Anderson,OH 50 Highlands 44

Although I thought the Birds made a valiant 2nd half effort to come back and pull within 4 pts, their overall lack of offense last night was evident. Simpson couldnt get on track, MCgraw couldnt get many good looks although I like the way he drives to the goal. I was very impressed with Luke Stein and his tenacious ability to get rebounds, hustle after balls and just have fun playing the game. You can tell he loves the physicality and he has some very nice moves around the goal.

Other than that they struggled offensively. They play some tough man to man defense though and use most of their bench. Hopefully Simpson keeps his head up and plays hard the entire game on Tuesday night. Kerinan and the Breds better buckle em on because it will be a very physical matchup.

The guard for Anderson Wilkison was very good although he made some stupid mistakes early with the (5sec calls), he was a gamer and had a nice jump stop. Player of the game for them obviously as I would give the nod to Luke Stein for Highlands.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the game and was very unimpressed by the Birds...They have a bunch of football players trying to play basketball. The only person that can score on that team is Nic Simpson. If he has a bad night then they are done. Nobody can create a shot for themselves at all. I think it will be a long winter in Ft Thomas for the Birds...:cry:

Was at the game also, and indeed it is going to be a long winter for the Bluebirds. Simpson is indeed a stud, and indeed what a stud, but he just can't do it by himself, and unfortunately I just didn't see anyone on the bench or on the floor that I think can help out Simpson on the "O" side. If Highlands does well this year, it will be because of playing a tough "D" but if they get a Referee with a quick whistle, even that won't be enough....

#15 Wilkison, Anderson Guard, is indeed a player, but in talking to some of the Anderson fans, they say he needs to learn that their are others out on the floor. If as a senior, he hasn't learned that by now, I don't think he will, but he is indeed a player....... The kid who impressed me the most (by his sheer size alone and not by his basketball ability) was a freshmen who was 6'6" and had to weigh at least 300 pounds. The Anderson fans told me he plays a little football as a tackle...for the freshmen team.....WOW....

I was at the game and was very unimpressed by the Birds...They have a bunch of football players trying to play basketball. The only person that can score on that team is Nic Simpson. If he has a bad night then they are done. Nobody can create a shot for themselves at all. I think it will be a long winter in Ft Thomas for the Birds...:cry:

Long winter is an understatement. Program is not headed in a positive direction. I thought Willie was going to be the answer for resurecting the Birds. Get them back to competing and winning the region. His saving grace may be the frosh class, if he screws them up he needs to move on. The give me 3 per class theory is flawed beyond reproach. Also relying on footballers as the mainstays of the program is a serious problem. Smith and Lorenzen are no there any more. Willie needs to identify the young non football bballers and develop them. Unless overall philosophy at HHS changes it gonna be more than one long winter:cry:

The kid who impressed me the most (by his sheer size alone and not by his basketball ability) was a freshmen who was 6'6" and had to weigh at least 300 pounds. The Anderson fans told me he plays a little football as a tackle...for the freshmen team.....WOW....
That would be Chris and Adam Norwell's brother, Andrew.

You will remember that Adam played basketball for NKU and Chris is presently a linebacker for Illinois.

Long winter is an understatement. Program is not headed in a positive direction. I thought Willie was going to be the answer for resurecting the Birds. Get them back to competing and winning the region. His saving grace may be the frosh class, if he screws them up he needs to move on. The give me 3 per class theory is flawed beyond reproach. Also relying on footballers as the mainstays of the program is a serious problem. Smith and Lorenzen are no there any more. Willie needs to identify the young non football bballers and develop them. Unless overall philosophy at HHS changes it gonna be more than one long winter:cry:

This is a little off base:

First, many of the star athletes at Highlands play football (i.e. Smith, Lorenzen, Gino, Ben.......) For the basketball program not to rely on them would be a mistake.

Second, the development of Nic Simpson, Greg McGraw and many of the sophs and freshman can be attributed to the knowledge and hard work of Coach Schlarman and his assistants.

Third, the games that matter are much later in the season. With many football players in the system, December is a month to establish roles and rotations.

