Bryan Station 25 Oldham County 20

Well-earned win by Bryan Station.    Jenkins was unstoppable on the receiving end of some good passing by Coffey.    Very impressed by Coffey, who was in command the entire game, threw the ball well, and ran it even better.   Most elusive QB I've seen in a long, long time.

Oldham had trouble running the ball, but Sam Young was pretty efficient through the air, and kept the pressure on the Defenders with his passing (two TDs) and running (one TD).

Unfortunately for two solid teams who put on a very entertaining game, the officiating did not rise to the occasion.   Although neither team seemed to overly benefit one way or the other, the calls - and often, a complete lack of calls - was concerning.   I believe in giving the officials the benefit of the doubt - but it certainly wasn't their best night.

I'm still trying to figure out the offensive pass interference penalty on Oldham County in the second half, when the Colonels - who had the ball on the Bryan Station 12 - were penalized 20 yards, with the officials moving the ball back to the 32(!?).   Amazingly, after a protest from the Oldham coaches, the officials huddled - and left the ball at the 32!   Apparently, they "lost" the original spot of the line of scrimmage(?).    I've never seen anything like that before in 41 years of broadcasting sports.

(in a bit of "football justice", Oldham's Sam Young threw a 32 yard TD pass on the very next play).

Still, an exciting game.   It came down to the final three minutes of the contest, when Bryan Station rallied from a 20-19 deficit (after Oldham had rallied from being down 19-7) to score the winning TD.

Congrats to the Defenders, and good luck to Oldham next week at George Rogers Clark.
CM

• Like 1