St. Henry 69 Bishop Brossart 56

On this senior's night for the Crusaders (10 seniors), they came out of the gate running on all cylinders completely dominating the visiting Mustangs, frustrating them with smothering relentless defense, and taking a 19 point lead into halftime. The Mustangs looked lost, beat, and limp. 

But wait a minute, for Coach Code must’ve lit a fire up under his guys in the locker room because they came out in the 3rd period looking like a totally different team going on a big run closing that 19 point St. Henry lead into an 8 point gap. 

At that point in the game you had to wonder how in the world the roles had changed so dramatically. The 3rd period ended ultimately with the Mustangs down 12, and St. Henry came back to life in the 4th to secure the win, but you gotta hand it to the Mustangs for pulling themselves up by their bootstraps to make what originally seemed like a blowout, an interesting and competitive game, all said and done. 

Sorry, but I don’t have any stats. 

While I would like to dispute the description of our first half, I can't.  Pretty fair assessment.  The Mustangs turned the ball over on 9 occasions, and shot a paltry 4 of 14 from the field during that time span.

The Cru hasn't risen to become the Number 9 ranked team in the state by being a bunch of shy guys.  They play hard, they play together and they play stifling defense.  I can only image the level of intensity exhibited daily at practice.  Did I say they are mature.  This varsity team features 10 Seniors and 2 Juniors.  Nine of them put numbers on the scoreboard.

Two major events took place in the second half.  The Mustangs abandoned trying to score via multiple pass half court offense and attacked the rim.  Brossart big man, Junior David Govan, who accounted for four points in the first half, became a potent weapon, unleashing his fury on the Cru for 15 points in the second half, with 12 of those coming in the third quarter.  Senior captain and the team's leading scorer, Stephen Verst, who had been limited to a single hoop in the first half, determined the need to "take over" the offense, and put up 17 in the second half, with 15 of his picking up where Govan had left off, in the fourth stanza.   We are the return of Senior guard Carson Schirmer away from being bona fide legitimate.  Until that happens we will continue to scrape and claw, taking what we can get out of our present unit, while gaining valuable experience for the future.

Verst and Govan led all scorers with 19 points each, and Stephen Verst pulled down 9 rebounds.  Jude Bessler (15), Wyatt Vieth (15), and Cody Teeten (10) all recorded double-figures for the Cru. 

Mustangs (4-3)  take on Campbell County in the annual Crosstown "Covid" Classic on Saturday night at the Campbell County High School in Claryville.  St. Henry ( 6-1) hosts NCC in Erlanger on Friday night.

• Thanks 2

The Mustangs desperately missed Schirmer in the 1st half when dealing with the Cru's stifling man to man.  I was impressed with the halftime adjustments that Coach Code made.  St Henry is legit good.  Excellent help defense and their passing on the offensive end is stellar.  Coach Faust has a good squad and he has them prepared and ready for another All A run.  I would not want to draw them when the 9th region tournament comes around.  

• Like 1