Highlands - 2021 Schedule

6 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Sounds like Friday will be a scrimmage like situation to finish out spring ball. Unfortunately, there has been a lot of injuries this spring.

There has been A LOT of movement the last week or so on the coaching staff. 1 VERY big loss for the program that I know a lot of players are upset by. 

As someone who just truly wants what is best for the program, I really worry about the amount of dads/family members being brought on staff. 

A fair amount of green jerseys, some precautionary.  Many have returned but some missed some or most of Spring.  I think all still can return over the next 6 weeks.  Hate injuries!  

On the impactful players, I can only think of one that quit the program but that was well before Spring ball and thought is a tough loss for sure, but each their own.  A few might stick with baseball but time will tell.

Coach Dowling was a surprise but I believe that had nothing to do with direction of program.  Just not enough money to pay the # of assistants.  A fair amount of Dad coaches on staff but to be candid the time requirements alone.  This program will not be out worked.  Night and day difference requirements of the kids.  Sunday flag football has a HHS presence; organized stations, morning lifting and just look at the time dedicated to special teams.  I have coached with many of those Dads and they know the game.  Sphire has them dialed in and I trust the process.  The boys I suspected to be leading and playing or doing just that!

5 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

Position asked for. Position created? Has Highlands had a specific staff/professional S & C coach in the past?

https://fortthomas.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=639#.YIrXQwUbow8.twitter

Screenshot_20210429-232522.jpg

New position and much needed.  Nevels has a lot invested in his own operation; so he might have to pass.  In any event it was very much needed for many programs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bird Bath said:

A fair amount of green jerseys, some precautionary.  Many have returned but some missed some or most of Spring.  I think all still can return over the next 6 weeks.  Hate injuries!  

On the impactful players, I can only think of one that quit the program but that was well before Spring ball and thought is a tough loss for sure, but each their own.  A few might stick with baseball but time will tell.

Coach Dowling was a surprise but I believe that had nothing to do with direction of program.  Just not enough money to pay the # of assistants.  A fair amount of Dad coaches on staff but to be candid the time requirements alone.  This program will not be out worked.  Night and day difference requirements of the kids.  Sunday flag football has a HHS presence; organized stations, morning lifting and just look at the time dedicated to special teams.  I have coached with many of those Dads and they know the game.  Sphire has them dialed in and I trust the process.  The boys I suspected to be leading and playing or doing just that!

Poor wording on my part. I didn’t mean to insinuate that Coach Dowling was leaving because he didn’t like what was going on, or money, or anything like that. I just meant that players were upset because he was well respected and liked. I know he led the freshman meeting yesterday and is still helping Coach Sphire with the transition. 

I’m glad to hear the Injuries sound to not be too serious; anytime I see a bunch of guys on the side or in green jerseys I get concerned. 

18 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Poor wording on my part. I didn’t mean to insinuate that Coach Dowling was leaving because he didn’t like what was going on, or money, or anything like that. I just meant that players were upset because he was well respected and liked. I know he led the freshman meeting yesterday and is still helping Coach Sphire with the transition. 

I’m glad to hear the Injuries sound to not be too serious; anytime I see a bunch of guys on the side or in green jerseys I get concerned. 

Agreed.  Dowling was well liked by the players!  Tough loss but with time commitments, changing of family dynamics that stuff happens.  I wish I had a job that allowed me to coach and mentor and mold young men!  I have said this many times, kids grow up to fast.  4 years and then you are going to miss this.  Coaching is fun!  Parents not so much..

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Bluebird99 said:

Heard some impactful players have quit also.  

Lol why would “impactful kids” be quitting? Practice too hard, practice too long? Being asked to commit to program? Too early for practice? Schedule too demanding? Cant get along with others? Maybe just a hangover from previous regime. Don’t like what’s being asked of them I’m guessing. Well I guess someone just got an opportunity to try and fill another kids shoes. 

End of Spring started in the lot with a parents tailgate, boys coming out to Oklahoma and clocked and timed college stations.  I was very impressed with the second step of March1.  Curious to what others thought.  Any standouts?  I witnessed a bunch going both ways.  Nice to see the first d-line group was really big and allowed LB to come downhill.  I like offensive sets and the use of TE.  I have been arguing that for years.  

10 hours ago, Bird Bath said:

End of Spring started in the lot with a parents tailgate, boys coming out to Oklahoma and clocked and timed college stations.  I was very impressed with the second step of March1.  Curious to what others thought.  Any standouts?  I witnessed a bunch going both ways.  Nice to see the first d-line group was really big and allowed LB to come downhill.  I like offensive sets and the use of TE.  I have been arguing that for years.  

1March!  Lol.  Favorite line of the night- Coach I better put the parents on the clock or we are never getting out of here.  He brought the parents out of the stands and thanked them and the community to allow him to what he does.  It was a fun night!

On 4/30/2021 at 9:52 PM, TEDFROMVILLAHILLS said:

Lol why would “impactful kids” be quitting? Practice too hard, practice too long? Being asked to commit to program? Too early for practice? Schedule too demanding? Cant get along with others? Maybe just a hangover from previous regime. Don’t like what’s being asked of them I’m guessing. Well I guess someone just got an opportunity to try and fill another kids shoes. 

Could be some of all of that.  Could be they don’t mesh with new regime.... it happens. 
And, like you said, it opens opportunity for another kid. 

On 4/30/2021 at 9:16 AM, TheDeuce said:

Why are there so many dads on staff? Has it always been that way?

I think this is a consequence (not saying bad or good) hiring a coach in Feb/Mar when all the assistants probably are already committed to their respective positions at other schools.  It will be interesting if there is a lot of shakeup in a normal offseason.

I think Bibb, Abner, and Welch are smart football minds that will be used well....could care less that they have a kid in the program especially with Sphire being the Head Coach.  I get the feeling Sphire won’t allow any special treatment amongst these guys kids.

• Thanks 1