Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

4 months to go!! - Cicada Apocalypse

Featured Replies

Came home from vacation yesterday.  First thing I noticed is that my yard smelled like an animal died was there.  No dead animal, but thousands of dead cicadas and even more live ones In the trees.

Another note.....as someone who grew up with this cycle, I remember thinking about how old I would be the next time they came out.  For the first time ever, I am hoping I will be ALIVE the next time they come out!  I am officially old.

  • Replies 86
  • Views 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Colonels_Wear_Blue
    Colonels_Wear_Blue

    ?‍♂️?‍♂️

  • Colonels_Wear_Blue
    Colonels_Wear_Blue

    This made me laugh...  

  • Defense_Wins_Games
    Defense_Wins_Games

    In 2004, I thought they were pretty crazy in Boone County or at least at my house.  My daughter was four.....I really traumatized her with the cicadas.  I asked her to walk behind me along the fence l

Posted Images

Still zero sightings or sounds of cicadas in the part of southeast Kentucky I live, Owsley County. 

3 hours ago, Defense_Wins_Games said:

I think they are gone!!  I haven't heard a peep in about a week!

Same, I miss them. 

Never heard a single one here in western northeast Kentucky.

I have one hit my window screen late last week while I was working.  Poor guy was obviously lost.

2 hours ago, mcpapa said:

Never heard a single one here in western northeast Kentucky.

Got it. You have the all clear to turn the hearing aids on again.

4 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Got it. You have the all clear to turn the hearing aids on again.

Did you say something?

11 hours ago, nkypete said:

I have one hit my window screen late last week while I was working.  Poor guy was obviously lost.

Lookin' for love in too many places.

They have awakened in Bowling Green. I thought we might have dodged it but the air is abuzz this morning. 

The Brood XIV periodical cicadas are supposed to be emerging any day now, and it envelopes much more of Kentucky than the Brood X cicadas that hit northern Kentucky back in 2021.

Evidently the experts are saying they think the amount of rain we've had this spring will postpone their emergence a little, but at this point they're evidently due at any time. I saw on Twitter this morning that some folks near Painsville, KY Hillsboro, OH and Hurricane, WV have had them starting to pop up.

Anyone seeing any in their neck of the woods?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.