Highlands - 2021 Schedule

Hard not to remember Red Dog.  True story I remember when Coach used to pick up David Hartke each day before after practice during the SK days in the 80’s.  He  always found away to see the best in a kid.  I believe David went missing in Texas/Mexico in 2019.  I think he was found.  He truly got the best out of his boys!  To this day I remember him whistling and stretching up on his toes!

The guy went full go to the end. I remember him 2 months before he passed would come down into Death Valley, find a nice patch of grass and sit down. He would coach from that spot and let all of us know how we had to play defense. It was hard for him to yell but you knew what he meant. He told you how it had to be and how it was going to be. The guy could rally a team and get you to play that swarming, hard hitting, everyone to the ball type of defense. Don't be the last guy there nor not be in on the tackle or you heard about it. 

2 hours ago, AgainstTheGrain said:

Red Dog will be known by the guys who knew what that meant. The kids now a days don't understand the man or system behind that. Some previous coaches knew it but this new staff won't know. The man was a legend and his way of coaching shaped Highlands football in the 90s and early 2000s. I am not sure if any player now would be able to tell you what that means. I would even venture out out say not many coaches with in the Jr. football league knows what Red Dog means. It only resinates with us late 30 year olds to mid to late 40 year olds. We are the ones to lived it. It certainly could be brought back but would that age group would be the ones to instill it.

Red Dog was a great man and is the epitome of Highlands Football!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AgainstTheGrain said:

Red Dog will be known by the guys who knew what that meant. The kids now a days don't understand the man or system behind that. Some previous coaches knew it but this new staff won't know. The man was a legend and his way of coaching shaped Highlands football in the 90s and early 2000s. I am not sure if any player now would be able to tell you what that means. I would even venture out out say not many coaches with in the Jr. football league knows what Red Dog means. It only resinates with us late 30 year olds to mid to late 40 year olds. We are the ones to lived it. It certainly could be brought back but would that age group would be the ones to instill it.

Is this the same guy that had his team chant “Bird 💩” to the Birds when he was coaching at Lloyd?

1 minute ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Is this the same guy that had his team chant “Bird 💩” to the Birds when he was coaching at Lloyd?

Would not surprise me in the least.  Before HHS he was the common man us against the world mentality.  He could get you to play as there was no tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AgainstTheGrain said:

Lol, I agree with your take 100%. Let’s say this, sadly there are kids playing now who don’t know who Dale Mueller is let alone Red Dog. 

• Like 1

If you never heard Red Dog's speech about how to pack your gear for away games you really missed something special. "Pack your gear in your bag from your toes to head. That way you'll never forget a thing". As he spoke he demonstrated packing gear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tones said:

Can somebody in the know let us who aren't what or who Red Dog is and the meaning behind it for the Highlands faithful?

Jim "Red Dog" Dougherty...Bellevue high school grad, brother of Bob Dougherty, who played for the rams back in the 50s. Coached at Lloyd, Simon Kenton, and Highlands. He died roundabout '96 or '97, if I remember correctly. He was the DC at Highlands for a long while...and a tough son of a gun.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Jim "Red Dog" Dougherty...Bellevue high school grad, brother of Bob Dougherty, who played for the rams back in the 50s. Coached at Lloyd, Simon Kenton, and Highlands. He died roundabout '96 or '97, if I remember correctly. He was the DC at Highlands for a long while...and a tough son of a gun.

Died in 1996. He passed the morning of the Conner game. Highlands went out and smoked The Cougars that night. Brady Grimm opened the game with a KO return for a TD and Highlands never looked back. Needless to say they weren’t losing that night in Hebron.

Red Dog’s 1st year at Highlands was my Sr year in 1987. He nicknamed me “The Snake” after Kenny Stabler. Because we were both Left handed QB’s.🤣 He knew how to get the most out of his players for sure. Oh how we loved Red Dog!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Red Dog was one of 12 that grew up in Bellevue.  He had many coaching stops along the way in both Ohio and Kentucky.  Took Lloyd to the state championship in 1974 where they went 14-0.  Then took on a major project at Simon Kenton before coming to Highlands to assist Tom Duffy.  I am sure anyone that played for him can attest to some crazy story.  One thing was certain, he would tell you how it was and would push you to be the best you could be no matter the situation.

12 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Red Dog was one of 12 that grew up in Bellevue.  He had many coaching stops along the way in both Ohio and Kentucky.  Took Lloyd to the state championship in 1974 where they went 14-0.  Then took on a major project at Simon Kenton before coming to Highlands to assist Tom Duffy.  I am sure anyone that played for him can attest to some crazy story.  One thing was certain, he would tell you how it was and would push you to be the best you could be no matter the situation.

Don't forget he was on Jack Eicher's staff 1st.....Come on JOAT! You knew that.

19 hours ago, THUNDERBIRDS said:

Died in 1996. He passed the morning of the Conner game. Highlands went out and smoked The Cougars that night. Brady Grimm opened the game with a KO return for a TD and Highlands never looked back. Needless to say they weren’t losing that night in Hebron.

Red Dog’s 1st year at Highlands was my Sr year in 1987. He nicknamed me “The Snake” after Kenny Stabler. Because we were both Left handed QB’s.🤣 He knew how to get the most out of his players for sure. Oh how we loved Red Dog!

NO chance of losing to them twice in a season like it has been.

On 2/9/2021 at 10:47 AM, Lions Paw said:

If you never heard Red Dog's speech about how to pack your gear for away games you really missed something special. "Pack your gear in your bag from your toes to head. That way you'll never forget a thing". As he spoke he demonstrated packing gear.

Yes a true life lesson there and I still do that to this day.