Highlands - 2021 Schedule

7 hours ago, Velvet Jones said:

Yes there was. I happen to meet some of my buddies from college who were Bluebirds at the Highland Country Club and it seemed there were a lot of Bluebird supporters meeting the new coach at a dinner. 

Sold out Dinner.  Well done event and the atmosphere has returned!  Town folks are excited and our Mayberry has awakened!  Protect the nest #1March

I hung out with a 2021 Highlands football grad last night.  He had no idea who I was and I asked him about the team this year, he told me he thought Highlands would be pretty good.  I hope he right.

He also clearly loved Coach Weinrich and he told me he thought Newport was a team watch. 

• Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 5:41 PM, theguru said:

They should be.

On 7/27/2021 at 4:24 PM, Jack of all Trades said:

So did Highlands have a new/old player back today?  

Highlands is having a full contact practice as we speak. Hope when done somebody can give us a full report.

I don't know about the player your referring to.

• Like 1

Just now, Jack of all Trades said:

I was always told it was insecurity that someone wanted to take that job.  I know some very experienced former head coaches inquired about helping with very specific things and all were turned away.

Thanks.

And if Coach Barre wanted to help with something/anything at Highlands I would bring him onboard immediately.  He is an amazing man and football coach.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, theguru said:

Thanks.

And if Coach Barre wanted to help with something/anything at Highlands I would bring him onboard immediately.  He is an amazing man and football coach.

He was not one of them, but yes he would be very good person to speak with a high school or junior high school team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack of all Trades said:

He was not one of them, but yes he would be very good person to speak with a high school or junior high school team.

Barre basically knows "the Highlands way" as well as anyone.

Barre's first year of coaching football was in 1974 at Beechwood under head coach Fred Mariani, who got his start in coaching as an assistant to Owen Hauck, and then later under Mike Murphy at Highlands. And Owen Hauck got his first job coaching 11-man football as an assistant to Homer Rice (after one year as a head coach of the 6-man football squad at Burlington High School.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theguru said:

My old high school coach, Bernie Barre, stopped by to talk to the Birds today.

May be an image of one or more people, people playing football, people standing and grass

Coach Barre was the head coach at Beechwood when I was an assistant at Paris HS. We played them in 89 and the early 90's. Tremendous football coach.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Coach Barre was the head coach at Beechwood when I was an assistant at Paris HS. We played them in 89 and the early 90's. Tremendous football coach.

I agree Coach.  I could go on and on, Coach Barre is a second father figure to me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, theguru said:

My old high school coach, Bernie Barre, stopped by to talk to the Birds today.

May be an image of one or more people, people playing football, people standing and grass

I’ve known Coach Barre and his family since I was in diapers; awesome man and a great family (he raised two ridiculous athletes by the way). Really glad to see him (and hopefully more) welcomed back to the program. 

In terms of your question as to why the former HC wouldn’t let things like this happened, I believe there was a lot of paranoia and it unfortunately stripped the program of A LOT (I can’t stress how many!) of traditions that made the program special. 

• Thanks 1