Spin Bike Advice

TheDeuce

8 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

We bought a spin bike this morning. I have got to lose some weight and a treadmill just wasn’t an option. Any bike riders out there willing to lend some advice to a beginner?

What did you buy?

And I am interested to hear what everyone has to say here. 

21 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Yeah we got the Peloton app.

Good on you to be proactive with your body/health.  I cut out regular Mountain Dew, for Diet Dew (with still probably isn’t great) and lost 15 pounds in about 10 months.  That was with limited physical exercise as well.  Look for even a small, consistent, tweak in your diet as well.

• Like 1

We have a Peloton that we bought last April when it was obvious the pandemic wasn't going away. With outdoor season coming to a close, I will now spend more time on it.

I have been doing some variation of spin workouts for about 12 years now so what is my advice:

1) Make sure you are properly fitted on the bike. If you have the Peloton app, I think they have an intro class that shows you how to properly adjust your saddle height. Your legs should not be bunched up, nor should they be locked out. The slightest of bend in your knees.

2) Equally as important is your handlebar height. Form is crucial with biking. It keeps you comfortable and prevents injury. It should not look like you are riding a motorcycle.

3) Have good fitting bike shorts. Don't be cheap and save a few bucks by A) Not buying any, or B) Buying cheap bike shorts. Get a few decent pair. They will last you a few years.

4) If you are not clipping in to your bike, change that. The amount of power and quality of workout you can generate is so much better.

5) Not a must, but get a hear rate monitor. Spinning has a tendency to get you in to these grooves where you do not work as hard as you can.... even with the adjusted resistances. A heart rate monitor keeps you honest.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bugatti said:

We have a Peloton that we bought last April when it was obvious the pandemic wasn't going away. With outdoor season coming to a close, I will now spend more time on it.

I have been doing some variation of spin workouts for about 12 years now so what is my advice:

1) Make sure you are properly fitted on the bike. If you have the Peloton app, I think they have an intro class that shows you how to properly adjust your saddle height. Your legs should not be bunched up, nor should they be locked out. The slightest of bend in your knees.

2) Equally as important is your handlebar height. Form is crucial with biking. It keeps you comfortable and prevents injury. It should not look like you are riding a motorcycle.

3) Have good fitting bike shorts. Don't be cheap and save a few bucks by A) Not buying any, or B) Buying cheap bike shorts. Get a few decent pair. They will last you a few years.

4) If you are not clipping in to your bike, change that. The amount of power and quality of workout you can generate is so much better.

5) Not a must, but get a hear rate monitor. Spinning has a tendency to get you in to these grooves where you do not work as hard as you can.... even with the adjusted resistances. A heart rate monitor keeps you honest.

I was hoping you would chime in!

I found a video that explained how to adjust the seat and handlebars correctly, so I think we've got that taken care of. 

I will definitely be getting some shorts, any recommendations?

I was also considering getting some bike shoes so I could clip in, but didn't know how much it would really matter. With your advice I will now be getting those as well. 

I already had a heart rate monitor, and since the bike we got doesn't have any electronics, I also got a cadence sensor to connect with the Peloton app. Having those two things is awesome with the app. 

13 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I was hoping you would chime in!

I found a video that explained how to adjust the seat and handlebars correctly, so I think we've got that taken care of. 

I will definitely be getting some shorts, any recommendations?

I was also considering getting some bike shoes so I could clip in, but didn't know how much it would really matter. With your advice I will now be getting those as well. 

I already had a heart rate monitor, and since the bike we got doesn't have any electronics, I also got a cadence sensor to connect with the Peloton app. Having those two things is awesome with the app. 

I am probably not the best for advice on bike shorts since I have no rear. I have a couple pair of 2XU, but that is more so for triathletes.

I have a couple pair of Pearl Izumi bike shorts that you might like.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, bugatti said:

How is the spinning coming, @TheDeuce?

I'm riding anywhere from 1-3 times a week. Still getting used to it to be honest. I think I've figured out you'll never be comfortable on the seat, that's been a big mental hurdle, LOL. 

It has served its purpose though, which was to get me moving more than I was. Once it gets warm again and I can get outside more, I'm not sure how much I'll use it, but the convenience of having it right at home is awesome. 

Thanks for asking!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

I'm riding anywhere from 1-3 times a week. Still getting used to it to be honest. I think I've figured out you'll never be comfortable on the seat, that's been a big mental hurdle, LOL. 

It has served its purpose though, which was to get me moving more than I was. Once it gets warm again and I can get outside more, I'm not sure how much I'll use it, but the convenience of having it right at home is awesome. 

Thanks for asking!

I know comfort is relative, but if it a constant battle to get comfortable, more than likely your positioning is off.

FAQs - Kontact Bike

I know it is odd, but really one should balancing on top of your two sit bones while on a saddle.

Best of luck and keep it up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bugatti said:

I know comfort is relative, but if it a constant battle to get comfortable, more than likely your positioning is off.

FAQs - Kontact Bike

I know it is odd, but really one should balancing on top of your two sit bones while on a saddle.

Best of luck and keep it up!

Once I get on and get going, I am usually alright. I try not to move too much once I'm riding because once I'm "adjusted," it sucks trying to get readjusted mid-ride. I haven't done many rides when I have to be up and down on the seat so I can usually avoid too much movement on the seat.