Highlands - 2021 Schedule

9 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I would be shocked if the following young men are not playing a lot of varsity football as sophomores: Roller, Fenik, Shelton, Matteoli, Class, Hinegardner, Boler, Schweitzer (if healthy), and Benke. If Benke isn’t playing QB, he needs, and I think will, be playing somewhere; whether it be TE, WR, or DB. Saying “enough about Benke” is ignorant. Not many kids in NKY who are 6’4 200 that run like a deer and have great ball skills... just saying. I wouldn’t be shocked with what I’ve heard to see Noon and Benke both play some QB and both play some WR/DB. 

I am very certain that many mentioned will be playing JV.  No shame in that.  I have been around a long time those kids will be good especially under the new regime; but more than a few might see the field but few will start over boys currently in the senior or junior class.  Time will tell.  I have been told time again that Benke will challenge at QB.  You don’t lead the birds if you are going to play 3 sports.  Fact the senior leaders will expect more than he can deliver.  I am fine with the measurables but I know 6’2 220 LB that will prove how soft some of those boys are.  The kids read this, how young, how great this class is and I don’t see it.  Again tell me what positions these boys are going to play.  I predict not QB, not LB unless a few move to DLine for team.  I am sure some will see the field.  I would bet three or less start.  Oline all juniors and Seniors.  

20 hours ago, Bird Bath said:

I am very certain that many mentioned will be playing JV.  No shame in that.  I have been around a long time those kids will be good especially under the new regime; but more than a few might see the field but few will start over boys currently in the senior or junior class.  Time will tell.  I have been told time again that Benke will challenge at QB.  You don’t lead the birds if you are going to play 3 sports.  Fact the senior leaders will expect more than he can deliver.  I am fine with the measurables but I know 6’2 220 LB that will prove how soft some of those boys are.  The kids read this, how young, how great this class is and I don’t see it.  Again tell me what positions these boys are going to play.  I predict not QB, not LB unless a few move to DLine for team.  I am sure some will see the field.  I would bet three or less start.  Oline all juniors and Seniors.  

Never said they would start. Just saying that the team is young and I see a lot of young guys getting a lot of time. And if there is a 6’2 220 LB who’s gonna knock people around, where has he been the last few years? Is this a new kid that moved in that we don’t know about? Because I certainly haven’t seen anyone play for HHS in the last few years described like that. 

6 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Never said they would start. Just saying that the team is young and I see a lot of young guys getting a lot of time. And if there is a 6’2 220 LB who’s gonna knock people around, where has he been the last few years? Is this a new kid that moved in that we don’t know about? Because I certainly haven’t seen anyone play for HHS in the last few years described like that. 

You must be removed for too long.  Brycen  2 years ago had his way around NKY.  Last year South and Hartman brought the wood.  I have faith the staff will see exactly what I am talking about.  Trust me I know the junior/senior class better than most.  I had a chat with a couple of boys about the Sophs mention and some will truly play and are very good.  Others might be great in time.  You remind me of a dad/coach that likes to talk about a certain class.  Let’s just agree to disagree. I am not concerned in the least about the boys being young.  You have leaders in place.  Enjoy the ride it goes by fast.  I wish I had two or three more going through!

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Bird Bath said:

You must be removed for too long.  Brycen  2 years ago had his way around NKY.  Last year South and Hartman brought the wood.  I have faith the staff will see exactly what I am talking about.  Trust me I know the junior/senior class better than most.  I had a chat with a couple of boys about the Sophs mention and some will truly play and are very good.  Others might be great in time.  You remind me of a dad/coach that likes to talk about a certain class.  Let’s just agree to disagree. I am not concerned in the least about the boys being young.  You have leaders in place.  Enjoy the ride it goes by fast.  I wish I had two or three more going through!

This!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bird Bath said:

Fair enough. We both want the same thing. Let’s get back to the way it should be! 

7 hours ago, Sweeperboy said:

I had the pleasure of meeting Coach Sphire and his son Hayden today.

I don’t think he sees the same thing as some on here. 

This is why I love a new coach that doesn’t know anyone in Ft Thomas, just sayin...

Exactly.  You have been around long enough to know what the wood shed is and what is missing.  The long hours, the film critique.  Who doesn’t love a young OC that calls out a receiver for not blocking near the goal line.  You don’t block you don’t play.  Simple concept.  Coach wants workers doesn’t sugar coat.  Under size and soft; rings true.  Folks this is going to take sometime but it is going to go in the right direction without outside influences.  Which is right by the kids.

