Highlands - 2021 Schedule

7 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I think this is a consequence (not saying bad or good) hiring a coach in Feb/Mar when all the assistants probably are already committed to their respective positions at other schools.  It will be interesting if there is a lot of shakeup in a normal offseason.

I think Bibb, Abner, and Welch are smart football minds that will be used well....could care less that they have a kid in the program especially with Sphire being the Head Coach.  I get the feeling Sphire won’t allow any special treatment amongst these guys kids.

Mike Welch has been on staff at HHS for the last few years and has done great; his passion and knowledge has been awesome. Bibb is an absolutely amazing coach who knows all phases of the game as good or better than anyone I have ever met; ask anyone who has ever coached with him and they would tell you the same. I cannot express how happy I am for Dave that he is back into coaching; I think it will be awesome for him and even better for the players. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Which kids really stood out during the spring scrimmage?

It was more team situational than scrimmage.  Both offensive and defensive lines look strong.  I like Kissee, Bibb and Schwalbach on d-line with Weidner and Woods rotation.  Older Roller still out.  LB crew was LaFrange Mike and Fenik played Jack with Young Roller and Hodge on the outsides.  Harris AAU and Robinson out with Higenson and Welsh in baseball.  LaFrange/Robinson are probably are a given but plenty of competition.  CB safety king and a lot of youngsters but Dunn was missed.  Had a great Spring.  I don’t know a lot of the youngsters.  

offense Noon in green but hit a lot of passes.  Lloyd, Surrey ,Porter and Then Matteoli showed well.  You still have Welch out.  Harris Deburger and Kelsay baseball (bunch of competition there). 

TE Halpin had a great spring more of the lightning of the group.  LaFrange is thunder a step slower but Kissee and him can make holes and he has very good hands will move the sticks.  

RB Richter looked solid.  Hosea still coming back from injury and young Roller.  Some others but still learning names.  

What I witnessed most was a lot of hits and some good trench work. Shout out to Bowman and Barton as well.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bird Bath said:

It was more team situational than scrimmage.  Both offensive and defensive lines look strong.  I like Kissee, Bibb and Schwalbach on d-line with Weidner and Woods rotation.  Older Roller still out.  LB crew was LaFrange Mike and Fenik played Jack with Young Roller and Hodge on the outsides.  Harris AAU and Robinson out with Higenson and Welsh in baseball.  LaFrange/Robinson are probably are a given but plenty of competition.  CB safety king and a lot of youngsters but Dunn was missed.  Had a great Spring.  I don’t know a lot of the youngsters.  

offense Noon in green but hit a lot of passes.  Lloyd, Surrey ,Porter and Then Matteoli showed well.  You still have Welch out.  Harris Deburger and Kelsay baseball (bunch of competition there). 

TE Halpin had a great spring more of the lightning of the group.  LaFrange is thunder a step slower but Kissee and him can make holes and he has very good hands will move the sticks.  

RB Richter looked solid.  Hosea still coming back from injury and young Roller.  Some others but still learning names.  

What I witnessed most was a lot of hits and some good trench work. Shout out to Bowman and Barton as well.  

Harris AAU? What AAU is going on that he had to miss his team practice?

8 hours ago, TEDFROMVILLAHILLS said:

Harris AAU? What AAU is going on that he had to miss his team practice?

This speaks volumes to those that says Coach is against other sports.  Typically you can miss for high school spring sports.  I am not sure how that shakes out but Harris was instrumental to the Birds basketball run.  I tell mine to work hard everyday and just like if you were working some decisions are above your pay grade.

You are always going to have athletes that can play multiple and make it work.  What I will say for Harris is he is working the hard and missing the fun.  His AAU events take him away weekends in Spring  which was the more fun events. 

in recent years past you miss time you can catch up.  This is different.  Plenty of Summer left but groundwork has been laid.  You better come to work and you have a lot of catching up to do.  

15 hours ago, Bird Bath said:

Thank you for the update

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was told recently that Cam Giesler will be making his 2nd stop at HHS this fall. If true, that means he will have gone from HHS to CCH to NCC, and back to HHS all in the matter of a year.

I think he would have to sit out a year based on the fact that he played varsity football at CCH last season but I feel like every time I have a grasp on the KHSAA rules they either change or I’m wrong. 

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

I was told recently that Cam Giesler will be making his 2nd stop at HHS this fall. If true, that means he will have gone from HHS to CCH to NCC, and back to HHS all in the matter of a year.

I think he would have to sit out a year based on the fact that he played varsity football at CCH last season but I feel like every time I have a grasp on the KHSAA rules they either change or I’m wrong. 

Correct that he would have to sit, but betting he ends up eligible in going from private to public.  I was told this was happening as well several months ago.  Better question might be if he is reclassifying.

5 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Correct that he would have to sit, but betting he ends up eligible in going from private to public.  I was told this was happening as well several months ago.  Better question might be if he is reclassifying.

I’m pretty sure that the deadline to transfer and be able to reclassify at your new school was May 1st. Geisler played Varsity Football at CCH and Varsity Basketball at NCC. I don’t see any chance that he will be cleared to play this coming season.

On 6/29/2021 at 8:22 PM, gbballfan21 said:

I’m pretty sure that the deadline to transfer and be able to reclassify at your new school was May 1st. Geisler played Varsity Football at CCH and Varsity Basketball at NCC. I don’t see any chance that he will be cleared to play this coming season.

Yeah I agree but wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of the Variables that comes with his situation allow him to get a pass. One being tuition hardship if there such a thing. And going back to the school where he started and also where he lives, might allow him some leverage as well. After seeing all the rule changes with Covid allowing 19 year olds to play with 15 year olds, nothing would surprise me one bit. A least the Covid rule didn’t allow kids to go from school to school. That would of been a train wreck. In the end I think he stays at NCC. Family is entrenched there and he would be the Top dog there too. Would of been a Stud for CCH If he didn’t have to worry about the 513 on the Hardwood. Hope it works out for him wherever he lands. 

• Like 2

19 year olds have always been able to play against 15 year olds. There have been games with 13-14 year olds playing against 19 year olds. The reclassification didn’t change the age rule for the KHSAA. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BirdDaddy said:

Yeah I agree but wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of the Variables that comes with his situation allow him to get a pass. One being tuition hardship if there such a thing. And going back to the school where he started and also where he lives, might allow him some leverage as well. After seeing all the rule changes with Covid allowing 19 year olds to play with 15 year olds, nothing would surprise me one bit. A least the Covid rule didn’t allow kids to go from school to school. That would of been a train wreck. In the end I think he stays at NCC. Family is entrenched there and he would be the Top dog there too. Would of been a Stud for CCH If he didn’t have to worry about the 513 on the Hardwood. Hope it works out for him wherever he lands. 

The impression I have gotten is that the “entrenchment” in NCC or just a Catholic education is/was coming from Cam’s grandparents and now that he is back with his mom that isn’t necessarily the priority.

I will say that I know for a fact that Cam did NOT want to leave HHS in the first place and was adamant that it was not his choice.