4 months to go!! - Cicada Apocalypse

PP1

I decided to work outside in the backyard last Sunday.  I should have taken a photo, but I was working in an area that we had just had cleared of trees and brush in February.  The ground that was bear, looked like a honey comb with holes where these guys surfaced.  Yet I've seen none so far.  Kinda creepy, knowing they surfaced and not seeing them. 

Yesterday, I played a golf outing at Devou Park in Covington.  I heard them all day in the woods, but didn't see any until the 17th hole (the straight downhill par 3).  All of us were bombarded by cicadas on that hole!  We all had multiple ones buzz us or land on us as we were trying to swing off the tee.  It must have been the World Headquarters for Brood X!

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2021 at 9:35 PM, The Raven said:

Man, the rain and 50 degree temps really cooled their pepper.    Did not see or hear a thing today.

And as things heat up today, I already see a very clear uptick in cicada activity - both the noise and number of cicadas flying around.

8 hours ago, Mustang said:

Virtually none in Alexandria in the vicinity of Tollgate Road and Brossart High School.

I live in Gunpowder Creek in Boone County and there are some but just a couple miles from my crib it is a madhouse.  Weird. 

On 6/2/2021 at 8:01 AM, theguru said:

I live in Gunpowder Creek in Boone County and there are some but just a couple miles from my crib it is a madhouse.  Weird. 

I was up in NKY the weekend before last. Two of my brothers live about a tenth of a mile from each other in Fort Wright. I swung by one of their houses to drop something off on the way to the other's house....one of them had maybe a couple dozen in his yard, and at the other's house, pulling into the driveway was reminiscent of the scene  where they open the Well Of Souls in Raiders Of The Lost Ark...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I was up in NKY the weekend before last. Two of my brothers live about a tenth of a mile from each other in Fort Wright. I swung by one of their houses to drop something off on the way to the other's house....one of them had maybe a couple dozen in his yard, and at the other's house, pulling into the driveway was reminiscent of a scene from Raiders Of The Lost Ark...

I'll take cicadas over snakes any day!

• Like 1