• Like 1

Highlands is doing these senior spotlights on Twitter that I think are a pretty cool notion. One of the details about them gave me a good chuckle though. The 2021 goal for everyone is apparently to "WIN STATE!" But then, there are two things on each of the senior spotlight graphics that are typed in significantly larger text than the 2021 goal, one is the player's name, and then the other one is.......

HighlandsSeniors8.jpg.54adf587d19dde1e1ce7268e7e64357c.jpgHighlandsSeniors7.jpg.3a942b98073dba131652cec214f8bc09.jpgHighlandsSeniors6.jpg.75981056f2b4b773eb5963d1332184e7.jpgHighlandsSeniors5.jpg.9e805f50c605b858f153f28bf3c38a18.jpgHighlandsSeniors4.jpg.1c3dfbba24c7057bf7cb1e48e28153f0.jpgHighlandsSeniors3.jpg.7ed3723aa3c8e1e2679238666c05a09a.jpgHighlandsSeniors2.jpg.1216bbfe2e8a707d129a537ca74b5aa6.jpgHighlandsSeniors1.jpg.964fa88f907c82c4bee48d516bd5ee1f.jpg

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, The Oracle said:

Highlands is doing these senior spotlights on Twitter that I think are a pretty cool notion. One of the details about them gave me a good chuckle though. The 2021 goal for everyone is apparently to "WIN STATE!" But then, there are two things on each of the senior spotlight graphics that are typed in significantly larger text than the 2021 goal, one is the player's name, and then the other one is.......

HighlandsSeniors8.jpg.54adf587d19dde1e1ce7268e7e64357c.jpgHighlandsSeniors7.jpg.3a942b98073dba131652cec214f8bc09.jpgHighlandsSeniors6.jpg.75981056f2b4b773eb5963d1332184e7.jpgHighlandsSeniors5.jpg.9e805f50c605b858f153f28bf3c38a18.jpgHighlandsSeniors4.jpg.1c3dfbba24c7057bf7cb1e48e28153f0.jpgHighlandsSeniors3.jpg.7ed3723aa3c8e1e2679238666c05a09a.jpgHighlandsSeniors2.jpg.1216bbfe2e8a707d129a537ca74b5aa6.jpgHighlandsSeniors1.jpg.964fa88f907c82c4bee48d516bd5ee1f.jpg

Hi! My name is Johnny... Johnny Rain Cloud. No matter the situation I enjoy finding the negative in everything! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, The Oracle said:

#1march

• Like 4

On 4/22/2021 at 6:22 AM, Kenny Powers said:

Hi! My name is Johnny... Johnny Rain Cloud. No matter the situation I enjoy finding the negative in everything! 

Hey, haha I only said it made me chuckle. Never said anything about positive or negative. You're the one who mentioned negative 😁

• Like 1

Sounds like Friday will be a scrimmage like situation to finish out spring ball. Unfortunately, there has been a lot of injuries this spring.

There has been A LOT of movement the last week or so on the coaching staff. 1 VERY big loss for the program that I know a lot of players are upset by. 

As someone who just truly wants what is best for the program, I really worry about the amount of dads/family members being brought on staff. 

57 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Sounds like Friday will be a scrimmage like situation to finish out spring ball. Unfortunately, there has been a lot of injuries this spring.

There has been A LOT of movement the last week or so on the coaching staff. 1 VERY big loss for the program that I know a lot of players are upset by. 

As someone who just truly wants what is best for the program, I really worry about the amount of dads/family members being brought on staff. 

Heard some impactful players have quit also.  

On 3/3/2021 at 10:09 AM, uninformedexpert said:

Heard some interesting secondhand feedback, aka guy at work, that the new coach was not happy about how far the weights program has fallen off.  But, to his credit, was adamant that it will be fixed.  

On 3/3/2021 at 11:22 AM, Kenny Powers said:

I heard very similar things as well. Maybe the district can use the momentum of Coach Sphire's hire as a time to go ahead and create a position for a strength and conditioning coach at Highlands that would work with all sports and students. Long over due, in my opinion. 

On 3/3/2021 at 11:51 AM, Bird Bath said:

Winner!  Can’t agree more! Different sports different muscle groups.  This is so needed for the entire sports program! I would have Jordan Nevels on speed dial...

Position asked for. Position created? Has Highlands had a specific staff/professional S & C coach in the past?

https://fortthomas.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=639#.YIrXQwUbow8.twitter

Screenshot_20210429-232522.jpg