Newport 21 Covington Holy Cross 20

nkypete

Summary of game.  For full stats and play-by-play, see below:

https://stats.digitalscout.com/football/boys/game/12567666

The Newport Wildcats hold on to defeat the Covington Holy Cross Indians 21-20 in a battle at Newport Stadium.  Newport QB Ethan Jefferson spread the ball to multiple receivers and threw for 236 yards and 2 touchdowns.  He also ran for another score.  Holy Cross had the run game in high gear tonight with Jeremiah Hicks rushing for 146 yards and 2 TDs and Lavarr Jones adding 82 more yards and another score.  Time of Possession told the story of the different team approaches (HC held the ball for twice as much as Newport).  Newport was quick strike while HC grinded it out on the ground.  A blocked extra point was the difference.  Holy Cross had several opportunities in the 4th quarter to pull ahead, but fell short each time.  

Covington Holy Cross (1-5) comes back home to take on Lloyd (2-2) next Friday night while Newport (4-2) stays home to take on Beechwood (4-2).

Capture.JPG

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, nkypete said:

Summary of game.  For full stats and play-by-play, see below:

https://stats.digitalscout.com/football/boys/game/12567666

The Newport Wildcats hold on to defeat the Covington Holy Cross Indians 21-20 in a battle at Newport Stadium.  Newport QB Ethan Jefferson spread the ball to multiple receivers and threw for 236 yards and 2 touchdowns.  He also ran for another score.  Holy Cross had the run game in high gear tonight with Jeremiah Hicks rushing for 146 yards and 2 TDs and Lavarr Jones adding 82 more yards and another score.  Time of Possession told the story of the different team approaches (HC held the ball for twice as much as Newport).  Newport was quick strike while HC grinded it out on the ground.  A blocked extra point was the difference.  Holy Cross had several opportunities in the 4th quarter to pull ahead, but fell short each time.  

Covington Holy Cross (1-5) comes back home to take on Lloyd (2-2) next Friday night while Newport (4-2) stays home to take on Beechwood (4-2).

Capture.JPG

Thanks @nkypete, you're a good man. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I thought Holy Cross had a shot at the upset. They almost pulled it off.

Good call on your part, bad on mine.  I expected Newport to put more points on the board than they did and after really strong defensive performances against NCC and Lloyd I did not expect Holy Cross to move the ball up and down the field the way they did.  Holy Cross should have won this game.

Ethan Jefferson is very quietly putting together a really solid season in his 1st year as a varsity QB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Herefortheunderdogs said:

The ref had the biggest stop of the game and probably the best hit of the game in the 4th quarter with under a minute left in the game, on 3rd down! I was watching A live on fb and caught this action!

It was the back judge who was apparently inexperienced at that position. With HC that close to Newport’s goal line, it would have been more appropriate for the back judge to be under the goal post. Instead he was in the front of the end zone. The back judge absolutely hammered McClendon as he was breaking free to catch the potential go ahead and winning score. He was wide open (or so he thought). McClendon was shaken up on the play.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Unfortunate by the back judge. Not sure it would have been completed. Looks unlikely to me but we will never know for sure.

McClendon has great speed and he had this pass in his sights. Back judge didn’t move and take himself out of the action. We will never know.

Just now, nkypete said:

McClendon has great speed and he had this pass in his sights. Back judge didn’t move and take himself out of the action. We will never know.

Agreed. Did the pass land in the end zone? It looks like it may have hit the ground out of bounds. Plus there were two Wildcats in position to make a play as well. It certainly was not a sure catch but McClendon is a heck of an athlete se he may have been able to get there and make the catch. 

7 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Agreed. Did the pass land in the end zone? It looks like it may have hit the ground out of bounds. Plus there were two Wildcats in position to make a play as well. It certainly was not a sure catch but McClendon is a heck of an athlete se he may have been able to get there and make the catch. 

It sure looked from my vantage point that McClendon had successfully split the defenders and was attempting at least a leaping figure tip catch.  The pass was pretty good from Ison.