Highlands - 2021 Schedule

13 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Totally agree with this and it will benefit the program as a whole. I think the group that is in for the hardest "awakening" is a lot of the parents. The sense of entitlement from some of the parents in the program is mind boggling. 

I couldn't agree more with your comment regarding the parents. I hope the new Coach send a very clear and definitive message to the parents. The sooner the parents understand their roles the much faster their child will see success.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Sweeperboy said:

For me, all of the above mentioned is most probably very close to a 100% true analogy. 
However, what is so beautiful about a new coach and a new coach that doesn’t know the Jimmy’s from the Joe’s or the legacy names etc, etc, is the fact that “he” and “he” alone will make the calls that will give the program the best shot at winning and winning big again. 

A very good coach that is experienced as Bob is will immediately see the talent and athletes and evaluate where they have been or are going and will get the best out of a kid even if it means having a kid move to a new position. 

I hope as parents that everyone is telling  their kids to do whatever is best for the team and that there could be a very good chance that a young man maybe asked to change positions.

There will have to be sacrifices and some maybe much bigger and more noticeable than others.

Just like that, the “golden rule” is broken. Lol!

Agree with the other poster as to there will be parents upset with the new Coach! 
There are going to have to be position changes that are best for not only the player but the team. And that is what comes first if you want to reach the top. That’s exactly what happened when “the run of championships” started. Kids sacrificed for the team. I am confident these kids will do the same and hopefully their parents accept it. 

• Like 2

On 2/5/2021 at 10:49 AM, Kenny Powers said:

Totally agree with this and it will benefit the program as a whole. I think the group that is in for the hardest "awakening" is a lot of the parents. The sense of entitlement from some of the parents in the program is mind boggling. 

The Truth right here.....Let’s see if Bob is so great of a guy to some come Sept/Oct when things are moving in a different direction.

When that potential Freshman is good enough to play in a Varsity game before maybe even a Sr.  Not saying that will happen but  it certainly could. How will everyone react then? 

Every great program play Frosh on the  Varsity level. They do it at Male and they certainly did it in Ga. Its done everywhere. So don’t think it can’t and won’t happen at Highlands. Anything is possible....

“Trust the Process”

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, THUNDERBIRDS said:

The Truth right here.....Let’s see if Bob is so great of a guy to some come Sept/Oct when things are moving in a different direction.

When that potential Freshman is good enough to play in a Varsity game before maybe even a Sr.  Not saying that will happen but  it certainly could. How will everyone react then? 

Every great program play Frosh on the  Varsity level. They do it at Male and they certainly did it in Ga. Its done everywhere. So don’t think it can’t and won’t happen at Highlands. Anything is possible....

“Trust the Process”

That can happen but very rare.  What might be a better analogy is that play on the field is based on skill set and not generation, name or funds thrown to the program.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bird Bath said:

That can happen but very rare.  What might be a better analogy is that play on the field is based on skill set and not generation, name or funds thrown to the program.  

Maybe rare but not out of the Question. I’m all for playing the Best players. Should be interesting.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, THUNDERBIRDS said:

Maybe rare but not out of the Question. I’m all for playing the Best players. Should be interesting.

Classes will be able to jump classes when Spring seasons come back in play and with a real strength and conditioning coach on staff.  I am hoping that happens soon!!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, theguru said:

How cool is this if you play in the Fort Thomas Junior Football League!

May be an illustration of football and text that says 'FTJFL Fort Thomas Junior Football League 2021 Uniforms and Mascots HIGHLANDERS 45 HIGHLANDERS Fort originally Arma outpost urveyed whel declared SAPPERS our leasure honor the The and mained named States Highlands until 1914. title proudly Essayons! 45 .UEDEVILS 45 GENERALS BLUEDEVILS original high school masco iuobird GENERALS equest Fort Thomas named members Thomas, Generals of This neritage tua hp honor, country above Ise.'

We have done this for a few years now....The kids love the Jerseys and Helmet Graphics but who wouldn’t? I was super Jealous that I didn’t have this back when we played in the FTJFL.

My Son was a Sapper 2 years ago. He’s now part of the Bluebirds Middle School team. 

• Like 3

Since November and being without a leader, I wonder where we are as a program. I have heard about private groups working out, etc etc but I want to share somethings. As young adults, one of the most difficult challenges is instilled  through discipline and how we work to prepare for the unknown.

I remember meeting with my college coach and actually working out for him. My son did the same thing for his college coach. 

In both cases, I remember how much I didn’t want to let my coach down and how hard I wanted to improve and show up at College camp in the best shape possible. 

For me, I wanted my coach to say “ Wow! Iam glad I recruited this kid” or wow I didn’t realize what I was really getting. Plus, I sure as heck didn’t want to disappoint myself or my family and friends. 

We all hope the Highlands young men are doing the same  right now, working themselves to be the very best. I believe most are but some may not be and could be falling into complacency.

When Coach Sphire arrives, he will know immediately who has been working  and who hasn’t , this is just some of the experience he brings to the table.

Food for thought for those young men that read BGP, if you think you worked  hard last year, you need to work 3 times harder right now and do “whatever is necessary “ to be be prepared when you meet Coach Sphire. It’s quite obvious the bar for success is much higher than what you might have thought was acceptable to succeed in the past.

Imo, CovCath and the best in Ky are playing at about 3 notches or more higher than you played last year. An argument could be made that the gap was slowly closing as some scores were closer than others but I respectfully disagree, actually CovCath has played Highlands as hard as they had to and the outcome  was never in jeopardy.

This is what great programs do, they make you think “man we were so close” or “if we could have just stopped them on that 3rd and inches” things that are just not going  to happen with tremendously disciplined teams.

Also, as mentioned earlier in this thread, the best athletes and hardest working young men will most likely  rise to the top. However, for those that thought you didn’t get a fair shake in the past and those that claimed coach just didn’t like me or was evenly skilled with 2 other guys at the same position. Now is the time to change that label, do what’s best for the program,  and finish your HS career strong. This years team will be remembered as Coach Sphire’s first team and you will most likely be remembered as his favorite in due time.

My college coach gave me something to think about when he said “Don’t show up to summer practice to get in shape, show up to summer practice to show off what you have been doing for the last 5-months”.

Go Birds!!!

•  
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

I was hoping they’d change the Highlanders to Red Dogs. I’m not sure if Red Dog is still part of Highlands tradition though. 

Red Dog will be known by the guys who knew what that meant. The kids now a days don't understand the man or system behind that. Some previous coaches knew it but this new staff won't know. The man was a legend and his way of coaching shaped Highlands football in the 90s and early 2000s. I am not sure if any player now would be able to tell you what that means. I would even venture out out say not many coaches with in the Jr. football league knows what Red Dog means. It only resinates with us late 30 year olds to mid to late 40 year olds. We are the ones to lived it. It certainly could be brought back but would that age group would be the ones to instill it.

• Like 3