Now that the Dust has settled on the 2006 4A Season...

Riverside 157

^ I thought that 06 would be a very focused and determined team. Given the talent returning at the skill positions and comments of speed galore... Well, we just could not get it done in the big games. I thought we may have been overhyped.... I watched a lot of the games this year and I will say that the 1 - 2 punch of Anderson and Finch really never materialize to the point that the defense never know who was going to run the ball. If I recall correctly, it was very rare to see both in the game at the same time.... This is the point I make in utilizing all the offensive weapons. If you have 5 weapons, but em on the field at the same time, utilize the speed, force the defense to cover all and then throw in some creative play calling..... Now that is scary. But it never happened. I hope we had a learning experience this season from a player and coaching perspective. I never saw the team play with emotion and enthusiasm (like they really wanted to win...) vs. Trinity, Male and Male. I have watched X football for 30 years and this team did not have emotion and was not successful in generating it on the field. Looking forward to 2007 and the new stadium. It will be interesting.

I agree on the honest discussion.

Here's my take on some of your points. Focused and determined- This team had a lack of senior leadership. It took 2 players from the 05 team to get them up for the 2nd half against Male. This led to the lack of emotion the rest of the year.

Talent yes but remember that both Tailbacks took turns being hurt. Deuce started by breaking his hand in the preseason. Victor got cramps at Bowling Green. Duece got cramps at Paul Brown. Lexington Catholic was a solid one two punch game along with Fern Creek. Victor went out hurt ( leg) in the Trinity game. Vic got better but broke his hand before the Iroquois game. Manual and Male were mud games and Victor twisted his knee in the first playoff game against Manual and Deuce was still carrying all season long the turf toe injury.

I agree that it would of been nice to get them both in but since their back up ( D J Hall) went out also, the coaches were limited to few games where both were healthy at the same time.

I agree that spreading the field can cause the defense fits if we execute. We threw the ball 29 times against Male in the playoffs but we dropped 6 passes, ran wrong routes and got the match ups we wanted but didn't get it done. It has been mentioned that you have to be balanced to be successful- Victor got 127 yards and Zoeller gained good yards against Male. But we kept doing what we don't do well. Did we throw alot as freshmen? Sophomores? Juniors? No, we start to think that we should throw against the #1 ranked team in the state. Maybe our talent was overhyped.

One other point that doesn't get mentioned much is that Wade took all of the snaps in the spring 7 on 7 and much of the preseason because of the knee surgery to Zoeller. The reps have to be had to get the timing down on the passing patterns.

Once again, I feel your frustration but look to the future. It is bright. 2006 had 3 returning starters. 2007 should be a better year for the Tigers. But we have to knock out the champ to claim the title. The Rocks will get their wish and be ranked #1 in the preseason. That just means a bullseye on their back like the last 2 years preseason #1.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree about St.X being #3 when all was said and done. They had a pretty good team this year but I think that Henry Clay was a better team than the Tigers this year.

That's why I put IMHO. Besides, as they say, the view is all the same unless you're the lead dog.;)

^ jimmyref thanks for the insight. The rash of injuries is one thing that I did not consider in assessing 06. Hopefully we can get to and through 07 with minimal injuries. I think the passing concept is a good thing and it will pay dividens when excuted correctly. To be primarly one dimentional, the run, the line has to be very dominate. We were not dominate on the line this year (IMHO) which led to offensive inefficiencies (problems)... Need better line agility and speed...

what about Henderson's season. Losing a just about all of their offense, not to mention one of the best players in Fidler, having a teammate pass away and make the final 4. If anybody had said this team would make the final 4 I would call them crazy. Duffer and his staff did a great job this year.

what about Henderson's season. Losing a just about all of their offense, not to mention one of the best players in Fidler, having a teammate pass away and make the final 4. If anybody had said this team would make the final 4 I would call them crazy. Duffer and his staff did a great job this year.

Who did they beat in the playoffs to make the final four?

I agree on the honest discussion.

Here's my take on some of your points. Focused and determined- This team had a lack of senior leadership. It took 2 players from the 05 team to get them up for the 2nd half against Male. This led to the lack of emotion the rest of the year.

Talent yes but remember that both Tailbacks took turns being hurt. Deuce started by breaking his hand in the preseason. Victor got cramps at Bowling Green. Duece got cramps at Paul Brown. Lexington Catholic was a solid one two punch game along with Fern Creek. Victor went out hurt ( leg) in the Trinity game. Vic got better but broke his hand before the Iroquois game. Manual and Male were mud games and Victor twisted his knee in the first playoff game against Manual and Deuce was still carrying all season long the turf toe injury.

