4 months to go!! - Cicada Apocalypse

PP1

Four months until the Cicada Apocalypse. My first experience was in 1987 as a six year old when we moved here from Michigan City, Indiana. I got married in May of 2004 and remember a couple in our car as we left the church. I am really not looking forward to them this year. This is my first as a golfer so we will see how fun the golf course will be. I also wonder if my family will be venturing out to Silverlake Waterpark in Erlanger.

I know some people that eat these ugly bugs, but I have never had the courage.

How do you feel about the upcoming onslaught?

• Like 1

• theguru changed the title to 4 months to go!! - Cicada Apocalypse

I've been telling all the other residents that my wife works with about this, haha. None of them are from the area, and they're almost all completely clueless.

They keep saying, "Oh, we have them where I'm from. They just show up every year around July or August though."

I just laugh and tell them they have NO IDEA what they're in for 😂

On 1/19/2021 at 8:26 PM, The Raven said:

I remember the 1987 wave.    I don't remember 2004 being too bad.   In NKY, there's been so much development, I wouldn't be shocked if the attempts to emerge were thwarted by concrete foundations.

Boone County and Independence in NKY apparently both had a notable lighter loads of cicadas in 2004 because of the glut of subdivisions that popped up there between '87 and '04.

• 4 weeks later...

1970 didn't really register with me - I was only 8 and not really paying attention, and they weren't that bad where I lived - but in 1987 I was in Morgan County, KY, where my grandparents lived and I experienced that brood...   OMG.   Thought it was a machine of some sort, it was so loud outside.   Couldn't conceive of that much noise coming from bugs.

Back in 2004, my oldest son had just finished 8th grade. He broke his leg near the end of the school year.  He was pretty much cooped up in the house for the summer.  His outside chores including cutting the grass were turned over to his younger brother.  17 years later, due to the cicadas in 2004, I don't think forgiveness has taken place between the brothers yet!

37 minutes ago, nkypete said:

Back in 2004, my oldest son had just finished 8th grade. He broke his leg near the end of the school year.  He was pretty much cooped up in the house for the summer.  His outside chores including cutting the grass were turned over to his younger brother.  17 years later, due to the cicadas in 2004, I don't think forgiveness has taken place between the brothers yet!

It's funny, I remember hearing talk about cicadas swarming people cutting the grass because of the sound the lawnmower makes.....didn't happen a single time when I cut the grass.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

It's funny, I remember hearing talk about cicadas swarming people cutting the grass because of the sound the lawnmower makes.....didn't happen a single time when I cut the grass.

Maybe you weren't Cicada Queen material!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In 2004, I thought they were pretty crazy in Boone County or at least at my house.  My daughter was four.....I really traumatized her with the cicadas.  I asked her to walk behind me along the fence lined with trees and as I came to each branch, I would yank on them sending the little bugs flying in all directions, mostly at her......I don't know that she has ever forgiven me for that.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Defense_Wins_Games said:

In 2004, I thought they were pretty crazy in Boone County or at least at my house.  My daughter was four.....I really traumatized her with the cicadas.  I asked her to walk behind me along the fence lined with trees and as I came to each branch, I would yank on them sending the little bugs flying in all directions, mostly at her......I don't know that she has ever forgiven me for that.

Borderline abuse right there.

• Haha 2