Let's judge them in February. They are the reigning district champs and drew CovCath, the eventual state region representitives last year.

This is a little off base:

First, many of the star athletes at Highlands play football (i.e. Smith, Lorenzen, Gino, Ben.......) For the basketball program not to rely on them would be a mistake.

Second, the development of Nic Simpson, Greg McGraw and many of the sophs and freshman can be attributed to the knowledge and hard work of Coach Schlarman and his assistants.

Third, the games that matter are much later in the season. With many football players in the system, December is a month to establish roles and rotations.

Let's judge them in February. They are the reigning district champs and drew CovCath, the eventual state region representitives last year.

I agree. The benchmark will be Feb. Smith and Lorenzen were absolute aberations at HHS. To think the Birds will have athletes like those two is absurd. Besides Lorenzen and Smith era, the successful Birds teams had a few footballers, but were constructed mainly with bball only guys. I do know a little about the round ball and I will argue the football (is the devil) thing until infinity or until the Birds win a regional championship, whichever comes first.

I agree. The benchmark will be Feb. Smith and Lorenzen were absolute aberations at HHS. To think the Birds will have athletes like those two is absurd. Besides Lorenzen and Smith era, the successful Birds teams had a few footballers, but were constructed mainly with bball only guys. I do know a little about the round ball and I will argue the football (is the devil) thing until infinity or until the Birds win a regional championship, whichever comes first.

..we've had this discussion before, and I will argue ad nauseum that HHS BB success depends on FB players because that is where the best atheletes gravitate. The "Muntis-Vories-Sullivan era" was the abherration. If Willie would follow the "Ken Shields-St. Thomas" blueprint he could have a chance at the Non-FB stud athelete. Until he is willing to develop at the grade school feeder level, he'll have to settle for FB players and second fiddle! IMHO...they run off more kids than they develop!

..we've had this discussion before, and I will argue ad nauseum that HHS BB success depends on FB players because that is where the best atheletes gravitate. The "Muntis-Vories-Sullivan era" was the abherration. If Willie would follow the "Ken Shields-St. Thomas" blueprint he could have a chance at the Non-FB stud athelete. Until he is willing to develop at the grade school feeder level, he'll have to settle for FB players and second fiddle! IMHO...they run off more kids than they develop!

In 82 the Freddie Terry lead Birds won the region. How many footballers were on that team? My senior year there was one footballer. And on and on. Correct about grade school development. There is none. Not even a sixth grade team at the middle school. Second fiddle is what Willie plays. But does it have to be that way. How many years do the Birds go without a regional crown? I ask you, how do you carry 8 jrs? There just seems to be no plan. Or if that is a plan, I don't see it as a successfull one. DMZ you played the roundball at HHS. Are you satisfied with the program as it stands now?

In 82 the Freddie Terry lead Birds won the region. How many footballers were on that team? My senior year there was one footballer. And on and on. Correct about grade school development. There is none. Not even a sixth grade team at the middle school. Second fiddle is what Willie plays. But does it have to be that way. How many years do the Birds go without a regional crown? I ask you, how do you carry 8 jrs? There just seems to be no plan. Or if that is a plan, I don't see it as a successfull one. DMZ you played the roundball at HHS. Are you satisfied with the program as it stands now?

I've been displeased with the program for years.....thought the new regime would bring about a new "structured" feeder system. 8 jrs. looks like a throwback to the Tom Russell era.........YIKES!!!!

And I guess that the girls program is right. The problem is that football is pumped into these kids heads from grade school on. There has been no organized basketball league in Ft. Thomas since my Dad ran it for a number of years. For all of the bashers, I ask why you do not step up and get something organized. The reason is that it is easier to complain and bash rather than stepping forward. Also, where would you like for this league to play its game? I have made inquiries and been told that there is no guarantee that a gym would be available every weekend. Another problem is that you have people coaching youth teams that have no interest in teaching the game, rather they want to self promote their own kid. Also you have too many kids on the Middle School team that have no business playing either due to lack of ability and/or discipline. The basketball program is always going to be dependent on football players. Always has been and always will be. One final point, the 1981 and 1982 regional champ teams contained at least 5 football players on each team.