to have such a league years ago. Has it dissolved?

Arm chair coaches in Ft. Thomas? Come on ....give me a break. :D

I do not know that it ever dissolved, rather the city took it over and did a very poor job of running it to the point where last year there were not enough kids interested in playing. Agree with you 100% that if it needs to occur, people need to step forward and get it done. So far I have only heard from 1 other person with an interest in getting this going.