I agree that it would of been nice to get them both in but since their back up ( D J Hall) went out also, the coaches were limited to few games where both were healthy at the same time.

I agree that spreading the field can cause the defense fits if we execute. We threw the ball 29 times against Male in the playoffs but we dropped 6 passes, ran wrong routes and got the match ups we wanted but didn't get it done. It has been mentioned that you have to be balanced to be successful- Victor got 127 yards and Zoeller gained good yards against Male. But we kept doing what we don't do well. Did we throw alot as freshmen? Sophomores? Juniors? No, we start to think that we should throw against the #1 ranked team in the state. Maybe our talent was overhyped.

One other point that doesn't get mentioned much is that Wade took all of the snaps in the spring 7 on 7 and much of the preseason because of the knee surgery to Zoeller. The reps have to be had to get the timing down on the passing patterns.

Once again, I feel your frustration but look to the future. It is bright. 2006 had 3 returning starters. 2007 should be a better year for the Tigers. But we have to knock out the champ to claim the title. The Rocks will get their wish and be ranked #1 in the preseason. That just means a bullseye on their back like the last 2 years preseason #1.

We need Tight ends that can not only block but CATCH the ball as well. I was not impressed with our ability to catch balls thrown to that position. If I had to guess I would say

Kudos to the Rocks. They just keep on winning.

Kudos to the kids @ Henderson Co & staff. Thumbs up:ylsuper:

Thumbs down to Christian Co-underachieved again.

Thumbs down to Owensboro Sr, hick-up'd @ the wrong time.

Thumbs down to Western Ky 4-A football, down again.

Thumbs up to Grayson Co, fine season.

Warren Central-sorry bout that:p

thumbs up to Male, u had a great season anyway:thumb:

Dang u Ryle:madman:

Kudos to the Rocks. They just keep on winning.

Kudos to the kids @ Henderson Co & staff. Thumbs up:ylsuper:

Thumbs down to Christian Co-underachieved again.

Thumbs down to Owensboro Sr, hick-up'd @ the wrong time.

Thumbs down to Western Ky 4-A football, down again.

Thumbs up to Grayson Co, fine season.

Warren Central-sorry bout that:p

thumbs up to Male, u had a great season anyway:thumb:

Dang u Ryle:madman:

Bless your heart! More people need to tell them that!:thumb:

I have watched St. X football from a distance for the past 25 to 30 years. I have been a great deal more than a casual observer for the past 8 years, through sons of personal friends, my own son and his friends, who have been or are involved in the program on the field.

In all that time, I have never, and I mean NEVER!, seen as much division between the Senior and Junior classes as there was in 2006. The TEAM concept didn't materialize.

JMHO, but it was almost like there was an entitlement mentality that existed among this Senior class that could not be overcome.

Was it a coaching issue? Maybe. Was it a player issue? Maybe. No one will ever know the answer to those questions.

I have over heard a lot of different Juniors make the comment since the end of the season, that they were glad the season was over. I hope they don't forget their statements next year and embrace the talent that is at the current Sophomore and Freshman level and include them as part of the TEAM. I believe they will. I predict great things for the St. X football program in 2007. They’ll be a force to be reckoned with.

Watch out Kentucky,

HERE COME THE TIGERS!

Trinity "what can one say but wow

Male "just as deserving to win it as Trinity"

X "I know they only lost to male and Trinity, but I still think they did not have it this year"

PRP "every year they say this could be the year they compete with X and Male, it never happens"

Ballard "good talent but just can't compete with T in the district"

Manual "a solid team I just thought they were a little young"

Ryle "congrats to making it to final" congrats

HC best 4-a team in NKY and maybe better than COVCATH

^^ Thanks BCat for the insight. I had not heard of these things but the picture is getting clearer.... NOT WANTING TO BEAT A DEAD HORSE, but it seems to me that these types of things would be picked up by the coaching staff. I would anticipate that there are certian "drills" which flush out all of this type stuff in the summer and early fall in an attempt to build team unity. I would suspect that all of that was done and addressed. I understand that sometimes these situations exist, the challenge is to eliminate them before they become an issue. We need to reexamine our efforts and thoughts on this subject such that this type of situation will not rear its head again.... Amen.