Highlands - 2021 Schedule

1 hour ago, uninformedexpert said:

Heard some interesting secondhand feedback, aka guy at work, that the new coach was not happy about how far the weights program has fallen off.  But, to his credit, was adamant that it will be fixed.  

I heard very similar things as well. Maybe the district can use the momentum of Coach Sphire's hire as a time to go ahead and create a position for a strength and conditioning coach at Highlands that would work with all sports and students. Long over due, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I heard very similar things as well. Maybe the district can use the momentum of Coach Sphire's hire as a time to go ahead and create a position for a strength and conditioning coach at Highlands that would work with all sports and students. Long over due, in my opinion. 

Winner!  Can’t agree more! Different sports different muscle groups.  This is so needed for the entire sports program! I would have Jordan Nevels on speed dial...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Looks like Hayden Sphire is the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. 25 years old and he's the OC at Highlands. Impressive!

I'm not sure age is an issue here. I'm hopping it's not. He's been around his Dad's system for 25 years and played QB in the same system. From what I was told, he took control of the meeting the first time he stepped in front of the players this week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lions Paw said:

I'm not sure age is an issue here. I'm hopping it's not. He's been around his Dad's system for 25 years and played QB in the same system. From what I was told, he took control of the meeting the first time he stepped in front of the players this week.

If all goes well with Highlands under Coach Bob Sphire I think we already know who is next in line. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 11:51 AM, Bird Bath said:

Winner!  Can’t agree more! Different sports different muscle groups.  This is so needed for the entire sports program! I would have Jordan Nevels on speed dial...

The Nevels brothers did wonders for the basketball program.  The kids love and would run through a wall for those guys!  A big reason for the state championship!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dshoe40 said:

Has any other coaches been named?

Based on what I saw yesterday it looked like it was: 

HC - Bob Sphire 

OC/QB - Hayden Sphire 

RB - Zach Deaton

WR/Special Teams - Casey Smith 

TE - Brady Dowling

OL - Scott Turner Sr. and Scott Turner Jr.

DL - Mark Dill

ILB - Dave Bibb

OLB - Mike Welch

DB - Kris Nevels and Matt Reed - I assume Leopold will be doing something on defense too once track season is over. 

On a totally separate note, is it common among other schools to have so many para-professionals on staff?

Some observations from Practice

It was exciting to see some intensity coming from the staff yesterday and exciting to see some guys who should have been playing multiple positions in past years playing them and utilizing the TE/FB position. 

On a down note, it does seem that Coach Sphire is very disappointed in the lack of physicality. There were multiple instances when he stopped and berated the team for being soft with my favorite quote being "Gosh all-mighty it ain't your dang sister, it is like ya'll ain't ever tackled anyone". 

IMO this is going to be a very, very young team. Talent is there and more is coming but it is YOUNG talent. A whole lot of sophomores and juniors are going to be starting/playing a lot this year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Based on what I saw yesterday it looked like it was: 

HC - Bob Sphire 

OC/QB - Hayden Sphire 

RB - Zach Deaton

WR/Special Teams - Casey Smith 

TE - Brady Dowling

OL - Scott Turner Sr. and Scott Turner Jr.

DL - Mark Dill

ILB - Dave Bibb

OLB - Mike Welch

DB - Kris Nevels and Matt Reed - I assume Leopold will be doing something on defense too once track season is over. 

On a totally separate note, is it common among other schools to have so many para-professionals on staff?

Some observations from Practice

It was exciting to see some intensity coming from the staff yesterday and exciting to see some guys who should have been playing multiple positions in past years playing them and utilizing the TE/FB position. 

On a down note, it does seem that Coach Sphire is very disappointed in the lack of physicality. There were multiple instances when he stopped and berated the team for being soft with my favorite quote being "Gosh all-mighty it ain't your dang sister, it is like ya'll ain't ever tackled anyone". 

IMO this is going to be a very, very young team. Talent is there and more is coming but it is YOUNG talent. A whole lot of sophomores and juniors are going to be starting/playing a lot this year. 

Nice recap!  Thanks for the info on coaches.  I heard green Jerseys were on a few of what they perceive as big contributors next year.  With Hartman not playing I would imagine soft would be used only a couple hitters in the group.  One only plays offense and the other had a bag mishap from a teammate.  I am curious what Sophs do you anticipate playing where.  I think a boatload of juniors mixed with about 8 seniors.  My concern is QB.  Noon has to stay injury fee.  Enough about Benke and Bottom.  May be great athletes but you are not going to miss this amount of time and be a key contributor at QB.  Not with this playbook.

51 minutes ago, Bird Bath said:

Nice recap!  Thanks for the info on coaches.  I heard green Jerseys were on a few of what they perceive as big contributors next year.  With Hartman not playing I would imagine soft would be used only a couple hitters in the group.  One only plays offense and the other had a bag mishap from a teammate.  I am curious what Sophs do you anticipate playing where.  I think a boatload of juniors mixed with about 8 seniors.  My concern is QB.  Noon has to stay injury fee.  Enough about Benke and Bottom.  May be great athletes but you are not going to miss this amount of time and be a key contributor at QB.  Not with this playbook.

I would be shocked if the following young men are not playing a lot of varsity football as sophomores: Roller, Fenik, Shelton, Matteoli, Class, Hinegardner, Boler, Schweitzer (if healthy), and Benke. If Benke isn’t playing QB, he needs, and I think will, be playing somewhere; whether it be TE, WR, or DB. Saying “enough about Benke” is ignorant. Not many kids in NKY who are 6’4 200 that run like a deer and have great ball skills... just saying. I wouldn’t be shocked with what I’ve heard to see Noon and Benke both play some QB and both play some WR/DB. 

• Like 2